Frank

Default After fifteen minutes, Kohler toilet water tank keeps overflowing.

I have a 1.6 liter per flush Kohler toilet - about five years old. This is
my problem. After I flush, all goes well. The water tank fills up and stops
filling as it's supposed too. This about fifteen minutes later, however, the
water tank slightly overfills and thus begins to pour into the overfull
hole. This is very gradual. I put a new flapper on it and it is not leaking.
Seems like the float level is OK as well because it stops short of overflow
when toilet is initially flushed.

What is causing the slow overfilling of the water tank and how can I fix it?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Frank

Speedy Jim

Frank wrote:

I have a 1.6 liter per flush Kohler toilet - about five years old. This is
my problem. After I flush, all goes well. The water tank fills up and stops
filling as it's supposed too. This about fifteen minutes later, however, the
water tank slightly overfills and thus begins to pour into the overfull
hole. This is very gradual. I put a new flapper on it and it is not leaking.
Seems like the float level is OK as well because it stops short of overflow
when toilet is initially flushed.

What is causing the slow overfilling of the water tank and how can I fix it?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Frank

You may have exceptionally high water pressure, or the "seal"
(special rubber washer) in the ballcock may be at end of life.
IIRC, Kohler used the Fluid Master ballcock:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/usa.html

If it looks like that, replace the seal.

Jim
Travis Jordan

Frank wrote:
I have a 1.6 liter per flush Kohler toilet - about five years old.
This is my problem. After I flush, all goes well. The water tank
fills up and stops filling as it's supposed too. This about fifteen
minutes later, however, the water tank slightly overfills and thus
begins to pour into the overfull hole. This is very gradual. I put a
new flapper on it and it is not leaking. Seems like the float level
is OK as well because it stops short of overflow when toilet is
initially flushed.

What is causing the slow overfilling of the water tank and how can I
fix it?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Frank

Bad fill valve. You may be able to replace the internal valve parts, or
just replace the whole thing.

Art

If it is Fluidmaster, you can turn off the water, twist the top half off and
turn on the water to try to clean it out. They also sell some replacemnet
parts if you don't want to replace the whole thing.

Frank wrote:

I have a 1.6 liter per flush Kohler toilet - about five years old. This is
my problem. After I flush, all goes well. The water tank fills up and stops
filling as it's supposed too. This about fifteen minutes later, however, the
water tank slightly overfills and thus begins to pour into the overfull
hole. This is very gradual. I put a new flapper on it and it is not leaking.
Seems like the float level is OK as well because it stops short of overflow
when toilet is initially flushed.

What is causing the slow overfilling of the water tank and how can I fix it?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Frank

you might also want to check the float ball to make sure its still
floating.. on one of my old toilets the ball was full of water and heavy
as hell and would sink down and not turn the water off as it would not
float all the way to the top of the water....

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM