Tom B.

Default Drain hot water heating system for the winter?

I go to Florida in the winter. My house in Minnesota has hot water
heat (natural gas) and a "boiler" with 3 zone valves that are less
than 10 years old heating 2400 sq. ft. It has mercury thermostats
that are also just a few years old. Last winter our gas bills were as
high as $200 a month even though the thermostats are all the way down
(55 degrees). This year they will be higher. I've read threads about
antifreeze in the hot water heating system (sounds like
there can be problems) and I realize I could close the house (drain
plumbing and hot water system) but I've heard horror stories about
walls cracking, etc. (it can get down to -40 here!). Someone told me
to tilt the thermostats to get below 55 but this seems difficult to
control.

Any ideas on how I could save some money this winter? I'm certainly
willing to spend some money to save some.

Thanks in advance.
MikeM

We don't get that cold here... but we regularly drain houses and
heating systems of homes that will be vacant for the winter.
Turn water off, flush everything, turn all faucets on, drain
everything, remove the water meter (if you can), blow water and
heating lines out with air, treat with non-toxic antifreeze a bit,
treat traps with anti-freeze along with the washing machine pump...
don't forget to remove the dishwasher solenoid, washing machine hoses,
drain spray hoses connected to faucets ...

You'll have to look around and think like water :-)

AS for all the other damage you mention - I have not seen it but like
I said it doesn't get that cold here.

Mike

On 9 Oct 2004 03:48:19 -0700, (Tom B.) wrote:

[...]

MLD

"Tom B." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Be careful who does the job for you. Friend in Maine had the same thing
done only it wasn't done properly. Got a call to come back from Florida in
the middle of the winter. Water everywhere, basically the whole inside of
the house (two floors) was gone--walls, furniture appliances, everything.
Result was that the whole inside was gutted and had to be reconstructed--at
least a 6 month job. Furniture replacement was so extensive that they
actually went to N.C. and purchased a whole houseload of stuff from one of
the furniture factories. The furniture company used their own trucks to
ship and had their own people along to set it all up.
Horror story but sh*t happens.
MLD

wayne

one simple trick for thermostats is a small light bulb under the thermostat
that will make it think it is warmer than it is. You will need to play with
it. You don't mention floors wood floors would not like going from 30
degrees back to 68 quickly when you came home. I would shut the valve off
to the hot water tank if you can cover the windows as much as you can. how
much ceiling insulation do you have?

I would not try to leave the house unheated you would need to make sure you
have no liquids in cans bottles etc.. that would freeze and burst.

Wayne

"Tom B." wrote in message
om...
[...]

toller

Dishwasher solenoid? What is that?
My dishwasher winterizing routine is to disconnect the inlet, get as much
water out of the sump as I can with a sponge and put some antifreeze in.
Am I missing the solenoid?

Chet Hayes

Dan wrote in message . ..
[...]

It's possible to put anit-freeze in the boiler water and run at a
lower temperature but there are risks. Condensation is likely to be a
problem inside the boiler causing corrosion. A small leak could
result in the treated water gradually being replaced by city water.
You can have problems draining the system too, it's difficult to get
all the water out, a low spot may result in breaks.

If the furnace is going to be left on, why would he need any
anti-freeze in the boiler at all? With too low a temp you run the
risk of things like cold water pipes in exterior walls freezing, but
how can the heating pipes themselves freeze. When it's real cold
outside, the furnace will be running more often and that's surely
enough to keep the heating system itself from freezing.
Dan

On 9 Oct 2004 15:12:58 -0700, (Chet Hayes)
wrote:

Dan wrote in message . ..
On 9 Oct 2004 03:48:19 -0700,
(Tom B.) wrote:

[...]

We're discussing a zoned system, at low temperatures it's likely that
one zone will provide enough heat that the other will come on seldom
if at all. Since heating pipes are often on outside walls, freezing
in one zone is likely. I've seen it before, but I guess you know
better! Since it's not my house, or repair cost, I'll defer to your
superior knowledge.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM