orangetrader

Default How to tell the difference between RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

If there an harm if these cables are used together? In other words, if the
able from the outside to the outlet is RG-6 and from the outlet to the VCR
is RG-6 and from VCR to TV is RG-59U, will this cause problems? Is RG-6 the
best? I am not sure what the difference is, but I am getting bad images on
some channels, and wonder if I would be using different cables and if this
can cause problems?

Thanks in advance,

Tony Hwang

orangetrader wrote:
How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

If there an harm if these cables are used together? In other words, if the
able from the outside to the outlet is RG-6 and from the outlet to the VCR
is RG-6 and from VCR to TV is RG-59U, will this cause problems? Is RG-6 the
best? I am not sure what the difference is, but I am getting bad images on
some channels, and wonder if I would be using different cables and if this
can cause problems?

Thanks in advance,

Hi,
Not in that kind of application.
Tony
I-zheet M'drurz

orangetrader wrote:

How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

If there an harm if these cables are used together? In other
words, if the able from the outside to the outlet is RG-6 and
from the outlet to the VCR is RG-6 and from VCR to TV is RG-59U,
will this cause problems? Is RG-6 the best? I am not sure what
the difference is, but I am getting bad images on some channels,
and wonder if I would be using different cables and if this can
cause problems?

As Tony said, no, you should see no difference or ill-effects from
mixing.

Telling the difference: Mostly by thickness, although it is not
a huge difference. 59 is about a quarter inch, 6 is a "fat"
quarter inch. If you have crimp on connectors for both, and you
look down into them (as the cable would enter) you'll see the
difference, there's a bigger area between the outer and inner
edges, more room for the extra shielding material. I don't have
much experience with screw-on connectors, so I don't even know
if they're a "one-size-fits-all" or ???.

Oh yeah, besides thickness, sometimes you get lucky and it is
marked on the outer jacket g.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Paul Franklin

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 22:49:15 -0400, "orangetrader"
wrote:

How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

If there an harm if these cables are used together? In other words, if the
able from the outside to the outlet is RG-6 and from the outlet to the VCR
is RG-6 and from VCR to TV is RG-59U, will this cause problems? Is RG-6 the
best? I am not sure what the difference is, but I am getting bad images on
some channels, and wonder if I would be using different cables and if this
can cause problems?

Thanks in advance,

As others have said, a short length of RG-59 should not really cause
problems. RG-6 is preferred for RF applications, and is certainly
better for digital cable and satellite applications. It has lower
losses at high frequencies, and often has better shielding.

If you have poor reception on the same channels on all your sets (if
you have more than one) it may be a problem with the company's feed.
Try connecting your tv directly to the cable after is enters the house
(after the lightning arrester) with a short length of RG-6. If you
have poor reception there, call your provider.

It is common on analog cable systems for signal strenght to vary a
little from channel to channel, so if you have cable problems, or too
many splitters, or old, low frequency splitters, it often shows up
just on some channels. Testing right at service entry eliminates all
those potential causes.

I have also had problems with the cheap, short little patch cables
with push-on connectors.

HTH,

Paul

Bill

Some "store bought" short cables are terrible so far as shielding is
concerned. They may not be marked. I cut some of these open and the
shielding was just a few wires with 2mm gaps (plenty of room for outside
frequencies/TV stations to invade the cable). A good quality cable (RG-6)
will have a 100% metal wrap and a fine wire mesh (inside). It will say
RG-6.

Get *all* your cables from your cable TV provider - every inch. You may be
able to stop by their office and get a few cables for free.

Or you can get a hex crimping tool, RG-6 cable, and RG-6 crimp connectors,
then make your own cables.

More...
http://www.smarthome.com/8527.html

"orangetrader" wrote in message
How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

If there an harm if these cables are used together? In other words, if

the
able from the outside to the outlet is RG-6 and from the outlet to the

VCR
is RG-6 and from VCR to TV is RG-59U, will this cause problems? Is RG-6

the
best? I am not sure what the difference is, but I am getting bad images

on
some channels, and wonder if I would be using different cables and if

this
can cause problems?

Thanks in advance,

The most common problem with home-made TV Cable connections is poor contact
or no contact of the braided shielding to the body of the screw-on or
crimp-on connector. With bad contact, the picture looks like garbage or
worse. RG-59 connectors and RG-6 connectors are very similar, but have
different diameter and you really have to have the right ones.
-B

"orangetrader" wrote in message
How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

If there an harm if these cables are used together? In other words, if

the
able from the outside to the outlet is RG-6 and from the outlet to the VCR
is RG-6 and from VCR to TV is RG-59U, will this cause problems? Is RG-6

the
best? I am not sure what the difference is, but I am getting bad images

on
some channels, and wonder if I would be using different cables and if this
can cause problems?

Thanks in advance,

orangetrader

May be I should make my own cables then.

I am getting bad reception on some channels, but each TV varies. One
channel that is bad on TV set 1 is good on set 2. Also, with the number of
devices at each TV set (I got the cable from the wall going to VCR, from VCR
to TV), So I need to do some investigation. I do have a lot of those
"push-in" cables may be I need to replace them and see.

The problem is I am usually pretty handy but I have a hard time making those
connectors. I tried every screwed on types and none of them work (or should
I say I tried and practiced and was not happy with any I made). I have a
heavy duty criming tool from Radio Shack, I just don't like the connection I
make, looks like ****. Some of those I made got "beard"hanging out!

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I-zheet M'drurz

orangetrader wrote:

May be I should make my own cables then.

I am getting bad reception on some channels, but each TV varies.
One channel that is bad on TV set 1 is good on set 2.

If it's not a major pain in the butt, do some swapping. Try
swapping the cable(s) from one location with the other, see if
the problems stay with the location or move with the cables.
If it's REALLY not a pain in the butt, try swapping TV's, or
at least the most portable of the two. This could be in the
"fixed" wiring by the cable co, or just in the TVs themselves.

Also,
with the number of devices at each TV set (I got the cable from
the wall going to VCR, from VCR to TV), So I need to do some
investigation. I do have a lot of those "push-in" cables may be
I need to replace them and see.

The problem is I am usually pretty handy but I have a hard time
making those connectors. I tried every screwed on types and
none of them work (or should I say I tried and practiced and was
not happy with any I made). I have a heavy duty criming tool
from Radio Shack, I just don't like the connection I make, looks
like ****. Some of those I made got "beard"hanging out!

While the beard might look like hell, it is not a problem in an
electrical sense. Biggest thing you want to watch out for is
that no "wild hairs" from the outer shield make their way past
the dialectric and touch the center conductor, and make sure
you're not damaging the center stinger when you strip it. Don't
leave more than 1/4 of an inch sticking out past the edge of the
connctor, actually about 1/8 is all you need. Sometimes it will
be what you are connecting to that is the problem, maybe invest
in a can of contact cleaner and spray those female f connectors
on the VCRs, TV's, wall cable outlets. Just thinking out loud
here, trying to give you oter possible solutions.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.
Himanshu

orangetrader wrote:
How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

If there an harm if these cables are used together?

As someone else mentioned, RG-59 is to be used for very short runs. I
wouldn't even bother with RG-59, just use RG-6 everywhere.

You might want to consider signal loss as described he

http://www.swhowto.com/VideoLoss.htm

--
Himanshu
I-zheet M'drurz

Himanshu wrote:
orangetrader wrote:

How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?
If there an harm if these cables are used together?

As someone else mentioned, RG-59 is to be used for very short
runs. I wouldn't even bother with RG-59, just use RG-6
everywhere.

Stop being a Neat Seeker jerk. RG-6 is overkill in many
situations, nothing but a waste of money. Get off your high
horse and realize people do not necessarily want to throw
their money away for nothing.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.

I-zheet M'drurz

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

Stop being a Neat Seeker jerk.

Oops, typo. Should be "Heat Seeker." As in: equipment/technical
snob who must always own/use/recommend the biggest/fastest/newest
hottest/most expensive thing out there. Heat Seekers like to kill
mice with .357 Magnums.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.
G. Morgan

Someone named "I-zheet M'drurz" Proclaimed on
4 Oct 2004 04:34:47 GMT,

Oops, typo. Should be "Heat Seeker." As in: equipment/technical
snob who must always own/use/recommend the biggest/fastest/newest
hottest/most expensive thing out there. Heat Seekers like to kill
mice with .357 Magnums.

Actually the cost difference between Rg-6 and Rg-59 is negligible.

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Charlie Bress

"orangetrader" wrote in message
May be I should make my own cables then.

I am getting bad reception on some channels, but each TV varies. One
channel that is bad on TV set 1 is good on set 2. Also, with the number

of
devices at each TV set (I got the cable from the wall going to VCR, from

VCR
to TV), So I need to do some investigation. I do have a lot of those
"push-in" cables may be I need to replace them and see.

The cables, by themselves, will not produce the symptoms you describe. If
different TVs have problems with different channels, it is not just the
cables. A lot depends on how you have everything configured. Are you on
CATV or antenna? Do you have cable outlets that are not connected to
anything? Don't have any outlets or cable ends that do not have either a TV,
VCR or similar on it without having a terminator on it.

Charlie

I-zheet M'drurz

G. Morgan wrote:
Someone named "I-zheet M'drurz"
Proclaimed on 4 Oct 2004 04:34:47 GMT,

Oops, typo. Should be "Heat Seeker." As in: equipment/technical
snob who must always own/use/recommend the biggest/fastest/newest
hottest/most expensive thing out there. Heat Seekers like to
kill mice with .357 Magnums.

Actually the cost difference between Rg-6 and Rg-59 is negligible.

Bull****. If there is 1 cent difference, there is still a
difference, and the connectors cost more as well. Stop blowing
smoke up people's asses. If there was no difference there would
be no RG-59 cable on the market.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.
Noble Pepper

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 21:49:15 -0500, orangetrader wrote:

How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

If there an harm if these cables are used together? In other words, if
the able from the outside to the outlet is RG-6 and from the outlet to
the VCR is RG-6 and from VCR to TV is RG-59U, will this cause problems?
Is RG-6 the best? I am not sure what the difference is, but I am
getting bad images on some channels, and wonder if I would be using
different cables and if this can cause problems?

Thanks in advance,

The one thing no one seems to have mentioned is the U suffix. This
usually indicates underground. It may have a thicker jacket but should
also have a flooding compound under the jacket. The flooding compound is
a greasy goo similar to vaseline. It does wonders to stop corrosion
damage if the jacket is nicked during the burial. It also is a supreme
pain to clean off the shielding and can cause bad connections if you
don't clean it off.

Use the U if you are burying the cable but avoid it for indoor
applications.

Jeff Cochran

On 4 Oct 2004 23:28:31 GMT, "I-zheet M'drurz"
wrote:

G. Morgan wrote:
Someone named "I-zheet M'drurz"
Proclaimed on 4 Oct 2004 04:34:47 GMT,

Oops, typo. Should be "Heat Seeker." As in: equipment/technical
snob who must always own/use/recommend the biggest/fastest/newest
hottest/most expensive thing out there. Heat Seekers like to
kill mice with .357 Magnums.

Actually the cost difference between Rg-6 and Rg-59 is negligible.

Bull****. If there is 1 cent difference, there is still a
difference, and the connectors cost more as well. Stop blowing
smoke up people's asses. If there was no difference there would
be no RG-59 cable on the market.

Just picked up a 500' roll of RG6 and connectors. Connectors were
nine cents more than RG59 for the same quality/quantity (25) and the
cable was $3.48 more for the 500' roll. Counts as negligible in my
book. Gas to pick it up cost almost as much as the difference.

Jeff
Roger Grady

Noble Pepper wrote:
The one thing no one seems to have mentioned is the U suffix. This
usually indicates underground. It may have a thicker jacket but should
also have a flooding compound under the jacket. The flooding compound is
a greasy goo similar to vaseline. It does wonders to stop corrosion
damage if the jacket is nicked during the burial. It also is a supreme
pain to clean off the shielding and can cause bad connections if you
don't clean it off.

What you describe is sometimes called "flooded braid" cable, but it's
pretty uncommon. The /U suffix doesn't mean underground - one source
I found says it means "universal". Most coax will have a /U on it if
it's marked at all, but almost none of it is flooded braid. An RG
designation is supposed to mean it meets government standards, but
there's lots of RG- cable out there that's far from gov. standards. A
major brand is more likely to be good cable but even Belden makes some
cheap grades.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address