Rein

Default garage door binding/sticking, but where ?

I have a garage door that is about 6 years old. Attached to a genie
opener and it's been working pretty good (2car). Last couple of months
it has been as if it is binding/sticking somewhere 1/3 of the way
down. Sometimes the opener thinks something is blocking it and
reverses the door to open it again. I press the remote again and it
then closes but I do see it has a problem about 1/3 of the way down
(like something is blocking, then releases it at a certain point). I
disconnected the opener from the door and manually moved the door up
and down to see where it is sticking/rubbing/binding/?? For the life
of me I can't seem to find WHERE it is sticking on or rubbing on. All
the hinges seem fine, I lubes them to make sure. so far no luck. It's
driving me crazy, It seems like it such a small little thing that is
blocking it but I can't find where. Any tips to check ?

frank roarty

http://home.comcast.net/~froarty572/openfaq.htm
Sticking is commonly cause by improper mounting of door track to
surface not flush with jamb. test for this in down position and see if
any points along mating surface refuse to move in and out under
moderate hand presure. door trim is installed to bind slightly near
bottom to prevent damage if door is closed rapidly so ignore this if
visibly caused by trim. If builder uses 2x4 jamb the mounting leg for
vertical track may end up laged into a "sister" stud that is not flush
with jamb. this will cause distance between mating door surface and
jamb to vary along the travel. proper solution is to use 2x6 jambs but
this will not be feasible after construction therefore use 8 penny
nail or lg drywall screw between mounting foot and jamb to equalize
distance. be sure to retighten mounting bolt after insertion of
"spacer".

When you test for sticking - pull down on emergency release and then
grab the attached arm and exert force from this end of door. the test
you performed using the door handle is not the same resistance felt by
opener. the difference is dramatic, very often the act of pulling down
on the bottom section will mask a door stick caused by door bottom
driving itself into door jamb if clearance is too shallow. other
sticking issues are caused by track mounting not flush with jamb but
you should have been able to see this visibly and correct with spacers
under track feet. good troubleshooting method however is to loosen
bottom 2 track feet on vertical rail and experiment with slop
provided. With door almost closed and hand on handle you should be
able to shift door side to side slightly if slop is set correctly-
carefull though -too much and rollers can escape. final possible cause
is vertical track is "stuck" on rough cement floor and is ignoring
your adjustments on feet. this is actually quite common and just
repaired one of these today. take a hammer and a blunt item that fits
inside track then hammer object to free the stick -even an 1/8 inch
will make a big difference if this is your culprit. one last item
about sticking and then off my soapbox. never paint a door unless you
have time and temperature to let it dry before closing- the paint will
transfer to vinyl sweep on door trim and effectively become a break!
Randy

Rein wrote:
I have a garage door that is about 6 years old. Attached to a genie
opener and it's been working pretty good (2car). Last couple of months
it has been as if it is binding/sticking somewhere 1/3 of the way
down. Sometimes the opener thinks something is blocking it and
reverses the door to open it again. I press the remote again and it
then closes but I do see it has a problem about 1/3 of the way down
(like something is blocking, then releases it at a certain point). I
disconnected the opener from the door and manually moved the door up
and down to see where it is sticking/rubbing/binding/?? For the life
of me I can't seem to find WHERE it is sticking on or rubbing on. All
the hinges seem fine, I lubes them to make sure. so far no luck. It's
driving me crazy, It seems like it such a small little thing that is
blocking it but I can't find where. Any tips to check ?

If you don't detect binding when you move the door by hand, then it's probably
not binding. It's more likely that your opener is having a problem. Just make
sure that you move the door by hand in the same direction that it's 'binding'
when you use the opener.

Does the binding occur when the door opens or closes or both? If at closing,
there's probably a small obstacle that's falling in front of the electric eye at
the base of the door, perhaps a leaf that's dangling from a spider web. If at
opening and closing, it's probably an adjustment of the sensitivity screw on the
opener. If at opening only, I'd check for a possible obstruction (e.g. screw,
bolt) that's sticking into the path of the wheels or a door panel as it bends or
straightens.

In any case, I'd take this opportunity to do some general preventive maintenance
on the doors -- lube the wheels (with oil), check the springs and tension cables
(because they can be obstructed too).

Randy
Rich

"If at closing, there's probably a small obstacle
that's falling in front of the electric eye at
the base of the door, perhaps a leaf that'
s dangling from a spider web."

I've been called out to hundreds of similar troublecalls that was the result
of the homeowners failure to remove the pull down rope whcih blocked the
electric-eye just enough to reverse the unit.

Have you checked to see if the door is coming down level? Unbalanced doors
might "bind" when operated electrically but act fine when pulled down
manually.

Rich
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

"Randy" wrote in message
Rein wrote:
[...]

Doordoc

Rein wrote in message . ..
I have a garage door that is about 6 years old. Attached to a genie
opener and it's been working pretty good (2car). Last couple of months
it has been as if it is binding/sticking somewhere 1/3 of the way
down. Sometimes the opener thinks something is blocking it and
reverses the door to open it again. I press the remote again and it
then closes but I do see it has a problem about 1/3 of the way down
(like something is blocking, then releases it at a certain point). I
disconnected the opener from the door and manually moved the door up
and down to see where it is sticking/rubbing/binding/?? For the life
of me I can't seem to find WHERE it is sticking on or rubbing on. All
the hinges seem fine, I lubes them to make sure. so far no luck. It's
driving me crazy, It seems like it such a small little thing that is
blocking it but I can't find where. Any tips to check ?

Is it a Genie screw drive w/ a 3-piece rail? If so I would suspect the
opener carriage is binding at the splice & you would want to make sure
the splice collars on the worm screw haven't dislodged or have been
broken.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
Rein

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:25:42 -0700, Rein
wrote:

I have a garage door that is about 6 years old. Attached to a genie
opener and it's been working pretty good (2car). Last couple of months
it has been as if it is binding/sticking somewhere 1/3 of the way
down. Sometimes the opener thinks something is blocking it and
reverses the door to open it again. I press the remote again and it
then closes but I do see it has a problem about 1/3 of the way down
(like something is blocking, then releases it at a certain point). I
disconnected the opener from the door and manually moved the door up
and down to see where it is sticking/rubbing/binding/?? For the life
of me I can't seem to find WHERE it is sticking on or rubbing on. All
the hinges seem fine, I lubes them to make sure. so far no luck. It's
driving me crazy, It seems like it such a small little thing that is
blocking it but I can't find where. Any tips to check ?

okay, more clarification, it only does it when going down. it also
binds when disconnected from the opener.
I did notice that on the reels that the metal wire goes over, on left
wheel the wire is not in the little guide that guides the wire on the
beginning of the reel but it is on the right side wheel. theoretically
this could cause it to close uneven and somehow bind. would this
little difference be enough to cause that ???
Kevin Ricks

"Rein" wrote in message
I have a garage door that is about 6 years old. Attached to a genie
opener and it's been working pretty good (2car). Last couple of months
it has been as if it is binding/sticking somewhere 1/3 of the way
down. Sometimes the opener thinks something is blocking it and
reverses the door to open it again. I press the remote again and it
then closes but I do see it has a problem about 1/3 of the way down
(like something is blocking, then releases it at a certain point). I
disconnected the opener from the door and manually moved the door up
and down to see where it is sticking/rubbing/binding/?? For the life
of me I can't seem to find WHERE it is sticking on or rubbing on. All
the hinges seem fine, I lubes them to make sure. so far no luck. It's
driving me crazy, It seems like it such a small little thing that is
blocking it but I can't find where. Any tips to check ?

My door was doing something similar to that. I was binding and revering on
the way down but not going up- worse in colder temps. My door opening is
not square it jogs down 45 deg. at the tops down to the sides.

/''''\
|__|

I found that my door was binding on the outside of door against the stucco
on the 45 deg sections. I fixed it by loosening bolts on the tracks and
making adjustments.
Kevin

Rich

Yes, it would cause it to bind. Get that cable back onto the pulley. Take
a close look to see that the cable hasn't cut partially through the bolt
that mounts the pulley to the track.

wrote:

[...]

Rein

wrote:

I have a garage door that is about 6 years old. Attached to a genie
opener and it's been working pretty good (2car). Last couple of months
it has been as if it is binding/sticking somewhere 1/3 of the way
down. Sometimes the opener thinks something is blocking it and
reverses the door to open it again. I press the remote again and it
then closes but I do see it has a problem about 1/3 of the way down
(like something is blocking, then releases it at a certain point). I
disconnected the opener from the door and manually moved the door up
and down to see where it is sticking/rubbing/binding/?? For the life
of me I can't seem to find WHERE it is sticking on or rubbing on. All
the hinges seem fine, I lubes them to make sure. so far no luck. It's
driving me crazy, It seems like it such a small little thing that is
blocking it but I can't find where. Any tips to check ?

Thanks to all who replied. I took an even closer look to the door and
fixed it !
I first put the entire steel wire back on the spool on one side. It
was partially off the spool (only a little bit). This did not fix it.
Then I looked at the 2 wheels that the wires are wound up on. It
turned out one of the wheels was rubbing against the side of the metal
plate the axle is mounted in !! I opened the garage door all the way
up as far as possible. This way there was no tension on the
wires/spring. I loosened the two bolts that hold the wheel onto the
axle and moved the wheel a tiny little bit inwards, away from he metal
plate. I retightened the two bolts, closed the door and the binding is
completely gone !! woohoo.

Michael Baugh

Sounds like you have a torsion spring.
Those can be very dangerous. Be extremely careful,
don't get hurried or distracted.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Rein, Bturk-WI wrote:
I have been having similar issues with my door but it is 10 yrs old with a 1
yr old opener. The friction is not an obvious obstruction and did get better
for a couple days after I re-lubed the hinges and rollers. Turns out the
bearing are going bad in a couple rollers which causes enough resistance that
it sets off the down pressure safety reverse . I replaced all the rollers
(only about $20) my self and no more problems. Nylon rollers are a good option
if you like a more quiet door operation.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...re-549755-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 1:44:21 PM UTC-5, Bturk-WI wrote:
replying to Rein, Bturk-WI wrote:
I have been having similar issues with my door but it is 10 yrs old with a 1
yr old opener. The friction is not an obvious obstruction and did get better
for a couple days after I re-lubed the hinges and rollers. Turns out the
bearing are going bad in a couple rollers which causes enough resistance that
it sets off the down pressure safety reverse . I replaced all the rollers
(only about $20) my self and no more problems. Nylon rollers are a good option
if you like a more quiet door operation.

Rein has been holding his breath for 14 years waiting for your post. Thanks to you, he didn't suffocate. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ancient Monster