Eric

Default Square footage

I have seen allot of people mention how many square feet their house is. I
know how to measure sq. ft. But what parts of a house do you measure & which
do you not? I would imagine the bedrooms, living rm, kitchen, & dens. But
what about hallways, baths and basements? TIA

--

Pop

Jarkat2002

air conditioned or heated floor space

excluding basment, even if used as living space.
~Kat

"help is on the way"
~John Kerry
JerryMouse

Jarkat2002 wrote:
air conditioned or heated floor space

excluding basment, even if used as living space.
~Kat

Why? It's a two-story house with one level below ground.

According to Dilbert's dream house, it's not only cheaper to put the second
floor below ground, it's WAY cheaper to heat and cool the result.

http://dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/duh/

Eric

Thanks all!!

--
Pop

Peter H

Eric wrote:
I have seen allot of people mention how many square feet their house is. I
know how to measure sq. ft. But what parts of a house do you measure & which
do you not? I would imagine the bedrooms, living rm, kitchen, & dens. But
what about hallways, baths and basements? TIA

If I remember correctly, during my brief career in Real Estate, you
measure the outside dimensions and multiply by the number of floors
above grade. It's gets a bit tricky with backsplits etc., but the same
principle applies. Commercial space is the same btw.

Peter H
George E. Cawthon

Not here! And not in the places where I've looked for houses.
Finished basements are counted just like the 1st and 2nd floors.
Then there are split levels (trilevels) where you count the lowest
level which is essentially the same as many basements. And what do
you count on a daylight basement which is less basement like than the
lowest level of a trilevel? You count it as part of the total square
footage.

Jarkat2002 wrote:

air conditioned or heated floor space

excluding basment, even if used as living space.
~Kat

"help is on the way"
~John Kerry

JerryMouse

Peter H wrote:
Eric wrote:
I have seen allot of people mention how many square feet their house
is. I know how to measure sq. ft. But what parts of a house do you
measure & which do you not? I would imagine the bedrooms, living rm,
kitchen, & dens. But what about hallways, baths and basements? TIA

If I remember correctly, during my brief career in Real Estate, you
measure the outside dimensions and multiply by the number of floors
above grade. It's gets a bit tricky with backsplits etc., but the same
principle applies. Commercial space is the same btw.

And if the dwelling is completely below ground?

And if commercial space is below ground level?

Bah!

kyle york

Greetings,

Eric wrote:
I have seen allot of people mention how many square feet their house is. I
know how to measure sq. ft. But what parts of a house do you measure & which
do you not? I would imagine the bedrooms, living rm, kitchen, & dens. But
what about hallways, baths and basements? TIA

This is totally dependent on where you are. When we built our house the
local planning department used *all covered space* (i think higher than
5' or somesuch) when coming up with our limits -- including garage and
basement.

--
Kyle A. York
Sr. Subordinate Grunt
John Gilmer

"Bennett Price" wrote in message
For what it's worth, insurance companies in Califoria seem to go by the
exterior, not interior, dimensions (at least for a single level house).

Yep!

During the brief time I had a real estate sales license, we were taught the
same thing. Exterior measured area times number of floors but don't count
"unfinished space."

If you are comparing properties for your own use, count basements (finished
or not) separately.