Wayne Whitney

Default Electrical questions on using conduit

Hello,

I'd like to add some receptacles in my unfinished basement for using
the space as a workshop, and my understanding is that I need to use
conduit. I'm comfortable wiring circuits using NMB cable, but this
will be my first time using conduit, so I have several questions.

1) My default idea is to use EMT, but there seems to be a confusing
number of different types of raceways. Can anyone point me to a
good overview of them?

2) My understanding is that is acceptable to use EMT as the equipment
ground, but is it still a good idea to run a separate EGC? If I do
so, I assume that I should bond every box to the EGC. Does it
matter if the EGC is bare or green?

3) The wall is concrete for the first 4' and then a wood stud cripple
wall covered in 1/2" sheer paneling. I don't have any experience
fastening to concrete, what is the best way to go? It would be
easier to attach to the sheer paneling, but I expect 4.5' is too
high to be convenient for receptacles.

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals? One
appealing option is to use two duplex receptacles in each box, each
fed from a different leg. I believe this requires a double pole
breaker?

Thanks, Wayne
Wayne Whitney

In article , Wayne Whitney wrote:

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals?

I believe I've figured this one out--since the circuit will require
GFCI protection, using a shared neutral would require an expensive
240V/120V GFCI breaker. So to use 120V GFCIs, I'll have to use
separate neutrals.

Cheers, Wayne

zxcvbob

Wayne Whitney wrote:

In article , Wayne Whitney wrote:

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals?

I believe I've figured this one out--since the circuit will require
GFCI protection, using a shared neutral would require an expensive
240V/120V GFCI breaker. So to use 120V GFCIs, I'll have to use
separate neutrals.

Cheers, Wayne

You would not necessarily *have to* use separate neutrals. You could
use separate GFCI's.

Bob
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Reply below ----- I only run EMT on HVAC systems and a electricians here maybe
able to answer better.

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

I'd like to add some receptacles in my unfinished basement for using
the space as a workshop, and my understanding is that I need to use
conduit. I'm comfortable wiring circuits using NMB cable, but this
will be my first time using conduit, so I have several questions.

1) My default idea is to use EMT, but there seems to be a confusing
number of different types of raceways. Can anyone point me to a
good overview of them?

I think you confussing me here now. I only know of 2 types of races ways. 1)
Indy 500 Race Way 2) Electrical Race way. A Race Way is a shelf made for wires
or conduit, covered electric route for wires , or a bunch of wires in conduit
run together to be neat and look good. I really only know one type of race way
as far as you looking up the conduit verses the wires to put in it or the rating
of the wire. Now you can have the wires out of coduit or in conduit in a race
way but you just rate the wire in free air or in conduit and the race ways it
just the holder for the conduit or the wire.

Just rate and figure everything in EMT and forget the race way thought.

2) My understanding is that is acceptable to use EMT as the equipment
ground, but is it still a good idea to run a separate EGC? If I do
so, I assume that I should bond every box to the EGC. Does it
matter if the EGC is bare or green?

In a residentiual job like your. The Ground can be green or the Nake ground can
be used.
I don't know of any requirement to tie the ground to the EMT but let the EMT be
it's own grounds. I don't know about using the EMT as the ground but in
commercial it is a NO NO. I don't think I would do that.

3) The wall is concrete for the first 4' and then a wood stud cripple
wall covered in 1/2" sheer paneling. I don't have any experience
fastening to concrete, what is the best way to go? It would be
easier to attach to the sheer paneling, but I expect 4.5' is too
high to be convenient for receptacles.

Get you a box of Wall Ackor set and drill hole in concrete with the bit supplied
with it and put in a wall ankor and the clamp it with a screw [ supplied with
the kit ] to put a EMT wall clamp to hold the EMT. This is not a big deal at all
and a wall ankor kits cost about $6.00 for a 100 Ankors, 100 screws, and one
drill bit for concrete. You can put the EMT where ever you want with the kit and
conduit.

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals? One
appealing option is to use two duplex receptacles in each box, each
fed from a different leg. I believe this requires a double pole
breaker?

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Everything [ receptical wise ] that is tied to 1 -- single 120 volt service
breaker can share the Hot , Neutral, and ground.

You don't need a double pole breaker for anything here.

Thanks, Wayne

Now you have left out here the most important thing of all. What are you wanting
to run or plug into these receptical and what will be the amp draw of them? Do
you want 2 circuits with 2 breakers or all on one circuit ? You head of the game
here by doing the wiring and have no ideal of what it will need as wire or
conduit needed. Alway tell or know what you want to supply with power before
running power to it and then finmd out you don't have the circuit big enough to
supply the load. Let us know what you want to power up before wiring begins.

TURTLE

_firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us

Wayne Whitney wrote:
In article , Wayne Whitney wrote:
4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals?

I believe I've figured this one out--since the circuit will require
GFCI protection, using a shared neutral would require an expensive
240V/120V GFCI breaker. So to use 120V GFCIs, I'll have to use
separate neutrals.

True. Here's why: Because you are in a basement, you'll need GFCIs.
This means either a GFCI breaker (big $$$), or an outlet GFCI. But
you want two circuits. This either means you get a 2-pole GFCI
breaker (about $100), and then you can run a single neutral, or you
use two outlet GFCIs. But if you use two outlet GFCIs, you can not
merge the neutrals back together again.

In our case, we were forced to wire with a single neutral, because I
wanted to use plugstrips (made by Wiremold), and those have a single
neutral and two hots. So we were forced to use the $100 2-pole GFCI
breaker. Compared to the other costs of finishing the whole basement,
and building the woodshop, the cost of the breaker is insignificant.

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

You would not necessarily *have to* use separate neutrals. You could
use separate GFCI's.

Yes, but you can only use the separate neutral until you get to the
first GFCI in the daisy-chain. After the GFCI (that is, on the load
side of the GFCI), you can't merge the neutrals back together. If you
try, the GFCIs will trip all the time. So the suggestion of a single
neutral with cheap outlet-style GFCIs only works if you never use the
load side of the GFCIs. And if you want to have lots of outlets, the
GFCIs will add up.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).

Wayne Whitney wrote:

I'd like to add some receptacles in my unfinished basement for using
the space as a workshop, and my understanding is that I need to use
conduit. I'm comfortable wiring circuits using NMB cable, but this
will be my first time using conduit, so I have several questions.

1) My default idea is to use EMT, but there seems to be a confusing
number of different types of raceways. Can anyone point me to a
good overview of them?

The best overview of what you CAN LEGALLY do is the NEC itself. It is
not exactly written for easy reading. Combine that with a good
electrical supplies catalog (for example the Grainger catalog), to
show you what is available and the costs of things, and you'll figure
it out.

Note: I didn't suggest buying everything at Grainger ... just to use
their catalog as a reference guide. Nothing wrong with Grainger, but
the local Borg is cheaper.

In practice, there is only one option: EMT. The stronger conduits
(IMC and rigid) are much harder to use, may require threading of the
ends, and don't give you any real advantage (unless you intend to
drive vehicles into the walls). The grey plastic conduits, which are
glued, are quite brittle and will not survive long in something like a
shop. And they are actually more expensive and more work to install
than EMT; their advantage is that they are waterproof, but who cares.
Blue smurf-tube (officially known as ENT, or Electric Nonmetallic
Tubing) is so wimpy, you wouldn't catch me dead running AC power
through it; plus I don't think its up to code for exposed work anyhow.
It is suitable for low-voltage (computer and phone wiring) in
non-exposed locations, and that's about it.

OK, I lied. There is a second option, but it is a little weird:
Wiremold and some competitors make squarish raceways, that is usually
clipped together out of a base (that you screw onto the wall) and a
cover. You have to then use the matching outlet boxes. Advantages: A
more finished look. And you can get the surface raceway prewired and
pre-assembled with electrical outlets. Disadvantages: The smaller
models have very little room for wire; the bigger ones look very
bulky. EMT has a more industrial look; the surface-mount raceway
always has the look of "retrofit in cheap construction" to it. EMT is
probably strong (will sustain less cosmetic damage occasionally being
hit when you swing a sheet of plywood around in the room). You can
get a huge variety of EMT fittings and boxes for it at any hardware
store, while only electrical distributors and mail-order have a good
selection of fittings for surface-mount raceways. And the wiremold
stuff is quite pricy (all these little $2 and $4 items add up
quickly).

2) My understanding is that is acceptable to use EMT as the equipment
ground, but is it still a good idea to run a separate EGC? If I do
so, I assume that I should bond every box to the EGC. Does it
matter if the EGC is bare or green?

Would you trust your life to sheetmetal? Even worse, would you trust
your life to using iron (that rusts!) as a conductor?

Here's my policy: I always run a separate ground conductor for outlet
circuits; not necessarily for lighting circuits (where there is very
little chance of touching energized circuits). This is overkill from
a NEC and code point of view, but I like it.

You need to eventually bond every box and every bit of metal conduit
to the ground conductor. But they don't all need to be bonded
directly to the copper grounding conductor. I like to always bond the
boxes that are reachable, with a dedicated ground pigtail (not by
using the metal-to-metal contact from the outlet strap). Also, if a
grounding conductor runs through a box, it is easy to loop it around
the grounding screw once, so many boxes get grounded for free. But
for boxes that are not normally reachable (like the one at the top of
the conduit, out of reach), and the conduit itself, I'm happy to rely
on the metal-to-metal contact of box to conduit for grounding (as long
as a significant fraction of the boxes are bonded). None of this
dedicated grounding is required by code (AFAIK), but it makes me feel
better.

If you are pulling dedicated wire (typically THHN), it is actually
easier to pull green insulated wire - it seems to slide better. I
only use bare copper conductors if the wire in the conduit is the long
stripped end of a Romex (NM-B) cable. Also, I always worry about
having uninsulated wires in outlet boxes. What if they get bent
wrong, and touch the exposed hot or neutral screw at the side of an
outlet? This could cause hard-to-debug intermittent shorts or ground
faults. I'm nervous enough as it is when using NM-B, so I try to
avoid it when using conduit.

3) The wall is concrete for the first 4' and then a wood stud cripple
wall covered in 1/2" sheer paneling. I don't have any experience
fastening to concrete, what is the best way to go? It would be
easier to attach to the sheer paneling, but I expect 4.5' is too
high to be convenient for receptacles.

Actually, I've been told that in a shop area, it is convenient to have
outlets relatively high (above the benches and worktables). So I have
planned a continuous ring of Wiremold plugstrips along the wall at 4'
height. The 220V outlets (for bigger machinery) and a few extra 110V
outlets are at the usual 16" height. Other people, other styles, and
other usage patterns might have different opinions.

Here is another question: If you can hide all your wiring in the stud
wall (above 4' height), then you probably don't need conduit at all.
As far as I know, the only reason conduit is typically required in a
basement is that you can't run NM-B in exposed locations, and
basements are typically concrete or block walls, which forces you into
exposed wiring. This might save you lots of work.

Lastly, how to attach things to concrete: This is really easy: Make
holes in the concrete, and use plastic anchor. The problem is that in
practice this is hard and expensive. First, it is a tad hard to get
really good plastic anchors in the US. The typical red conical ones
are quite wimpy and unreliable. I like using the "Fischer" brand grey
plastic anchors from Germany, which are considerable stronger and more
reliable, but those you'll have to get mailed to you by friends in
Germany (or oder them from Amazon.de, and pay horrendous shipping
charges). And then you'll have to get the matching metric drill bits.
Second problem is how to make all the little holes (typically 1/4" or
5/16" holes for plastic anchors. The easy but comfortable solution is
to buy a pneumatic drill hammer; they are made by Bosch, Milwaukee,
Hitachi and so on, and start at about $200. They always have SDS or
spline attachments for the drill bits. The nasty but cheap option is
to buy a hammer drill, which uses a normal chuck. Drilling holes with
a hammer drill is very annoying (it rattles your arm, and makes
terrible noises). Using masonry bits in a non-hammer drill is a
non-starter; with lots of patience you can make a hole or two, but it
is pointless for mass production.

Good luck! We're in the middle of our basement finishing project.
Fortunately, because we are adding a lot of stud walls, nearly all the
wiring is NM-B inside the walls.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).
Ralph Becker-Szendy
_firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us

In article ,
Wayne Whitney wrote:
OK. But if you have a separate GFCI receptacle for every receptacle,
i.e. you never you the LOAD screws on the GFCI receptacles, then you
could get away with a shared neutral? Of course, all those GFCI
receptacles quickly add up to the cost of a GFCI breaker.

Let's see. One extra roll of 12-gauge THHN at Home Despot: $5.

For 8 of the 10 outlets you install, use a $7 GFCI instead of a $1
outlet (you need the first two GFCIs anyhow).

You do the math (you are in the math department after all, I'm just a
physicist who is already burned out and trying to prevent getting
himself electrically fried in addition).

By the way, given your location, I recommend that you do your parts
shopping at the Lowe's in Union City, or at Orchard Supply. They seem
to be much better organized than the Home Depot's around the Bay Area.
Matter-of-fact, today I gave up on a trip to the Capitol Expressway
Home Depot, because half the stuff I needed couldn't be found, and the
checkout line for the only register that was open wrapped halfway
around the building. I'll drive to Gilroy or Union City for Lowe's
instead, get the stuff at OSH (more $$$ but less chaos), or frequent
the local hardware store.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).
Ralph Becker-Szendy
Wayne Whitney

In article , TURTLE wrote:

"Wayne Whitney" wrote:

1) My default idea is to use EMT, but there seems to be a confusing
number of different types of raceways. Can anyone point me to a
good overview of them?

Just rate and figure everything in EMT and forget the race way thought.

OK, I guess I used the wrong term, I meant to say "different types of
conduits". Sounds like EMT with THHN wire is the way to go, I was
just curious about the alternatives.

Now you have left out here the most important thing of all. What are you wanting
to run or plug into these receptical and what will be the amp draw of them?

Yes, that's true, I was trying to get a handle on EMT before I got to
the details. Thanks for the responses.

Here my situation: the main loads will be a table saw (15 amp 120V
universal motor), planer (15 amp 120V universal motor), dust collector
(8 amp 240V induction motor) and jointer (6 amp 240V induction motor).
[BTW, both the DC and jointer claim to 1 HP. Is the jointer motor
really 25% more efficient?] There will also be a 120V air compressor
and miscellaneous portable tools.

I was planning on 1 240V 20 amp circuit and 2 120V 20 amp circuits,
because other than the dust collector, I'll mostly be using these
tools one at a time. I'm happy to have the jointer next to the dust
collector, so they can share a duplex receptacle. My planned physical
layout is this, along a 20' wall:

Quad 120 Quad 120 Quad 120 Electrical Panel
Duplex 240

My preference would be for each quad 120 to be two duplexes on
separate circuits. I'm a little confused about running multiple
circuits in the same conduit. Namely:

Are there any rules that if multiple circuits are in the same conduit
or box, they have to be shut off by the same breaker? Is there
anything special about having a wire run through a box without being
tapped?

If I run 2 separate 120V circuits in one conduit, do I end up with two
white wires and two black wires? Or am I supposed to use different
colors for each wire?

If I run all three circuits in one conduit, then that's 6 conductors
plus ground. Do I have to derate the conductors, and does that mean
using #10 gauge THHN for a 20 amp circuit?

Thanks,
Wayne

Ralph Becker-Szendy

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:
Actually, you can use the LOAD terminals, but it can get confusing
pretty fast so it's not necessarily a good idea -- you can't have a
shared neutral on the LOAD side of any device. I can think of a good
example where you might want to do this. Lets say you want two new 20A
120V circuits in your garage, and your garage is 100 feet from your
breaker box. To reduce the voltage drop when you're operating 2 heavy
loads at once, run 12-3 cable to the first double-gang outlet box and
install 2 GFCI outlets. Run half the outlets in the garage from the
load side of one GFCI and the other half from the load of the other
GFCI. You have to run separate neutral wires from this point on.

Completely agree. Oh, and in addition, you might want to run 10-3
cable to feed the garage (copper is expensive, but still cheaper than
the aggravation of having an annoyingly substandard electrical system,
for the next 30 years).

As an example: A few circuits in the my basement shop are being run
with 8-3 cable, even though they are just 220V 30A circuits. It's
just that for the largest power users (the table saw I want to buy
eventually), I want to have spare capacity and no voltage losses.

Our basement will have three 110V outlet circuits. One feeds most of
the rooms except the shop. It goes from the panel to a GFCI outlet
right next to the panel, and from there on only to regular outlets
(one long daisy chain, so there is no confusion). The other two come
off a 2-pole GFCI breaker (mucho bucks), and feed a 2-circuit Wiremold
plugmold strip that covers most of the walls in the shop, all wired
with 12-3 cable.

I just hope that the various building inspectors agree with our
opinions.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).
Ralph Becker-Szendy
Chris Lewis

According to Wayne Whitney :

I'd like to add some receptacles in my unfinished basement for using
the space as a workshop, and my understanding is that I need to use
conduit. I'm comfortable wiring circuits using NMB cable, but this
will be my first time using conduit, so I have several questions.

1) My default idea is to use EMT, but there seems to be a confusing
number of different types of raceways. Can anyone point me to a
good overview of them?

EMT is probably superior, but your inspector will probably not
require it. My shop has NMD along the bottom of joists, plus
short stubs of PVC to the outlet boxes. All surface mounted.

The NMD along the bottom of joists is acceptable because there's
lathe there protecting it (for later installation of drywall
on the ceiling).

2) My understanding is that is acceptable to use EMT as the equipment
ground, but is it still a good idea to run a separate EGC? If I do
so, I assume that I should bond every box to the EGC. Does it
matter if the EGC is bare or green?

Don't rely on the EMT for equipment ground. The NEC apparently
permits it in residential, but our codes forbid it. Green or bare.

3) The wall is concrete for the first 4' and then a wood stud cripple
wall covered in 1/2" sheer paneling. I don't have any experience
fastening to concrete, what is the best way to go? It would be
easier to attach to the sheer paneling, but I expect 4.5' is too
high to be convenient for receptacles.

It wasn't in my shop.

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals? One
appealing option is to use two duplex receptacles in each box, each
fed from a different leg. I believe this requires a double pole
breaker?

I did this slightly different. I sent over three shared neutral
four wire circuits. Each supplies two outlet boxes, each box
has one duplex (but split) receptacle. No circuit supplies
two adjacent boxes. A total of 12 outlets, each 120V circuit
supplies only two, not on the same box.

Oodles of power. Six circuits tho ;-) No GFCI. I'd have to use
dual GFCIs here.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
PrecisionMachinisT

"TURTLE" wrote in message
This is Turtle.

Reply below ----- I only run EMT on HVAC systems and a electricians here

maybe
able to answer better.

I have started using that liquidtite flex conduit with the grey pvc outer
jacket in a lot of places.

Still prefer the EMT type for the longer straight runs and that, but then I
put inna handy box here and there and drop or go around a corner with the
flex..........

--

SVL

Wayne Whitney

Thanks for the lengthy response! A couple comments:

In article 1095828085.181349@smirk,
wrote:

Would you trust your life to sheetmetal? Even worse, would you trust
your life to using iron (that rusts!) as a conductor?

Good point.

Also, if a grounding conductor runs through a box, it is easy to
loop it around the grounding screw once, so many boxes get grounded
for free.

I was under the impression that it is not OK to make a connection
between a screw and a wire by wrapping the wire around it like that.
Perhaps I am mistaken, or there is an exception for the EGC?

If you are pulling dedicated wire (typically THHN), it is actually
easier to pull green insulated wire - it seems to slide better.

Thanks for the tip. BTW, when would I want to use something other
than THHN?

Actually, I've been told that in a shop area, it is convenient to have
outlets relatively high (above the benches and worktables). So I have
planned a continuous ring of Wiremold plugstrips along the wall at 4'
height.

OK, I lied a bit. The concrete wall in question starts off at 62"
high and steps down to 56". I am planning to put my outlets at 48"
high, so that forces me to anchor into the concrete.

Now, at the top of the concrete wall, there is a 3.5" ledge, then 1/2"
plywood shear panels I recently installed, then an insulated cripple
stud wall. I didn't want to put anything in the cripple wall as I
expect the shear panels should be not be cut. I could fir out the
cripple wall and run NM-B horizontally at a height of 72", say, and
then drop down to metal boxes at 48" high with conduit stubs. Is that
any easier than a single horizontal conduit run at 48" high? I would
imagine it wouldn't be.

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne Whitney wrote:
Here my situation: the main loads will be a table saw (15 amp 120V
universal motor), planer (15 amp 120V universal motor), dust collector
(8 amp 240V induction motor) and jointer (6 amp 240V induction motor).
[BTW, both the DC and jointer claim to 1 HP. Is the jointer motor
really 25% more efficient?] There will also be a 120V air compressor
and miscellaneous portable tools.

One of these days, you will go to a good tool store (I suggest CB tool
in San Jose, but the place in Alameda isn't half bad either). You
will come home with a 3HP Unisaw, General or Powermatic in your truck.
At that point, you'll need a 240V 30A circuit. And you'll be kicking
yourself for not providing one.

Suggestion: Wire the 240V outlets with 10-3 cable. It is quite a pain
to wire with, but will save your sanity in the long run. You can
continue to use a 20A breaker and 20A outlets, just use heavier wire
as insurance for the future. As mentioned before, I went further
overboard, and used 8-3, which is quite a pain to use (I'm dreaming of
a General 650 with a 5HP motor).

Are there any rules that if multiple circuits are in the same conduit
or box, they have to be shut off by the same breaker?

No.

Is there
anything special about having a wire run through a box without being
tapped?

No. Just run it through. Technically, there is no need to leave extra
slack. If the box isn't very crowded, I like to make a loop in wires
that just run through; so far I've never needed to use that loop, so
this is probably a waste of time.

If I run 2 separate 120V circuits in one conduit, do I end up with two
white wires and two black wires? Or am I supposed to use different
colors for each wire?

Yes, you get two blacks and two whites. This is a bit confusing, so I
like to use a Sharpie and put red or green or blue marking on the
wire, at the ends. Or make a flag with white electrical tape, and
write a description on it. This is not code necessary. I've seen one
industrial installation being done by professionals, and they didn't
bother marking any of the wires (takes too much time). On the other
hand, they installed everything right the first time, they had wire
tracing tools to identify the ends, and they don't tinker endlessly
with their installation. YMMV.

For the hot conductors, you could buy red (and blue and mauve and ...)
wire. Unfortunately, for the neutral conductors, you have to use
something that is mostly white. In principle, white wire with a
colored stripe exists, but I've never seen it for sale (other than in
industrial quantities).

If I run all three circuits in one conduit, then that's 6 conductors
plus ground. Do I have to derate the conductors, and does that mean
using #10 gauge THHN for a 20 amp circuit?

Yes, you have to derate the conductors. I just went down to the
building site in the basement (also known as the desaster area), and
got the NEC. Article 310, table 310-19, note 8: You have to derate to
80% for 4-6 current-carrying conductors, and to 70% for 7-9. But,
don't despair: The allowable ampacity of 12 gauge THHN wire is either
25A or 30A (depending on whether the things you attach at the end of
the wire are rated to 60 degrees or 90 degrees C). And 80% of 25A is
20A, so you can continue to use 12 gauge wire. If you have 7-9
conductors, I find the code confusing (not clear whether the 70% rule
applies to the 90 degree rating, because the conductors have been
separated by the time they are attached to 60 degree rated things like
breakers and outlets).

And you don't count the grounding conductor, and you maybe don't count
the neutral conductor (note 10 to the same table says that it doesn't
need to be counted, but only if the neutral carries only the
unbalanced current, and there are no nonlinear loads, so I wouldn't
chance it).

By the way, with 6 conductors plus ground (of which some might end up
being 10 gauge), I would go to 3/4" conduit. 1/2" conduit would
probably be legal (it can technically handle nine 12-gauge
conductors), but installing it would be a royal pain. And nearly all
outlet boxes have both 1/2" and 3/4" knockouts, so it is easy.

And: Finding a copy of the NEC (could be slightly outdated version) at
a used bookstore is an excellent idea.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).
Ralph Becker-Szendy

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message

For the hot conductors, you could buy red (and blue and mauve and ...)
wire. Unfortunately, for the neutral conductors, you have to use
something that is mostly white. In principle, white wire with a
colored stripe exists, but I've never seen it for sale (other than in
industrial quantities).

Theres no reason to identify the neutral conductors, these all attach to the
same bussbar in the breaker panel anyways.

--

SVL

Greg G

There's one other factor I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. As I
understand it, you're only allowed to share a neutral between two
circuits that are on different phases.

Greg Guarino
Greg

Wayne Whitney wrote in message ...

1) My default idea is to use EMT, but there seems to be a confusing
number of different types of raceways. Can anyone point me to a
good overview of them?

I've only used EMT, and only 1/2" at that. It's reasonably easy to
work with, but as with anything else, there's a learning curve. In
fact, it's the "curves" that require the "learning".

I've seen installations where people used elbows and offset couplers
instead of bending the pipe. In fact, I had to run wire through such
an installation once. It was a real pain in the neck to thread the
wire through. You have to open each elbow in the run.

A conduit bender lets you form nice smooth curves, once you get the
hang of it. For me the hardest part was learning to get the offset
bend (a small "jog" in the conduit that brings it a little away from
the wall as it goes into a box) to face in the correct direction. Buy
more conduit than you need to account for errors.

You'll also need a rattail file small enough to smooth out the inside
edge of the conduit pieces. Otherwise the wire insulation can be
damaged by the sharp edge.

Other people on this thread have suggested running larger wire for
possible future needs. That may be a good idea, but you should
probably get yourself a good book or other reference to let you know
how many of what gage wire are permissible in the size conduit you
choose. Or, preferably, how to choose the right size for the wires you
intend to install.

3) The wall is concrete for the first 4' and then a wood stud cripple
wall covered in 1/2" sheer paneling. I don't have any experience
fastening to concrete, what is the best way to go? It would be
easier to attach to the sheer paneling, but I expect 4.5' is too
high to be convenient for receptacles.

I think that electricians tend to use Tapcon screws. They are probably
a little less work than the plastic anchors I usually use.

Greg Guarino
John Hines

Wayne Whitney wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to add some receptacles in my unfinished basement for using
the space as a workshop, and my understanding is that I need to use
conduit. I'm comfortable wiring circuits using NMB cable, but this
will be my first time using conduit, so I have several questions.

1) My default idea is to use EMT, but there seems to be a confusing
number of different types of raceways. Can anyone point me to a
good overview of them?

EMT and surface mount boxes.

2) My understanding is that is acceptable to use EMT as the equipment
ground, but is it still a good idea to run a separate EGC? If I do
so, I assume that I should bond every box to the EGC. Does it
matter if the EGC is bare or green?

I use green, except in large (#6 or larger) gauges. EGC isn't required,
but is a good idea.

3) The wall is concrete for the first 4' and then a wood stud cripple
wall covered in 1/2" sheer paneling. I don't have any experience
fastening to concrete, what is the best way to go? It would be
easier to attach to the sheer paneling, but I expect 4.5' is too
high to be convenient for receptacles.

Tapcon screws. If you plan on doing a bunch of fastening of things, a
hammer drill makes short work of it. If you get a box of 100 Tapcon
fasteners, they come with the drill bit.

You'll be able to attach other stuff to the concrete walls with this as
well.

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals? One
appealing option is to use two duplex receptacles in each box, each
fed from a different leg. I believe this requires a double pole
breaker?

You've come across the reasons. I'll suggest stranded wire, as it is
easier to work with, and prevents the usage of el-cheapo back wired
outlets.

Since you can buy wire by the foot at the borg, I suggest color coding
the wires, different colors for each circuit.

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
wrote in message

For the hot conductors, you could buy red (and blue and mauve and ...)
wire. Unfortunately, for the neutral conductors, you have to use
something that is mostly white. In principle, white wire with a
colored stripe exists, but I've never seen it for sale (other than in
industrial quantities).

Theres no reason to identify the neutral conductors, these all attach to the
same bussbar in the breaker panel anyways.

In theory, correct. In practice, it is just too easy to make
mistakes. A mistake that is easy to avoid would be to use a 14-gauge
neutral conductor (for a lighting circuit with a 15A breaker) for the
20A outlet circuit (which needs 12 gauge). Another mistake is if you
have several circuits in the same conduit and you scramble the
neutrals, so in the end most of the outlets from several circuits use
just one neutral wire (which is overloaded now), while the other
neutral wires are heavily underutilized. If you have multiple white
conductors of the same gauge in a box, this can happen easily.

Wayne Whitney wrote:

In article 1095831266.920726@smirk,
wrote:
One of these days, you will go to a good tool store (I suggest CB tool
in San Jose, but the place in Alameda isn't half bad either).

What's the place in Alameda?

The Japan Woodworker, 1731 Clement Ave, Alameda. Specializes in
Japanese hand tools (I'm beginning to salivite just thinking about
them), but also has a good selection of big machines.

OK, if I use 3/4" EMT and have 6 #12 THHN conductors plus ground in
it, and I want to pull out two #12 conductors and replace them with
#10 or #8, how hard would that be? My entire conduit run is a
straight 15 feet, it should be a relatively simple install (once I
figure out all the nuances of conduit).

Through 15 feet of straight conduit: trivial. Even if there are other
conductors already in place. Probably don't even need a fish tape,
just push the wire through (maybe get a piece of solid wire to use as
a fish, then use it to pull stranded wire through). If you had said
"50 feet of 1/2" conduit, with 3 ninety-degree bends, already
stuffed", I would have said: Hard but doable (you'll have skinned
knuckles afterwards).

Our worst experience with this was pulling three 2/0 conductors (about
1/2" of copper each, for a 200A service) through about 70 feet of 1
1/2" conduit, with a few bends. We ended up with one person pushing
like mad, and filling the conduit with wire pulling lubricant, and the
second person using their full 200 lbs weight as a gravity operated
human winch. Took all afternoon, and afterwards all our hands were a
big mess. It is very hard to hold on to wire that has been smeared
with lubricant, so you keep sliding off, and hitting the sharp metal
edges. Much fun. Should have used 2 inch conduit instead.

Good luck!

Wayne Whitney wrote:

I was under the impression that it is not OK to make a connection
between a screw and a wire by wrapping the wire around it like that.
Perhaps I am mistaken, or there is an exception for the EGC?

Tell me more about that. If that's really true, I'll have to redo a
lot of boxes before the building inspector shows up. I'll check into
it.

Thanks for the tip. BTW, when would I want to use something other
than THHN?

Inside conduit, in practice, never. The only single-conductor wire
that is commonly sold is THHN. And the wire inside NM-B is also
de-facto THHN (even though it is not labeled such, it has to be rated
to 90 degrees). Clearly, extension cords, outdoor underground
feeders, and machine tools are a different story.

Now, at the top of the concrete wall, there is a 3.5" ledge, then 1/2"
plywood shear panels I recently installed, then an insulated cripple
stud wall. I didn't want to put anything in the cripple wall as I
expect the shear panels should be not be cut. I could fir out the
cripple wall and run NM-B horizontally at a height of 72", say, and
then drop down to metal boxes at 48" high with conduit stubs. Is that
any easier than a single horizontal conduit run at 48" high? I would
imagine it wouldn't be.

Looks like more work to me: You have to build all the furring or
soffit to hide then NM-B in, then you have to cut and connect all the
conduit stubs, and you still have to worry about getting the NM-B in
and out of the conduit (easiest way is to put a small handy-box
there). You would end up with way more pieces, and need more wire.

By the way, several posters mentioned Tapcon screws. I've used them
for things like hanging shelving. But when I pulled my permit, the
chief inspector (Santa Cruz county) said that even though the Tapcons
are rated for structural use, and have ICBO evaluation reports, the
building inspectors hate seeing them, because the tend to wiggle loose
if you hit them a few times, or if something connected to them
vibrates. So I have avoided them where it matters - just to avoid
trouble with the inspector, and switched to plastic anchors (for
non-structural things, like electrical boxes and plumbing) and steel
anchors (for all structural stuff). This might be a general
statement, or it might just be one inspectors pet peeve, don't know.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).
Ralph Becker-Szendy
PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message
In article ,
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

IIRC, the OP mentioned he would only be running 2 outlets, with one or
perhaps two neutrals.

--

SVL

KJS

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:03:18 -0700, Wayne Whitney wrote
(in article ):

[...]

If NM is allowed as a wiring method in your jurisdiction, then it can
generally be used for exposed work in an unfinished residential basement, but
not where it could be subject to damage. You can protect it with running
boards, or sleeve it in conduit as necessary. However, for a workshop, IMHO,
you're wise to consider another wiring method. It will make for a safer and
more workman-like installation. In answer to your questions

1) In addition to EMT, the common raceway types are Rigid, Intermediate Metal
Conduit (IMC), Rigid Non-Metallic Conduit (NMC), Flexible Metal Conduit (FMC
or Flex), Armored Cable (AC) and Metal-Clad Cable (MC).

Rigid and IMC are heavywall aluminum or steel pipe used in various hazardous
locations or where subject to extreme damage. They are difficult to bend and
install and are over-kill for your proposed application.

NMC is a gray PVC pipe available in Schedule 40 or Schedule 80 wall
thickness. It is joined by solvent cement and is relatively easy to install.
It must be fastened within 3' of each box and every 10' otherwise. There is
an assorment of boxes and fittings available in PVC which solvent weld to the
pipe, or you can use conventional metal boxes and attach the pipe with a male
threaded adaptor and lockring. NMC obviously does not provide a grounding
path.

Flex is made of an interlocking spiral of aluminum or steel strip. It is
relatively easy to install but difficult to fish. It must be fastened within
12" of each box and every 4 1/2' feet, but for a neat installation it is
usually supported at much closer intervals. It provides a grounding path if
the conduit and fittings are listed for grounding, otherwise it may only be
used as the EGC where the ground return path does not exceed 6'.

AC and MC look like flex but come as an assembly with conductors installed.
They are available with different conductor combinations: 14-2, 14-3, 12-2,
12-3 are commonly available. AC does not include a grounding conductor,
instead it has an internal bonding strip which is folded back and clamped in
each fitting to assure the ground path. MC includes an insulated grounding
conductor. Both types provide a grounding path. AC must be supported like
Flex but MC may be supported at 6' intervals. AC must have plastic
"anti-short" bushings installed in the cut ends where they attach to a clamp
or fitting.

I personally like using EMT, but installing it can be tedious. Bending
becomes easy after 10 years of practice, but initially there's a lot of
wasted pipe. You probably should consider NMC or MC as your wiring method.

For two circuits of #12 THHN conductors, 1/2" NMC, EMT, or Flex will be
comfortably adequate.

2) Yes, EMT is acceptable as the EGC, but it provides a better ground return
path to include a bare or insulated grounding conductor. And yes, every box
must be bonded, generally by looping one of the EGC's around the grounding
screw before nutting the EGC's together. If you don't run an EGC, then any
receptacle's ground terminal must be pigtailed to the box, unless the
receptacle is identified as suitable for grounding through the box-mounting
screws. Even then it's good practice to pigtail them - it guarantees the
ground path even if the mounting screws are loosened or removed.

3) To anchor to concrete, you'll need a percussion (hammer) drill and a
suitable bit. You can use a regulary rotary drill and masonry bit, but the
drilling will be tedious. You can use metal anchors and screws or masonry
screws alone (Tapcons). I prefer the Tapcons. They're expensive, but save
time and make a very firm connection. I buy them in bulk, but I've seen them
in boxes of 100 with the appropriate bit included. 3/16" x 1 1/4" would be
the right size for box and conduit straps. They have combination hex and
phillips heads. Use a hex drive for installation - it takes a bit of torque.

4) For a home workshop, two 20 Amp receptacle circuits for plug and cord
tools sounds like a good plan. Running both circuits to each quad box and
splitting the receptacles between them is also good design. This plan also
allows you to install a 220V receptacle in any box, if you should eventually
need that.

You do not need a double pole CB just because there are two circuits in each
box, even if you use a multiwire (Edison) circuit with a shared neutral. If
you do have a 220V receptacle in the circuit, or split a single duplex
between the circuits (ie: two circuits feeding a device on the same yoke),
then you need a double-pole CB. However, there's nothing to prevent you from
using a double-pole and it's not a bad idea.

As to multiwire branch circuits: I happen to like them, they save copper and
help with box and conduit fill. However, they have the drawback that if the
neutral becomes disconnected, and you have devices plugged-in to both
circuits, the connected devices will be "two-twentied". Just make your
neutral connections carefully, particularly at the panelboard neutral bus.

The other drawback to Edison circuits is that GFCI receptacles will not work
on them. In a residential basement, you should be using GFCI protection.
You can only run the common neutral to the first pair of GFCI's - from then
on the neutrals must be split. On the subject of GFCI's: The most
economical design is to use a pair of them in the first box and then use
their Load terminals to feed conventional duplexes in all the other boxes.
This protects the downstream receptacles, and costs much less than GFCI CB's.
However, if you want to install a 220V receptacle anywhere "after" the
GFCI's, this won't work. In that case, you'll need a 110/220V GFCI CB to
protect the circuit.

One additional thing to consider for a workshop is whether you should run a
feeder to a "sub-panel" in the shop, and then run your branch circuits from
there. If you think you might eventually expand this installation with
additional circuits, it might not be a bad idea, particularly if it's a long
run to the main panel.

I should probably give you the standard caution about contacting the
"authority having jurisdiction" for the specific requirements in your area,
pulling a permit, inspection etc. Nonetheless, I'm aware that sometimes
electrical work is done without this legal requirement, and sometimes it's
even safe and workman-like. Do some reading on the proper installation for
the wiring method you choose. There are plenty of good books on home wiring.
The place to learn is definitely not Home Depot. Be wary of advice in this
NG as well (including mine for that matter). There's a lot of scary
misinformation posted on electrical questions...

Good Luck,

Kenneth

Doug Miller

In article , zxcvbob wrote:
Wayne Whitney wrote:

In article , Wayne Whitney wrote:

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals?

I believe I've figured this one out--since the circuit will require
GFCI protection, using a shared neutral would require an expensive
240V/120V GFCI breaker. So to use 120V GFCIs, I'll have to use
separate neutrals.

Cheers, Wayne

You would not necessarily *have to* use separate neutrals. You could
use separate GFCI's.

Not on a 240/120 circuit, you can't. Doesn't work.
zxcvbob

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , zxcvbob wrote:

Wayne Whitney wrote:

In article , Wayne Whitney wrote:

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals?

I believe I've figured this one out--since the circuit will require
GFCI protection, using a shared neutral would require an expensive
240V/120V GFCI breaker. So to use 120V GFCIs, I'll have to use
separate neutrals.

Cheers, Wayne

You would not necessarily *have to* use separate neutrals. You could
use separate GFCI's.

Not on a 240/120 circuit, you can't. Doesn't work.

It can if you do it right. It won't work if you need a GFCI protected
240V device. Otherwise, you can even mix 240V unprotected outlets and
120V GFCI outlets and 120V-outlets-connected-to-the-GFCI-load-screws,
all on one edison circuit. (it may not meet local codes to mix 120V and
240V outlets on a branch circuit, but that's not the point.)

As long as the only return path for the hot LOAD wire of a GFCI is back
to the neutral LOAD screw of the same device, it will work. The GFCI
will not even know it is sharing a neutral LINE wire.

Bob
HA HA Budys Here

From: Wayne Whitney
Date: 9/22/2004 12:57 AM Easte

OK, I guess I used the wrong term, I meant to say "different types of
conduits". Sounds like EMT with THHN wire is the way to go, I was
just curious about the alternatives.

Emt is the easiest and most efficient way to go.

[...]

No. The only time a breaker has to be common tripped with another is when the 2
circuits are connected to the same device YOKE.

IOW - a 220v receptacle is on one yoke. It's breaker must have a common trip.

A duplex receptacle split into 2 circuits by removing the jumper tab would be
considered 2 circuits on one yoke, and the breakers would have to common trip.

A combination device at your back door, with 2 switches on it both on the same
yoke, one fed by one circuit for the back door light and the other for the
power to your backyard shed which is on it's own circuit, would have to be
common trip.

Is there
anything special about having a wire run through a box without being
tapped?

Nope just pass it through.

If I run 2 separate 120V circuits in one conduit, do I end up with two
white wires and two black wires? Or am I supposed to use different
colors for each wire?

In residential both hots can be black, but you could use a black for one
circuit and a red or blur for the other if you desire.

You will have 2 neutrals and they must be white.

If I run all three circuits in one conduit, then that's 6 conductors
plus ground. Do I have to derate the conductors, and does that mean
using #10 gauge THHN for a 20 amp circuit?

No.

Thanks,
Wayne

TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Reply below and try to sort it out.

[...]

This is a bit of over kill here but your not paying for labor so go for it.

Now the wires run for the jointer & dust collector. i would just run one set of
wires for the 230 volt service wire to the two of them and have a receptical for
each. Both can share the wire / breaker as they both will be connected very near
each other. Wire size / breaker size will have to be dealt with other than this
talk.

Now the table saw and the planner in my opinion should have their own seperate
service of 120 volts and have each a breaker by theirself. Planner one set of
wires and breaker and a set of wires just for the table saw's 120 volt service.

You will have 2 service sets of wires for the table saw and Planner. Then one
set of wires / breaker for the DC and Jointer with 2 recepticals. You will have
2 black wires / 1 green or nake ground wire to be joined at the 2 receptical. We
have not cover wire size yet.

My preference would be for each quad 120 to be two duplexes on
separate circuits. I'm a little confused about running multiple
circuits in the same conduit. Namely:

Are there any rules that if multiple circuits are in the same conduit
or box, they have to be shut off by the same breaker? Is there
anything special about having a wire run through a box without being
tapped?

NO and NO

Now tring to figure out what set of wires go to each of the 120 volt services or
equipment. you can paint one set of wires for one of the pieces of equipment
with spray paint about 1 foot at the end to tell which is which. Now really it
will not make much difference for your only going to have 2 blacks / 2 whites
and 2 ground wires. The two whites and the ground at the switch box are going at
the same place and then one black wire to each of the equipment. It don't take
much to figure it out for there is only 3 wire for each and different colors to
boot. Just get one black to each piece of equipment and the white & Ground to
the receptical. To each piece of equipment you will have ground/common/ Black.

If I run 2 separate 120V circuits in one conduit, do I end up with two
white wires and two black wires? Or am I supposed to use different
colors for each wire?

You will have 2 black wire , 2 white wires, and 2 Green or Nake ground wires.
Then 1 Black [hot wire]/ 1 white [common ] / 1 Green or nake [ground wire ] will
go to one piece of equipment and the other set left will go to the other. DON'T
FORGET TO HAVE A GROUND WIRE TO EACH. It can be green or Nake wire.

If I run all three circuits in one conduit, then that's 6 conductors
plus ground. Do I have to derate the conductors, and does that mean
using #10 gauge THHN for a 20 amp circuit?

We will have to cover the rating of the wire / breaker size by the way you run
it and go by a wire chart for what you call derating the circuit or wire. I have
wire charts to tell you what will fit in the conduit and what rating of the
number of wire / amp draw of each / size of conduit. Tell me what way your going
to run the wire like all in one or seperate conduits. If you like you can e-mail
me and I can look up the wire rating verses the conduit size for you or post
back here.

TURTLE