Timo

Default tips and tricks for building a frame using PVC?

I'm trying to build a bike rack from SCH40 PVC 1" tubes and would appreciate
learning any tips and tricks on how to work with this material. I've
mastered how to make a clean cut with the tube cutting tool but am having a
very difficult time putting the frame together. I've started to do a "dry
run" without glue and am discovering that the tube pieces often don't go
into the t-connectors or elbows as far as they need to go in order to square
the frame; it's also very difficult to get some of the shortest pieces of
tube ( 1.75") out of the connectors after they've been inserted during the
dry run. What are the best techniques for assembling a frame made from PVC?
Is there some sort of lubricant that is compatible with the PVC cement?
Should I be sandpapering the tube-ends? Heating the connectors and elbows
with a hair dryer to make them expand? Suggestions appreciated!
Thanks
Timo

Greg

You can use silicone spray if you want them to come apart but be sure to get it
all off before you start the glue process. Use the primer.
I wouldn't use that can of primer later for plumbing since I am not sure what
silicone does to it. In your application you don't care if they would leak,
just that they stay together.
Greg

These guys have some handy stuff
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/pvc.shtml

SQLit

"Timo" wrote in message
[...]

Depending on where you live the sun will bake the plastic making it unusable
as intended in a few years. Painting it will prolong the problem. Plastic is
not an good material for use exposed to the sun. Besides the rack will
probably weight less than the bike.

---