Bill

Default Who has a Fire Safe? AnyTestimonials?

Hello,

I am in the market for fire rated long gun safe, and maybe an additonal
Sentry or Brinks fire rated file chest (or fire rated cabinet) for important
files.

I would love to hear 1st or 2nd hand knowledge of how well those small fire
chests held up in a fire, or how well a particular gun safe held up against
a theft or natural disater.

Real life stories mean more to me than website statistics or promises.

Thanks in advance.

SQLit

"Bill" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for fire rated long gun safe, and maybe an additonal
Sentry or Brinks fire rated file chest (or fire rated cabinet) for

important
files.

I would love to hear 1st or 2nd hand knowledge of how well those small

fire
chests held up in a fire, or how well a particular gun safe held up

against
a theft or natural disater.

Real life stories mean more to me than website statistics or promises.

Thanks in advance.

I bought an American Security gun safe. Still hoping I do not find out if it
works or not.
Mine was in the middle of the fire ratings and was the bottom end explosion
proof.

---

Greg

I am skeptical of the theft protection of most of these homeowner safes but
fire resistance is a real issue, U/L rates them and I trust the U/L fire
rating.
Theft protection is only as good as the next "trick" U/L didn't think of.
tcg

"Bill" wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I am in the market for fire rated long gun safe, and maybe an additonal
| Sentry or Brinks fire rated file chest (or fire rated cabinet) for
important
| files.
|
| I would love to hear 1st or 2nd hand knowledge of how well those small
fire
| chests held up in a fire, or how well a particular gun safe held up
against
| a theft or natural disater.
|
| Real life stories mean more to me than website statistics or promises.
|
| Thanks in advance.

Had a small fireproof box, Sentry 1100, that survived an infernal that was
caused by a propane gas grill malfunctioning and causing a fire which
destroyed about 1/3 of my home. I pulled this box from the ashes with all
documents inside intact and am still using the same scarred box today.

Doug Kanter

"Greg" wrote in message
I am skeptical of the theft protection of most of these homeowner safes

but
fire resistance is a real issue, U/L rates them and I trust the U/L fire
rating.
Theft protection is only as good as the next "trick" U/L didn't think of.

What kinds of stuff do you need to protect? If it's papers you rarely need
to access, get a safe deposit box. If it's guns, find someone who's got the
latest issue of the NRA's American Rifleman magazine, which contained a good
article on safes & fire protection ratings. If you can find a gun shop, they
might have a copy under the counter. It's a 5 minute read. Take notes.

SQLit

"Greg" wrote in message
I am skeptical of the theft protection of most of these homeowner safes

but
fire resistance is a real issue, U/L rates them and I trust the U/L fire
rating.
Theft protection is only as good as the next "trick" U/L didn't think of.

With the house alarmed and the safe weighted in at 800 pounds empty. I
figure if they can get it to the front door loaded I will hold the door for
them.

---

Greg

With the house alarmed and the safe weighted in at 800 pounds empty. I
figure if they can get it to the front door loaded I will hold the door for
them.

If you have ever used a diamond blade in a cutoff saw you start to wonder just
exactly what it would take to stop a determined thief.
Unfortunately it is the guy who figures out the next "trick" who is the most
dangerous. I am reminded of the "pick proof" drum locks that can be opened with
a ball point pen..
JerryMouse

Bill wrote:
Hello,

I am in the market for fire rated long gun safe, and maybe an
additonal Sentry or Brinks fire rated file chest (or fire rated
cabinet) for important files.

I would love to hear 1st or 2nd hand knowledge of how well those
small fire chests held up in a fire, or how well a particular gun
safe held up against a theft or natural disater.

Real life stories mean more to me than website statistics or promises.

Thanks in advance.

Fire safes and theft safes are (almost) mutually exclusive. You're asking
for the equivalent of a fire truck and armored car. While possible, each is
designed differently.

The best anti-theft safe - for smaller items - is the kind installed in your
concrete slab. You can rent a saw that will drill the hole in the slab for
not much, then drop in the safe, add some concrete around the edge. Bingo.
Now this one IS fire and theft resistant!

Here's one more trick for your gun safe: Drill an itty-bitty hole through
the floor and, through this hole, run some wires connected to a switch on
the door. The other ends of the wire go through a hidden disabling switch to
the holdup alarm on your security system.

When you need to open the safe, activate the secret switch - no problem. If
some do-bad hacks through the safe, or if he's holding a gun to your head to
make you open the safe, the moment the door opens, the calvary is on the
way.

Even more exotic is to wire another switch to the back wall of the safe. If
the safe is moved, same thing.

John Gilmer

Fire safes and theft safes are (almost) mutually exclusive. You're asking
for the equivalent of a fire truck and armored car. While possible, each

is
designed differently.

I don't believe that's true at all.

Theft protection requires a strong steel shell and provisions for attaching
it to the house or floor with bolts that require the box to be opened for
installation and removal.

To make the box "fire safe" you just add some insulation on the inside and
protect the insulation from physical damage with a plastic or thin guage
metal sheet.

But the strong box also protects the box from crushing and destruction of
the contends if the house falls in as a result of the fire.

BTW: a floor safe should be VERY waterproof as one result of a fire is a lot
of water ending up in the basement. It would not hurt to put important
stuff (even handguns or watches) into zipper type freezer bags for extra
protection from water damage.