I & H

Default can I polyurethane over flat latex paint?

I'm painting some wood storage cubes for my sons' bedroom. I'd like to use
some of the extra wall paint so I don't have to buy more. We used Ben Moore
washable flat latex on the walls, but I'd like to have a bit more gloss on
the cubes. Can I put a few coats of clear polyurethane over the paint when
I'm done to give it the gloss, or do I have to go out and buy gloss paint in
the same color (something I'd like to avoid). If I can, should I use water
or oil-based polyurethane?
Thanks.
-Holly

pray4surf

"I & H" wrote in message
ink.net...
: I'm painting some wood storage cubes for my sons' bedroom. I'd like to use
: some of the extra wall paint so I don't have to buy more. We used Ben
Moore
: washable flat latex on the walls, but I'd like to have a bit more gloss on
: the cubes. Can I put a few coats of clear polyurethane over the paint when
: I'm done to give it the gloss, or do I have to go out and buy gloss paint
in
: the same color (something I'd like to avoid). If I can, should I use water
: or oil-based polyurethane?
: Thanks.
: -Holly
:

I've done so successfully on many occasions... I always use water-based
(latex) paints and 'Minwax water-based polycrylic'.

A couple caveats - The clear coat 'will' alter the original color slightly
(darken) and you'll pay more for the clearcoat than you would for the same
amount of paint in a gloss...

YMMV

Rick

pray4surf

:
: I've done so successfully on many occasions... I always use water-based
: (latex) paints and 'Minwax water-based polycrylic'.
:
: A couple caveats - The clear coat 'will' alter the original color slightly
: (darken) and you'll pay more for the clearcoat than you would for the same
: amount of paint in a gloss...
:
: YMMV
:
: Rick
:

And one more thing, don't use a roller to apply the clearcoat else you'll
end up with a 'pebbly' finish... unless you go over it with a brush DAMHIK.

Rick

I & H

I already have more than half a can of water-based poly from another
project, as well as oil-based left over from our recently installed hardwood
floors, so I'm set no matter what. I'm going with straight poly on some
additional cubes for other rooms, so I'll be doing them anyways. My goal is
to avoid buying anything for this particular project. We have so many
partial cans of paint, poly, primer, and everything else!
-Holly

Rudy wrote in message
Wouldnt it be simpler and cheaper (than buying poly) to just get a gallon

of
semi gloss?

I'm painting some wood storage cubes for my sons' bedroom. I'd like to

use
some of the extra wall paint so I don't have to buy more. We used Ben
Moore
washable flat latex on the walls, but I'd like to have a bit more gloss

on
the cubes.

CAStinneford

Holly wrote:

I already have more than half a can of water-based poly from another
project, as well as oil-based left over from our recently installed hardwood
floors, so I'm set no matter what. I'm going with straight poly on some
additional cubes for other rooms, so I'll be doing them anyways. My goal is
to avoid buying anything for this particular project. We have so many
partial cans of paint, poly, primer, and everything else!

Since you've used both the water based and oil based poly, I imagine you
already know that the water based will not yellow the way the oil based will.
So if you have any concerns about the color's changing on the cubes over time,
you are better off with the water based. Personally, I always use the water
based for a variety of reasons, including yellowing by oil based, drying time,
ease of cleanup, smell, etc.