meirman

Default Gluing wood that stays outside

What would be a good easy-to-find glue for outside wood?

Borden's white glue says to not to submerge item, but doesn't say it
can't get wet. Or would Borden's hide glue be better?

Planned use: I can't get matching pickets for my fence anymore, so to
avoid using too many new ones from what I have, sometimes I glue an
old one back together. And this weekend, I'm screwing a patch into my
neighbor's fence 2x4, that rests on the edge of sheet of t-11 and a
couple posts, but I'd like to glue the end of the new patch to the old
2x4, if I can.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Bob K 207

What would be a good easy-to-find glue for outside wood?

Titebond II
m Ransley

Bordens exterior glue

Edwin Pawlowski

"meirman" wrote in message
What would be a good easy-to-find glue for outside wood?

Borden's white glue says to not to submerge item, but doesn't say it
can't get wet. Or would Borden's hide glue be better?

Titebond II, Titebond III, Epoxy, Gorilla Glue

NoOne N Particular

"meirman" wrote in message
What would be a good easy-to-find glue for outside wood?

Borden's white glue says to not to submerge item, but doesn't say it
can't get wet. Or would Borden's hide glue be better?

Planned use: I can't get matching pickets for my fence anymore, so to
avoid using too many new ones from what I have, sometimes I glue an
old one back together. And this weekend, I'm screwing a patch into my
neighbor's fence 2x4, that rests on the edge of sheet of t-11 and a
couple posts, but I'd like to glue the end of the new patch to the old
2x4, if I can.

Meirman

Any of the popular woodworking glues should be fine. I use Titebond II or
III simply because . . .well . . . because. I have used it to glue up
splits in some of my redwood fencing and it has held for years.

Hide glue is water soluble so would not be a good choice.

Wayne

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Edwin Pawlowski

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message

Any of the popular woodworking glues should be fine.

Not quite. Some have no water resistance at all and will fail. Titebond II
or III. (as you use) does.

George E. Cawthon

meirman wrote:

What would be a good easy-to-find glue for outside wood?

Borden's white glue says to not to submerge item, but doesn't say it
can't get wet. Or would Borden's hide glue be better?

Planned use: I can't get matching pickets for my fence anymore, so to
avoid using too many new ones from what I have, sometimes I glue an
old one back together. And this weekend, I'm screwing a patch into my
neighbor's fence 2x4, that rests on the edge of sheet of t-11 and a
couple posts, but I'd like to glue the end of the new patch to the old
2x4, if I can.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Elmer's waterproof glue (a Borden product). This is a resorcinol glue
that comes in two parts--dry powder and liquid and is purple when
mixed so it will leave a dark glue line. Works! As an example the
ear on a ceramic rabbit fell off about 3 years ago. I glued it
together and it is still holding together after two winters and two
summers of sprinkler water twice a week. Just be sure that you follow
the directions and use the correct proportions.
tcg

| meirman wrote:
|
| What would be a good easy-to-find glue for outside wood?
|
| Borden's white glue says to not to submerge item, but doesn't say it
| can't get wet. Or would Borden's hide glue be better?
|
| Planned use: I can't get matching pickets for my fence anymore, so to
| avoid using too many new ones from what I have, sometimes I glue an
| old one back together. And this weekend, I'm screwing a patch into my
| neighbor's fence 2x4, that rests on the edge of sheet of t-11 and a
| couple posts, but I'd like to glue the end of the new patch to the old
| 2x4, if I can.
|
| Meirman
|
| If emailing, please let me know whether
| or not you are posting the same letter.
|
| Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

I had good luck with Gorilla Glue.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 01 Oct 2004 02:15:46 -0400 meirman
posted:

What would be a good easy-to-find glue for outside wood?

Borden's white glue says to not to submerge item, but doesn't say it
can't get wet. Or would Borden's hide glue be better?

Planned use: I can't get matching pickets for my fence anymore, so to
avoid using too many new ones from what I have, sometimes I glue an
old one back together. And this weekend, I'm screwing a patch into my
neighbor's fence 2x4, that rests on the edge of sheet of t-11 and a
couple posts, but I'd like to glue the end of the new patch to the old
2x4, if I can.

Meirman

Thanks a lot to everyone. I'm off to the hardware store right now.

Thanks especially, No one, for telling me about the hide glue. I know
I have a bottle, although I can't find it right now. I bought it
because it seemed important, for some reason.

I meant to say Elmer's glue. I could only remember the name Borden,
who makes it. Dairy, cows, cowhide, it's all related. I think Elmer
is Elsie the cow's husband.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

willshak

meirman wrote:

[...]

Does it come in bottles now? I remember using hide glue back in the
1950's in wood shop. It came in chunks and had to be melted and kept
heated in an iron pot to use. I can still smell it.

I meant to say Elmer's glue. I could only remember the name Borden,
who makes it. Dairy, cows, cowhide, it's all related. I think Elmer
is Elsie the cow's husband.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Baron

Does it come in bottles now? I remember using hide glue back in the
1950's in wood shop. It came in chunks and had to be melted and kept
heated in an iron pot to use. I can still smell it.

I meant to say Elmer's glue. I could only remember the name Borden,
who makes it. Dairy, cows, cowhide, it's all related. I think Elmer
is Elsie the cow's husband.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Franklin has been putting it in plastic squeeze bottles for some years
now. It contains urea to keep it from curing in the bottle at ambient
temperature. Outside the bottle, it cures over several hours but at least
you don't have to heat it up in a glue pot.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:11:03 -0400 willshak
posted:

meirman wrote:

[...]

I can believe it.

It came in the same plastic bottles that the white glue does.

They had Tite-Bond II, but not III. I figured I'd buy III when I can
find it, so this time I just bought Elmers ProBond Professional
Strength for Exterior Use. They also had the exterior glue in 4 oz
bottles for about a third of this 12 oz bottle. But this sounded
better.

I rebuilt my privacy fence (around a tiny patio in front of the
kitchen sliding glass door) about 3 years ago. I share the center wall
of it with my next door neighbor (It's shaped like an E.) Her
ex-husband and his friends rebuilt her fence 5 years ago, but even
though he does all kinds of DIY jobs, he didn't use treated wood, and
the pieces of new wood he added are already rotting.

Plus he left the center post we have in common. It's 25 years old and
rotting, but I'm going to squeeze a couple more years out of it. It
will be cold soon, and I have other things to do.

BTW, from their web site:
Elsie the Cow became Borden's very popular "Spokescow" in the late
1930's. She was a big hit at the 1939 New York World's Fair, and soon
afterwards the character of Elmer the Bull was created as Elsie's
husband. In the late 1940's, Borden's new Chemical Division asked to
use Elsie for its new white glue product. The thought of Elsie
representing a non-food product didn't seem appropriate, so as a
compromise, Elmer was loaned to Chemical as their very own
"spokesbull". To this day, Elmer the Bull still represents the most
recognized adhesive company.

I meant to say Elmer's glue. I could only remember the name Borden,
who makes it. Dairy, cows, cowhide, it's all related. I think Elmer

The website says twice that their glues are totally synthetic, no cows
or horses, but they don't say what the glue used to be made out of. I
think they are embarrassed.

is Elsie the cow's husband.

Meirman

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

willshak

meirman wrote:

[...]

I think it was hooves, or at least, that is what I was told.

is Elsie the cow's husband.

Meirman

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

jhill

Yes hide glue is still available and used by the better restorer's. In
particular the gluing the bellows back on when you rebuild a player piano is
what I use it for. It enables it to be taken back apart again for another
rebuild and was what was usewd originally. If you use white glue you have
to saw them off!
Hide glue now available in flakes and is refined so it is normally not
smelly, unless you let it set to long too wet and mold forms.
Yes I used it in shop class too and know what you mean. That stuff
available then was not refined and decomposed.

news:7c251$415f28f9$cf67300c$6076@allthenewsgroups .com...