Tony Hwang

Default My chain saw leaks chain oil?

Hi,
Chain saw experts out there.
I have a Poulan Pro chain saw I use for light chores
around my cottage. I store it in it's carrying case.
Since new I notice puddle of chain saw oil on the bottom of case.
Is this normal? Or what could be wrong?
The saw operates fine.
TIA,
Tony
Robert Allison

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Chain saw experts out there.
I have a Poulan Pro chain saw I use for light chores
around my cottage. I store it in it's carrying case.
Since new I notice puddle of chain saw oil on the bottom of case.
Is this normal? Or what could be wrong?
The saw operates fine.
TIA,
Tony

It is entirely normal. There is always (or should always be) a bit
of oil in the channels to lube the chain. When you set it down,
this will drain out. The oil for the chain does not have a seal, so
it just flows through the channels at will. Try setting it in
different positions to minimize the drainage. I just don't worry
about it.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
George E. Cawthon

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Chain saw experts out there.
I have a Poulan Pro chain saw I use for light chores
around my cottage. I store it in it's carrying case.
Since new I notice puddle of chain saw oil on the bottom of case.
Is this normal? Or what could be wrong?
The saw operates fine.
TIA,
Tony

I think its normal for Poulan Pro. Clean out the oil and put a couple
of paper towels in the bottom and you won't notice it much. My Poulan
Pro uses a lot of oil, what I consider to be an excessive amount of
oil, and there is no oil adjustment. As a consequence when shut down
after heavy use, oil drips from the blade (doesn't leak). If I set it
aside for awhile or blow it clean with a compressor, oil doesn't
accumulate in the case. I guess the manufacture thinks a little
excess of oil is far better than a little too much, and they are
probably right, but an adjustment would be nice.
m Ransley

It is normal, chain lubeing

ROBMURR

Poulans and Husky cheaper chainsaws
leak like crazy. I have a Husky 136 that
I keep in a shallow litter box pan with
absorbent pads under it to catch the oil.
It leaks right at the lube point and there
is no fix for it. I try to keep it empty when
not in use and add only as much as I
need for a cutting job. If my saw did not
run so good I would get rid of it due to
its leaks. But I use Stihl chains and a
Dremel sharpener and it cuts and runs
so well. I drain all gas out between uses.

Stormin Mormon

My Homelite leaks like that, too. I put some news paper in the plastic carry
case, and throw the news paper out once in awhile and put dry papers down
for it.

At least the saw is paper trained?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Chain saw experts out there.
I have a Poulan Pro chain saw I use for light chores
around my cottage. I store it in it's carrying case.
Since new I notice puddle of chain saw oil on the bottom of case.
Is this normal? Or what could be wrong?
The saw operates fine.
TIA,
Tony

Tony Hwang

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Chain saw experts out there.
I have a Poulan Pro chain saw I use for light chores
around my cottage. I store it in it's carrying case.
Since new I notice puddle of chain saw oil on the bottom of case.
Is this normal? Or what could be wrong?
The saw operates fine.
TIA,
Tony

Hi, all
Thanks for the responses.
Now I have peace of mind. Next time, will buy better
saw.
Tony
S R

I wish I could say the same about my pickup truck.

Stephen R.

my poulan pro does the same. it's not a good sign if it does not drip

after use.

Bo Williams

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi, all
Thanks for the responses.
Now I have peace of mind. Next time, will buy better
saw.

....which might or might not have the problem. I have a small Echo,
which is a well-regarded nameplate, and it also drools a bit. It's no
big deal; just don't carry it in the front seat of your car, and you'll
be fine.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/