MilkyWhy

Default Grounding Rod For Electrical Box

My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box. As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1 foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8 foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers, etc.

I wonder how many other people use this sort of simple, common sense. Appearing
to comply with assinine govt regulations, and then going on to correct
government idiocies, and to make their home safe?
berkshire bill

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box.
As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1
foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8
foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some
started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers,
etc.

I wonder how many other people use this sort of simple, common sense.
Appearing
to comply with assinine govt regulations, and then going on to correct
government idiocies, and to make their home safe?

Your practice has made whatever you are using for surge protection useless.

Bill

Dave

Let me get this straight, all eight of your neighbors have been struck
by lightning and you haven't. Where do you live, that you only have eight
neighbors and all were struck by lightning. Do you have a lightning rod to
direct the strike away from your home? Or, are you saying that the ground
wire caused all the homes in the neighborhood to receive an indirect strike.
In any case, I would worry a little about inadequate grounding. Are you
grounded to water pipes? You would have some trouble collecting insurance
for electrocution injury if it came out that you had violated building code.
That could happen years later, even after you sold the home.

Dave

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box.
As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1
foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8
foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some
started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers,
etc.

I wonder how many other people use this sort of simple, common sense.
Appearing
to comply with assinine govt regulations, and then going on to correct
government idiocies, and to make their home safe?

George

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box.

As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1

foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8

foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some

started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers,

etc.

Thats good thinking. Years of experience and knowledge could certainly be
wrong. And aren't you worried about that 1 foot ground rod still being a
"lightning magnet"?

I wonder how many other people use this sort of simple, common sense.

Appearing
to comply with assinine govt regulations, and then going on to correct
government idiocies, and to make their home safe?

indago

040906 0949 - George posted:

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box.

As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1

foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8

foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some

started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers,

etc.

Thats good thinking. Years of experience and knowledge could certainly be
wrong. And aren't you worried about that 1 foot ground rod still being a
"lightning magnet"?

Yes, I would most certainly pull this 1 foot ground rod out and replace it
with a plastic one...

MLD

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box.

As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1

foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8

foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some

started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers,

etc.

I wonder how many other people use this sort of simple, common sense.

Appearing
to comply with assinine govt regulations, and then going on to correct
government idiocies, and to make their home safe?

Hopefully, when/if you sell your house you'll put the 8 ft ground back in.
Why pass your potential problem on to someone else. Code in my area
requires two (2) 8 ft grounds--one before and one after the water
meter--electrician gave me the reason but can't recall why.
MLD

SQLit

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box.

As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1

foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8

foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some

started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers,

etc.

I wonder how many other people use this sort of simple, common sense.

Appearing
to comply with assinine govt regulations, and then going on to correct
government idiocies, and to make their home safe?

Your one of the reasons that the NEC has gotten so large and insurance
companies are starting to investigate losses more often.

Your electrical system is not grounded properly. Can you please let me know
your vital information so I can take out some life insurance on you and
yours. This will be sure bet that something will go wrong sooner and then I
can cash in and retire.

---

bumtracks

you're one selfish guy - all of your lightning strikes are going back out
your wires & damaging the neighbors homes. I'd start a class action law
suite if I were your neighbor.

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box.

As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1

foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8

foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some

started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers,

etc.

I wonder how many other people use this sort of simple, common sense.

Appearing
to comply with assinine govt regulations, and then going on to correct
government idiocies, and to make their home safe?

HorneTD

MilkyWhy wrote:
My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box. As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1 foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8 foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers, etc.

I wonder how many other people use this sort of simple, common sense. Appearing
to comply with assinine govt regulations, and then going on to correct
government idiocies, and to make their home safe?

.:\:/:.
+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

HorneTD

Dave wrote:

Let me get this straight, all eight of your neighbors have been struck
by lightning and you haven't. Where do you live, that you only have eight
neighbors and all were struck by lightning. Do you have a lightning rod to
direct the strike away from your home? Or, are you saying that the ground
wire caused all the homes in the neighborhood to receive an indirect strike.
In any case, I would worry a little about inadequate grounding. Are you
grounded to water pipes? You would have some trouble collecting insurance
for electrocution injury if it came out that you had violated building code.
That could happen years later, even after you sold the home.

Dave

Dave
He is just a troll who wrote up that fiction just to see who would rise
to the bait. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.
--
Tom H

zxcvbob

indago wrote:
040906 0949 - George posted:

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message

My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the
electrical box. As soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick
took that up and put in a 1 foot deep rod, instead. I did that,
to make my place less inviting to lightning strikes. Now, in the
past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8 foot deep
grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some
started fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs,
computers, washers, etc.

Thats good thinking. Years of experience and knowledge could
certainly be wrong. And aren't you worried about that 1 foot
ground rod still being a "lightning magnet"?

Yes, I would most certainly pull this 1 foot ground rod out and
replace it with a plastic one...

Have you ever tried hammering in one of those plastic ground rods? It's
almost impossible. Trust me; it's worth the extra couple of dollars to
go with the tempered glass rods, or ceramic. Make sure you get the hard
rubber "driving cap" before trying to hammer it in if you're using a
metal hammer. (You can drive it without a cap if you're careful and
use a wooden croquet mallet or an old shoe instead of a metal hammer)

HTH :-)

Bob
MilkyWhy

Years of experience and knowledge could certainly be
wrong. And aren't you worried about that 1 foot ground rod still being a
"lightning magnet"?
george

Notice, over the years, George, that certain things happen in certain ways and
in predictable circumstances. I have noticed that new houses with deep
grounding for their electrical boxes seem to be more prone to lightning strikes
than older setup's. If I had to dream up a theory to go along with this, I
would say that the EMF potential in the sky instantaneously seeks the very
least path of resistance. The better grounds take the shot, while the lesser
ones often do not.

TURTLE

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
My code requires an 8 foot depth copper rod, to ground the electrical box. As
soon as the Inspector okayed that, I quick took that up and put in a 1 foot
deep rod, instead. I did that, to make my place less inviting to lightning
strikes. Now, in the past 5 years, all of my neighbors -with identical 8 foot
deep grounding rods- have had their boxes struck by lightning. Some started
fires, most of the lightning strikes burned up TVs, computers, washers, etc.

I wonder how many other people use this sort of simple, common sense.

Appearing
to comply with assinine govt regulations, and then going on to correct
government idiocies, and to make their home safe?

This is Turtle.

Earth to Milky way , Without the ground rod 8 feet down and grounding your
netural and grounds of all you appliances. If for some strange reason you would
loose the ground wire coming to your home. Every appliance Stove, ovens, light
fixtures, gas and water lines, Plumbing fixtures, washers & driers, and
Refrigerators & freezers will have 120 volts on all the metal parts of them.
Every thing metal in your home will be electrified with 120 volts of
electricity. The thought of grabing the refrigerator door in the morning to get
something out of it and you being bare footed would surely be a surprise as you
be electricuted in your kitchen.

Lightening can burn down my house and blow up every appliance i have before i
kill any of my family members by not having a ground.

I may send your post to the Most stupittest act of man to see if you can be in
the top 10 this years. The winner last year won by putting his male parts
between his legs in a golf cource ball washer and his buddy started turning it.
He lost one of his 2 items of interest there and was ask to leave the Golf
cource in a Ambalance. You may be able to get in the top 10 this year with this
one.

If you like I can find the forms to fill out to be registered to win , if you
like.

TURTLE

w_tom

Neutral wire failed inside the transformer. Normally not a
problem. But they had an insufficient earth ground
connection. Electricity therefore found another path back to
transformer via the gas meter. Fortunately no one was home
when it exploded. But MilkyWhy already knows all this.

Years of experience and knowledge - such as posted above -
clearly are wrong. After all, MilkyWhy needs no experience
and no electrical training to know those ground rods only
create damage. Stupid government regulations only make
MilkyWhy's life more expensive (even though those regulations
are from non-government, non-profit organizations). Good
thing that MilkyWhy never bothered wasting time first learning
how electricity works or gaining years of experience. He has
his junk science reasoning to prove we are fools - and only he
can be right.

When you eventually learn enough to reinstall that eight
foot ground rod, then do not use the original hole. Again,
from experience and knowledge. Drive that rod into a new
location - for reasons electrical.

MilkyWhy wrote:
Years of experience and knowledge could certainly be wrong.
And aren't you worried about that 1 foot ground rod still
being a "lightning magnet"?
george

Notice, over the years, George, that certain things happen in
certain ways and in predictable circumstances. I have noticed
that new houses with deep grounding for their electrical boxes
seem to be more prone to lightning strikes than older setup's.
If I had to dream up a theory to go along with this, I would
say that the EMF potential in the sky instantaneously seeks the
very least path of resistance. The better grounds take the shot,
while the lesser ones often do not.

MilkyWhy

Earth to Milky way , Without the ground rod 8 feet down and grounding your
netural and grounds of all you appliances. If for some strange reason you
would
loose the ground wire coming to your home. Every appliance Stove, ovens,
light
fixtures, gas and water lines, Plumbing fixtures, washers & driers, and
Refrigerators & freezers will have 120 volts on all the metal parts of them.

Uh...right. In fact, in 50 plus years of intelligently managing my wiring and
grounding, I have never had a fire and no one jolted by electricity. I have
seen plenty of neighbors with problems from lightning. According the "the best
advice" I am getting, I should either have died 50 years ago or can expect to
be electrocuted tomorrow. Rubbish.
Oscar_Lives

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
[...]

You are a ****ing idiot. Hopefully Darwin was correct.

w_tom

Demonstrated by example was a house explosion because ground
rod was missing. Somehow, reality means nothing to MilkyWhy.
Even without basic technical knowledge, Milky Why just knows.
He must be a god.

MilkyWhy: Please feel free to explain why that house,
missing the ground rod, did not explode. Please tell
electrical engineers why the engineers are wrong and why you
as so much more knowledgeable. Are the genius - who wants to
kill innocent people? So please enlighten us with your
wisdom. Why did that missing ground not result in the house
that exploded?

Oh. Your house has not yet exploded? Therefore it will
never happen?

Some joker always runs stop signs. To prove that stop signs
are unnecessary, he claims he never killed anyone ... yet.

Milky Why wrote:
Uh...right. In fact, in 50 plus years of intelligently managing
my wiring and grounding, I have never had a fire and no one
jolted by electricity. I have seen plenty of neighbors with
problems from lightning. According the "the best advice" I am
getting, I should either have died 50 years ago or can expect
to be electrocuted tomorrow. Rubbish.

Jimmie

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS
"w_tom" wrote in message
Nobody has said anything of the kind - that you should have
died already. You just know without understanding underlying
principles and then call everyone else (ie the National
Electrical Code) idiots. You are therefore a danger to
others. Eventually someone will be killed somewhere
sometime. We install that earth ground and other functions so
that 10,000 homes without earth ground do not result in one
death in one of those homes. Therefore after 50 years
experience, you still don't know from experience if you are
correct.

You also don't know why lightning damage does or does not
happen. Again you demonstrate the classic logic that causes
failures. You observe, declare (wildly speculate) only from
observations (without any technical knowledge) that this is
happening, and then declare yourself the expert. You
immediately declare as idiots others with fundamental training
and who instead have learned from same.

The ground rod is necessary for human safety. This from
others who first learned basic facts - ie how electricity
works. Earth ground is also the most critical function for
lightning protection - as even Ben Franklin demonstrated in
1752. Why do some homes suffer damage and others not?
Lightning strike damage is a function also of geology meaning
that some homes in the same neighborhood are at greater risk.
Those other homes with earth grounds and damage have
additional wiring problems beyond this discussion. You, on
the other hand, have created a serious human safety problem
and don't even understand why. For example, you have set
yourself up for a possible house explosion.

Does this say your house will definitely blow up? Of course
not. But after 50 years, you should have learned logic of "I
am still here" or "It has not happened to me yet" actually
proves nothing. They used the same failed logic to murder
seven Challenger astronauts and then murder seven Columbia
astronauts. Your earth ground must be installed. And now
that you have removed the eight foot ground rod, then it must
be installed in a new hole.

For protection of lightning, additional facts must be
learned.

Only one of so many reasons why that ground rod is required:
your house could explode. Reinstall the ground rod because we
are concerned for the lives of other innocent people. Then
use that 50 years of experience to appreciate why you still
have so much more to learn. Some 50+ year olds and teenagers
both have a problem. They know enough and don't need no
stink'in education.

The code is correct. You absolutely need that earth ground
rod. But the code is not sufficient. For lightning
protection, you must exceed or enhance beyond the code. Your
neighbors apparently have not learned that last sentence since
damage from direct lightning strikes is their human failure.

MilkyWhy wrote:
According to "the best advice" I am getting, I should either
have died 50 years ago or can expect to be electrocuted
tomorrow. Rubbish.

You are a f***ing idiot.

You are half-baked dickhead, relying on PBS level "electrical
know how". Get off the newsgroup, puke *******.

Oscar_Lives

http://tinyurl.com/4nken

Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Another subpanel grounding question Korey Atterberry Home Repair 9 July 7th 04 01:30 PM
Canadian Entrance Panel Grounding Doug M. Home Repair 3 March 2nd 04 09:15 PM
Doulble Receptacle Grounding Question/ Switch Grounding Michael Roback Home Repair 1 September 7th 03 07:37 AM
Grounding Rod *and* Rebar for service grounds? Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 04:13 PM