Junior Member

Default Thick stone wall (no, not my wife)

Just bought this cottage and i wan't to make a big hole in the side of it, to put some french doors in. I'm not sure how to approach this job as the wall's are at least 3' thick. I think they're dry and the stones are made of hard and soft material. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanx
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHNY
Just bought this cottage and i wan't to make a big hole in the side of it, to put some french doors in. I'm not sure how to approach this job as the wall's are at least 3' thick. I think they're dry and the stones are made of hard and soft material. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanx
Please help ?
G. Morgan

Someone named JoHNY Proclaimed on
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:14:49 +0100,

Please help ?

Rent one of these??

http://www.jimslimstools.com/detail.aspx?ID=1735

It says it can do 24" plunge cuts, so you'd have to cut from both
sides to cut 3'. When you do it - videotape it! This I gotta see....

DanG

I think we would all need more information.

The major issue here is ending up with a header to carry the load
over head once you remove the material in the proposed opening.

How are existing openings carrying their loads?

I would expect that after you consult with a structural engineer,
you will need to over demolition the hole, probably with a jack
hammer, and re-lay perimeter stone around the opening. How are
the windows and doors of the existing structure done?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

--
JoHNY

DanG wrote:

I think we would all need more information.

The major issue here is ending up with a header to carry the load
over head once you remove the material in the proposed opening.

No we don't. The OP doesn't know what the walls are made
of, what's inside them, or even how to measure them, and is therefore
manifestly not competent to be tackling this job by himself.

--Goedjn

Junior Member

]DanG wrote:
[color=blue][i]
I think we would all need more information.

No we don't. The OP doesn't know what the walls are made
of, what's inside them, or even how to measure them, and is therefore
manifestly not competent to be tackling this job by himself.

Thanx for your help.

I'm not pretending to know what i am doing, otherwise i wouldn't have posted. I was just asking for a little advise.

No we don't. The OP doesn't know what the walls are made
of, what's inside them, or even how to measure them, and is therefore
manifestly not competent to be tackling this job by himself.

Thanx for your help.

I'm not pretending to know what i am doing, otherwise i wouldn't have
posted. I was just asking for a little advise.

Right, and the advice I'm giving you is that this job has structural
implications that you're not up to coping with, and you should
find a professional to deal with it. There will be enough things for
you to fix without messing with collapsing headers.

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 02:12 PM