Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Good mem's razor?

I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 10:00 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

Are you using the disposables? They don't last long.

A while back I get a free Schick Hydro5 razor. Worked so well that I
use it all the time now.

My beard is not all that heavy and I don't shave every day. What works
for me is to wet it and soap it at the sink. Then, in the shower I
start by washing hear, then lather up and shave using a plastic mirror
in the shower. The beard is softened up and shaving is slick and easy.
I get many shaves out of a blade.

If you are the kind of guy that has 5 o'clock shadow at noon, nothing is
going to last long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I gave up on shaving years ago. My white beard reaches my solar plexus. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 5/26/2018 10:00 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable
(less than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the
multiple packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two
shaves. Do the old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I
used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

Are you using the disposables? They don't last long.

So I'm finding out. Seems like they used to last longer a year or so ago.

A while back I get a free Schick Hydro5 razor. Worked so well that I
use it all the time now.

I think I tried that but not sure. I'll get another when I go to Walmart
today.

My beard is not all that heavy and I don't shave every day. What
works for me is to wet it and soap it at the sink. Then, in the
shower I start by washing hear, then lather up and shave using a
plastic mirror in the shower. The beard is softened up and shaving is
slick and easy. I get many shaves out of a blade.

If you are the kind of guy that has 5 o'clock shadow at noon, nothing
is going to last long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 9:00:13 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable
(less than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the
multiple packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two
shaves. Do the old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I
used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA
--

I gave up on shaving years ago. My white beard reaches my solar
plexus. ^_^

I've thought about doing that for several years now. May finally do so.

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 May 2018 14:00:08 GMT, KenK wrote:

I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

I use a high quality, carbon steel straight razor with conditioner
instead of shaving cream. I sharpen the razor with a leather strop. I
have not had to buy razor blades in many years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 10:00 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

Ever since being put on blood thinners 20 years ago I've been shaving
with an electric razor and like Norelco type heads versus screen type.
The screens may not catch a hair and it is even harder if they grow
longer. I have a cheap battery operated screen for when I travel and it
is OK for brief periods. You should be able to find an electric Norelco
type razor for less than $100. I never buy new heads and think I have
run through 3 Norelco's over the 20 year period and I shave every day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 3:52 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

The trick to getting a close shave with an electric is to use a
pre-electric such as Williams Lectric Shave. Because the least amount
of moisture on your skin creates enough drag that you'll get razor burn
if you scrub to try to get a close shave, the lotion contains alcohol to
dry your skin and silicone to lubricate the surface of your skin and the
screen of the electric blades. I use a Philips Norelco AT810 which
costs substantially less than $100 and gives me almost a month's use on
one charge. The electric plus the pre-electric lotion will also end up
costing you a lot less than razor blades and shaving cream.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Probably

Suggestions?

Straight razor. Easy to use, last for decades. That, a hard Arkansas stone
and a strop and you are good for the rest of your life. I have been susing
mine since the 50s. I have two razors, use them alternately
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"None" wrote in message
On 26 May 2018 14:00:08 GMT, KenK wrote:

I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

I use a high quality, carbon steel straight razor with conditioner
instead of shaving cream. I sharpen the razor with a leather strop. I
have not had to buy razor blades in many years.

Unless you are charging the strop with an abrasive compound, they do not
sharpen, merely form the edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 11:20:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote in
:

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 9:00:13 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable
(less than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the
multiple packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two
shaves. Do the old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I
used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA
--

I gave up on shaving years ago. My white beard reaches my solar
plexus. ^_^

I've thought about doing that for several years now. May finally do so.

If I need a snack I dig in my beard for food that gets stuck in it. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 11:31:57 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 26 May 2018 09:20:02a, KenK told us...

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 9:00:13 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a
reasonable (less than $100) electric that gives a good shave.
Been using the multiple packages of Gillette's but they're only
good for one or two shaves. Do the old double-edges razors still
exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA
--
I gave up on shaving years ago. My white beard reaches my solar
plexus. ^_^

How about your lunar plexus?
--

That would be my butt(moon) crack. My beard isn't that long yet. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

Interesting you brought this up. I was just doing a test myself. Of course
this is another subjective opinion...

No electric razor will match a blade. The "screen" is like a spacer, while a
blade is directly against the skin.

The blade manufacturers all use the same steel. I was told this by a knife
dealer whom did extensive research. He also sells straight razors, which he
does not use. He also sells double edge razors. Gillette 'Blue Blade' is
what my father always used... Bottom line; they could use better steel but
would not sell as many blades which would lead to less profit over time.

I tried a Harry's and am not convinced it's better. Caution: Their shave
cream/gel smells very strong - which I can't stand. I think the blades are
mounted too closely together and catch whiskers which cannot be rinsed out
and one must run their thumb down the blades to clear the debris. I thought
it irritated my skin when done. I just saw a Wallymart ad and they are
selling the line of products.

I like the Mach 3 the best. I don't think the 5 blade Fusion is any better.

I tried a Schick blade years ago and did not like it. May be better now...

I do not shave every day and when I do I use this shave gel stuff I got at
the barber shop. Works great and low odor.

When they shave my head they use this gel and a disposable razor. I don't
recall if I have ever used a disposable razor.

Bottom line: DAGS and see if you can get coupons or trial razors. You may
like something I don't which is fine. Please report back as to your
findings.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 3:42 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
KenK posted for all of us...

I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. ...
... Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? ...

When Schick quit making the two-blade cartridge for the variety I had
used for (probably close to 20) years and all there is now are gew-gaw
$20/cartridge monstrously-huge-handled and bulky things it seems, I
thought to just get the old double-edge handle out and disappointedly,
apparently it had gotten tossed at some time...so I bought a used one on
eBay for about $5 w/ free shipping and have been using it for about
three years now. It was difficult in small town to find blades for a
while except for the really inexpensive Dollar General ones which are
sharp-enough but just don't last more than a few shaves...with the
apparently fairly widespread revolt over the state of razors,
Wally-World has begun carrying the Wilkinson blades. Contrary to what
somebody else said, clearly all the blades are _not_ the same; the
Wilkinson will easily last a week, even on the wire-for-sideburns...

My choice, hands down for quick, simple and inexpensive.

My hands aren't steady enough/eyes good enough any more for the straight
razor...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 3:37 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

ROFLOL! I nearly spit out my drink I just took a sip of!! LOL

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 4:35:43 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I've been told for many years that I'm incorrigible but no women have slapped me lately. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Slaphappy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 May 2018 16:07:44 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

"None" wrote in message
.. .
On 26 May 2018 14:00:08 GMT, KenK wrote:

I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

I use a high quality, carbon steel straight razor with conditioner
instead of shaving cream. I sharpen the razor with a leather strop. I
have not had to buy razor blades in many years.

Unless you are charging the strop with an abrasive compound, they do not
sharpen, merely form the edge.

There is a lot more to the proper care and feeding of a good straight
razor.

Mine is made from Damascus steel and could shave the fur off the
buffalo on a nickel, then shave the buffalo off the nickel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 May 2018 14:00:08 GMT, KenK wrote:

Do the old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Yes. Wife bought me one on Ebay. After that she stole it form me
before I got to use it. Really!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 4:02 PM, Peter wrote:
[...]

I don't use lotion and never had a problem. I'm curious enough to try
it. My Norelco sits in a charging station and battery lifetime is
usually razor lifetime. If you have a degree in electrical engineering
you can replace it. In that respect it is like my Braun toothbrush. I
still have that 20 year old corded Norelco which still works.

With the new battery Norelco's you could shave in the shower if you wanted.

I had a hospital roommate once that cut himself when his double edged
old style blade broke in the razor and cut him. He got infected and was
allergic to penicillin and had to be hospitalized. I don't even let a
barber touch me with a razor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 4:40 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

haha Of course your incorrigible! Quite unexpected, too. Good sense
of humor. Thanks for the laugh!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a hospital roommate once that cut himself when his double edged
old style blade broke in the razor and cut him. He got infected and was
allergic to penicillin and had to be hospitalized. I don't even let a
barber touch me with a razor.

I've used an old-school Trak-2 since I started shaving regularly -
about 45 years ago .. stock-up on name-brand blades -
when they are on sale .. or occasionally drug-store blades
never dollar store blades
I've never had a problem with comfort or durability.
... shave gel - any brand that is on sale.
A few times, when travelling - I tried Bic disposable -
OK for 2 or 3 shaves .. hence disposable ..
for me a Trak-2 blade or quality no-name will last
10 - 15 shaves.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a high quality, carbon steel straight razor with conditioner
instead of shaving cream. I sharpen the razor with a leather strop. I
have not had to buy razor blades in many years.

Unless you are charging the strop with an abrasive compound, they do not
sharpen, merely form the edge.

Straight razor. Easy to use, last for decades.
That, a hard Arkansas stone and a strop and you are good
for the rest of your life. I have been susing mine since the 50s.
I have two razors, use them alternately

There is a lot more to the proper care and feeding of a good straight
razor.
Mine is made from Damascus steel and could shave the fur off the
buffalo on a nickel, then shave the buffalo off the nickel.

OOoohhh hard Arkansas stone ... mmm
... love the feel of that Damascus steel ! Yummy !
When you manly-men finish your religious sharpening rituals
and finish shaving your friggin' legs ..
maybe we'll get some work done eh ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 9:40:12 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I always wondered why women ran away from me screaming until I figured out it was the drooling and the crazy eyes. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Slobbering Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 10:48 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

yeah that'll do it! haha

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 9:00 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

I am still using a Gilette Sensor that I have had for at
least 20 years. The blades are, in my opinion, rather high
priced, but they last me for a couple of months. I shave
every day. The next time I need to buy blades, probably
the end of this year or the first of next year, I am going
to look at the economics of changing to a newer razor.
That means comparing the prices of the blades.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 8:33:54 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
On 5/26/2018 9:00 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

I am still using a Gilette Sensor that I have had for at
least 20 years. The blades are, in my opinion, rather high
priced, but they last me for a couple of months. I shave
every day. The next time I need to buy blades, probably
the end of this year or the first of next year, I am going
to look at the economics of changing to a newer razor.
That means comparing the prices of the blades.

Bill

I don't think I've shaved in this century. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/18 4:42 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
KenK posted for all of us...

I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

The blade manufacturers all use the same steel. I was told this by a knife
dealer whom did extensive research. He also sells straight razors, which he
does not use. He also sells double edge razors. Gillette 'Blue Blade' is
what my father always used... Bottom line; they could use better steel but
would not sell as many blades which would lead to less profit over time.

It's worse than that. They introduce the latest/greatest blade which
everyone tries and loves because it's so good, After a time, the company
begins to degrade the blade quality so it wears out sooner and you have
to buy them more often.

How do I know this? First hand experience.

Back in the early 60's, one of the big companies introduced one of the
first stainless steel double-edge blades and mailed a sample blade in a
sturdy package to most every address. I worked in the post office back
then and was involved in this distribution.

The company also supplied a large carton of the blades to each post
office for the mailmen to grab a handful so they wouldn't filch the ones
that were supposed to be delivered.

These blades were great- sharp, smooth, and they lasted a long time. So
I switched over to them and bought them for a few years- not noticing
that the ones I was buying weren't as good as the ones the company gave
the mailmen a few years back.

As it turned out, a few of the sample blades I had had found their way
into hiding at the back of the bathroom drawer where they sat unseen for
few years. When I eventually spotted them, I started using them instead
of the current production ones I had purchased. The difference was day
and night- sharper, more comfortable, longer-lasting.

I switched back and forth a few times and the performance difference
held up so I know it wasn't just sample to sample manufacturing variation.

Lesson learned? When a latest and greatest new consumable product hits
the market and you love it, buy up a bunch and store them away!

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 11:55 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I heard one and applied it to a friend this morning. I told him that I
understood that he dated a lot of bisexual women. They would start
dating and eventually he would bring up sex, and they said, "Bye."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 9:00 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

I am still using a Gilette Sensor that I have had for at
least 20 years. The blades are, in my opinion, rather high
priced, but they last me for a couple of months. I shave
every day. The next time I need to buy blades, probably
the end of this year or the first of next year, I am going
to look at the economics of changing to a newer razor.
That means comparing the prices of the blades.

Bill

I don't think I've shaved in this century. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster

I went through all the facial hair stages a long while back. If you
have a neatly trimmed beard or mustache I found you had to spend a lot
more time fussing with it than if you just shaved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 9:00 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Neatly trimmed my fuzzy butt. Mine grows wild. People call me Yeti. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Abominable Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sat 26 May 2018 09:20:02a, KenK told us...

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 9:00:13 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a
reasonable (less than $100) electric that gives a good shave.
Been using the multiple packages of Gillette's but they're only
good for one or two shaves. Do the old double-edges razors still
exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA
--Â*
I gave up on shaving years ago. My white beard reaches my solar
plexus. ^_^

How about your lunar plexus?
--Â*
That would be my butt(moon) crack. My beard isn't that long yet. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster

ROFLOL!Â* I nearly spit out my drink I just took a sip of!! LOL
--Â*
Maggie

I've been told for many years that I'm incorrigible but no women
have slapped me lately. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Slaphappy Monster

hahaÂ* Of course your incorrigible!Â* Quite unexpected, too.Â* Good sense
of humor. Thanks for the laugh!
--Â*
Maggie

I always wondered why women ran away from me screaming until I
figured out it was the drooling and the crazy eyes. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Slobbering Monster

yeahÂ* that'll do it! haha

I heard one and applied it to a friend this morning.Â* I told him that I
understood that he dated a lot of bisexual women.Â* They would start
dating and eventually he would bring up sex, and they said, "Bye."

lol

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 9:00 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable
(less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves.
Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades
ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

I am still using a Gilette Sensor that I have had for at
least 20 years.Â* The blades are, in my opinion, rather high
priced, but they last me for a couple of months.Â* I shave
every day.Â* The next time I need to buy blades, probably
the end of this year or the first of next year, I am going
to look at the economics of changing to a newer razor.
That means comparing the prices of the blades.

Bill

I don't think I've shaved in this century. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster

I went through all the facial hair stages a long while back.Â* If you
have a neatly trimmed beard or mustache I found you had to spend a lot
more time fussing with it than if you just shaved.

That has been my impression too. A beard is just too much work.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 9:00 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

I had a young lady ask me how long I'd been growing my beard. I answered, I haven't, it grows all by itself. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 May 2018, Frank "frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

I went through all the facial hair stages a long while back. If
you have a neatly trimmed beard or mustache I found you had to
spend a lot more time fussing with it than if you just shaved.

That's not my experience. I feel that with a beard I can get away with
not trimming it or shaving around it for a few or several days. It can
be a little scruffy and still look OK. If I'm clean-shaven and let it
go for a day or two, it just looks sloppy.

I've been buying disposable double-blade razors in, like, 20- or 50-
packs from Costco or BJs. Each razor lasts a week or so, then I toss
it. It's still way cheaper than cartridge razors. Never liked electric
razors. They never seemed to shave close enough. Besides, I kind of
like the ritual of lathering up over a sink of hot water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 10:00 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to find a good nen's razor. Gave up finding a reasonable (less
than $100) electric that gives a good shave. Been using the multiple
packages of Gillette's but they're only good for one or two shaves. Do the
old double-edges razors still exist? Still work? I used them decades ago.

Suggestions?

TIA

https://leafshave.com/

Make Easy Money ( MEM ) Morris Dovey Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 August 21st 08 10:31 PM
Mem Upgrade of a Gericom Overdose II XXL Mod. S3100S (SiS630, PIII800MHz) markus wolfgart Electronics Repair 1 May 26th 07 02:45 AM
USB Mem stick / pen Fred Electronics Repair 5 June 26th 06 06:51 AM
MEM Gridwwitch 8000 IMM UK diy 71 December 10th 03 05:29 PM
ATT; Hobbyists and Repairmen I have accumulated a room of ICS, Transistors, Diodes , Mem Chips , Proms etc Kristy Electronics Repair 1 December 8th 03 04:06 AM