raymondj

Default Bench grinder tool and lawn mower blades

Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever (like
with a dremel.) I have a bunch of blades to sharpen each year and I
just want to bang them out (and not have to drive to the shop and wait
2 weeks for them to be sharpened.)

I see the Delta sharpening kit has terrible reviews (as do most of the
delta bench grinders.) I did see a special bench grinder with a jig
made for lawn mower blades to set the angle, but the unit was close to
$300.

Can any of the Jet, Baldor, etc be equipped to easily sharpen blades
accurately?
Greg

I do mine by eye, just trying to match the original angle. I set the little
guide in gront of the wheel if I am really serious but I am usually just trying
to get the dings out.
Greg O

"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences.

I used too run a small engine shop, so I have sharpened a ton of mower
blades.
Yes, a common bench grider will do a good job, but one day I grabed my
4-1/2" DeWalt angle grinder to sharpen a blade and never used the bench
grinder again! Clamp the blade in a bench vice, hold the grinder with both
hands, use the accessory handle, hold the grinder against you stomach for
extra stability, and grind away! I can sharpen blades that look like they
were done on a machine. With a little practice you will get the knack of
holding the grinder so the angle stays constant. Instead of moving the
grinder with my hands I sway back and forth moving my weight from my right
and left foot.
I have had people ask what kind of sharpening machine I use because the
blades look so good!
A good friend, that mows lawns for a living, sharpens blades the same after
watching me do it.
DeWalt 4-1/2" angle grinder, about $90.
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever

Belt sander. Takes about 45 seconds a side. Put the blade in a vice and
give it a grinding with a course grit paper.

Just follow the existing angle as best you can.

JerryMouse

raymondj wrote:
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever (like
with a dremel.) I have a bunch of blades to sharpen each year and I
just want to bang them out (and not have to drive to the shop and wait
2 weeks for them to be sharpened.)

Use anything, from a hand file up to a milling machine.

You're not going to use the result to plane antique mahogany furniture, for
heaven's sake - you're cutting grass!

Greg

You're not going to use the result to plane antique mahogany furniture, for
heaven's sake - you're cutting grass!

My thoughts exactly. It's just grass.

There is so much sand in my yard that I end up wearing out a blade in a year
anyway. I sand blast away so much metal that the tips fly off if I don't.
xrongor

if you cant get it sharp enough with a hand file without removing the blade,
you will likely throw the blade out of balance unless you take steps to
prevent this. this will shorten engine life at best and kill you at worst.

randy

"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever (like
with a dremel.) I have a bunch of blades to sharpen each year and I
just want to bang them out (and not have to drive to the shop and wait
2 weeks for them to be sharpened.)

I see the Delta sharpening kit has terrible reviews (as do most of the
delta bench grinders.) I did see a special bench grinder with a jig
made for lawn mower blades to set the angle, but the unit was close to
$300.

Can any of the Jet, Baldor, etc be equipped to easily sharpen blades
accurately?

Stormin Mormon

Don't need accurate. Just grind the bevel side.

Drive a nail in the wall behind your work bench. Hang the blade on the nail
(nail goes through the center mounting bolt hole). Make sure the blade
doesn't rub on the wall.

Hold the blade horizontal, and then let go with your hands. One end of the
blade will go down. That's the heavy end. Grind on the heavy end for a
couple more seconds.

Repeat until the blade hangs horizontal.

Remit $48.50 for consultation, please.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever (like
with a dremel.) I have a bunch of blades to sharpen each year and I
just want to bang them out (and not have to drive to the shop and wait
2 weeks for them to be sharpened.)

I see the Delta sharpening kit has terrible reviews (as do most of the
delta bench grinders.) I did see a special bench grinder with a jig
made for lawn mower blades to set the angle, but the unit was close to
$300.

Can any of the Jet, Baldor, etc be equipped to easily sharpen blades
accurately?

Stormin Mormon

I read through several posts, and I was the only one who told him how to
balance the blade. Hope you fine gents can learn from my experience. Hey,
that would be $48.5o from each of you.... I like that idea!

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Greg" wrote in message
You're not going to use the result to plane antique mahogany furniture, for
heaven's sake - you're cutting grass!

My thoughts exactly. It's just grass.

There is so much sand in my yard that I end up wearing out a blade in a year
anyway. I sand blast away so much metal that the tips fly off if I don't.

raymondj

This sounds like a good idea! I already have a Dewalt 4.5" angle
grinder. What type of grinding device do you use? Just a metal
sanding disc? Do you grind using the flat part of the disc or do you
use the side (as if you were using a metal cutting disc) ?

Thanks for the good idea.

"Greg O" wrote in message ...
"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Nick Hull

In article ,
"JerryMouse" wrote:

raymondj wrote:
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever (like
with a dremel.) I have a bunch of blades to sharpen each year and I
just want to bang them out (and not have to drive to the shop and wait
2 weeks for them to be sharpened.)

Use anything, from a hand file up to a milling machine.

You're not going to use the result to plane antique mahogany furniture, for
heaven's sake - you're cutting grass!

When I was a child, my older brother removed the blade and got it real
sharp and we used it all summer. The next spring he took the blade off
to sharpen it, and it was still razor sharp because he had installed it
upside down so we were cutting with the unsharpened back side of the
blade. No one had noticed any difference in cutting power.

I have used my bush hog for 25 years and haven't sharpened it yet.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Greg

I agree with the advice to use a hand held grinder. It's fast and
easy and I prefer it to even a bench grinder.

Right on. I am giong to go with my 4" Makita next time.
Greg O

"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
This sounds like a good idea! I already have a Dewalt 4.5" angle
grinder. What type of grinding device do you use? Just a metal
sanding disc? Do you grind using the flat part of the disc or do you
use the side (as if you were using a metal cutting disc) ?

Thanks for the good idea.

I use the standard 4-1/2" grinding disks, about 1/4" thick. Hold the grinder
so just the edge of the wheel touches the blade. I usually mount the blade
in the vise so the edge I am sharpening sticks out the left side of the vise
and points up.
Greg

Chet Hayes

"xrongor" wrote in message ...
if you cant get it sharp enough with a hand file without removing the blade,
you will likely throw the blade out of balance unless you take steps to
prevent this. this will shorten engine life at best and kill you at worst.

randy

"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever (like
with a dremel.) I have a bunch of blades to sharpen each year and I
just want to bang them out (and not have to drive to the shop and wait
2 weeks for them to be sharpened.)

I see the Delta sharpening kit has terrible reviews (as do most of the
delta bench grinders.) I did see a special bench grinder with a jig
made for lawn mower blades to set the angle, but the unit was close to
$300.

Can any of the Jet, Baldor, etc be equipped to easily sharpen blades
accurately?

Perhaps you can provide us with a link to anyone being killed by a
mower blade that was sharpened and not balanced? Sure, it can make
the mower vibrate, but long before anything life threatening would
happen, the mower would be vibrating so badly that only a fool would
try to use it.

And balancing it is quite simple, you can buy a plastic cone type
balancing gizmo at home centers for a couple of bucks.
xrongor

never claimed anyone was killed. never claimed balancing was hard.

if you feel the need to post, why not answer some questions instead of
whatever this was....

randy

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
m...
"xrongor" wrote in message
if you cant get it sharp enough with a hand file without removing the
blade,
you will likely throw the blade out of balance unless you take steps to
prevent this. this will shorten engine life at best and kill you at
worst.

randy

om...