JB

Default Trapping chipmunks

I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a
have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their
way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but
would like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that
would eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.
Kyle Boatright

"JB" wrote in message
I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a
have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their
way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but would
like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that would
eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.

Everything I've seen says carry them at least 3 miles away and 5 is better.

KB

Red Neckerson

"JB" wrote in message
I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a
have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their
way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but
would like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that
would eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.

Get 'em a singing contract and they'll never come home..

"ALLLLLLLVIN!!!!!!!!!"

Oscar_Lives

"JB" wrote in message
I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a
have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their
way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but would
like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that would
eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.

You better be scared. Those chipmonks are gonna come back with their
brothers and beat the living crap out of you. It will be so bad that Mr.
Yankee Rebel won't be able to help you.

God save your soul.

Randd01

Get a few hawks as pets!

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

"JB" wrote in message
I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a
have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their
way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but would
like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that would
eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.

Everything I've seen says carry them at least 3 miles away and 5 is better.

KB

10 miles away or into the stewpot, either works.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
m Ransley

Nesting next to your foundation means they likely then live in your
house. 5 miles is good, but probably poison is then needed.

JerryMouse

JB wrote:
I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have
a have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding
their way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that
but would like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out
that would eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back
'home'.

Experiment.

Spray paint your next batch of 3-mile chipmunks green.

If, thereafter, you see a green chipmunk (and haven't been drinking), go for
red and four miles.

Me, I'd dangle 'em from Helium-filled balloons and let the next state worry
about it. To avoid animal cruelty concerns, fit each 'munk with a teeny
helmet.

You can also think "Cat."

Phisherman

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 01:48:31 GMT, JB wrote:

I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a
have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their
way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but
would like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that
would eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.

I have not had luck with trapping them, although this might work for
you. I probably would use rodent poison (without allowing the wife
to notice) in addition to the trapping. Chipmunks can be very
destructive. We have large black snakes that usually take care of the
rodent issues, no poisons nor trapping needed. Maybe an outdoor cat
will help.
Ron Hardin

JB wrote:

I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a
have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their
way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but
would like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that
would eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.

I always liked them around. They're also easy to tame, if you're willing
to sit motionless for the longest time offering food, say peanut butter
on a stick. You have to be motionless less and less time until it's
nothing at all. This is when I was a kid, but they may have changed under
the influence of TV or something, for all I know. Something must eat them
where I live now because I don't see any.

I don't know that they find their way back at all. They just repopulate
where there's favorable conditions, as long as there's a breeding population.
They must have a litter every month. So they ``fill up'' the available slots
pretty fast, and die out beyond that.
--
Ron Hardin

PaPaPeng

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:24:40 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

I always liked them around. They're also easy to tame, if you're willing
to sit motionless for the longest time offering food, say peanut butter
on a stick. You have to be motionless less and less time until it's
nothing at all. This is when I was a kid, but they may have changed under
the influence of TV or something, for all I know. Something must eat them
where I live now because I don't see any.

I don't know that they find their way back at all. They just repopulate
where there's favorable conditions, as long as there's a breeding population.
They must have a litter every month. So they ``fill up'' the available slots
pretty fast, and die out beyond that.

Oh yeah. They're cute?

A mile away the developers were poisoning a large colony of
Richardson's Ground Squirrels, that's the gopher's ID around here,
and one of them must have panicked and made its home under my front
concrete landing. I generally love all god's creatures so I left it
alone and even fed it with nuts on occasion. Looks like it didn't
like to live alone and disappeared over the winter.

Two years later I was on a 6 ft ladder to paint the window trim when
one leg started to sink into the ground. I was only about 4 steps up
so it shouldn't be difficult to jump off. But I didn't figure that
the weight of the remaining foot on the step I used to jump off from
would cause the ladder's single leg to break through the gopher
tunnel roof. Yup, that was the problem. The gopher had tunnelled from
the landing along the edge of the wall to a bush.

So my jump was totally screwed up and I tumbled causing my elbow to
jab into my ribs. The pain was excruiating and affected the whole
left side of everything. At that point I couldn't even identify the
injury because it was so broad. X-rays, Dr. examinations, etc.
Luckily nothing seemed broken but the pain only faded after a month.

I'll stick to feeding the birds.

Joe C

"JB" wrote in message
I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a
have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their
way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but
would like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that
would eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.

Use this method and distance won't matter.

Trap using the have a heart trap
transfer to cardboard box to release location
put a couple of mothballs in the box for them to play with
release wherever you'd like.

Worked for me.

Oscar_Lives

"Joe C" wrote in message
news
Trap using the have a heart trap
transfer to cardboard box to release location
put a couple of mothballs in the box for them to play with
release wherever you'd like.

Worked for me.

How the hell did you get their little legs spread apart?