Ray Jenkins

Default Replacing microwave? ? ?

I need to replace my 8-year-old Maytag over-the-stove microwave.

I can get a new Maytag at Home Depot at a good price, but they don't
install. Is this something I can do, or should I seek a professional, and if
so, how much can I expect to pay?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message
I need to replace my 8-year-old Maytag over-the-stove microwave.

I can get a new Maytag at Home Depot at a good price, but they don't
install. Is this something I can do, or should I seek a professional, and

if
so, how much can I expect to pay?

I've done it twice so far. You may get lucky and have the same mounting
bracket as the old model, but who knows, they change stuff all the time.

You already have electricity so the biggest problem is solved. Move the
stove out of the way. You don't want to be lifting the mw and injure your
back. In most cases, you need a screwdriver, drill, hammer, maybe a wrench
or two. You can probably find the instructions on the Maytag web page to
see what is involved.

Another option is to go to a real appliance store. Most have delivery and
installation at reasonable cost. You may also find the price is about the
same as the big stores. My local dealer is a member of a co-op (Brand
Source) and the prices are within $10 of the big store. Locally, I get
personal service. Bought a washing machine at 11:00 AM on a Saturday and it
was delivered and hooked up by 3:00 PM. Will Home Depot do that? Sears?
Ed

Colbyt

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message
I need to replace my 8-year-old Maytag over-the-stove microwave.

I can get a new Maytag at Home Depot at a good price, but they don't
install. Is this something I can do, or should I seek a professional, and

if
so, how much can I expect to pay?

If you are reasonably handy and the new unit is the same width you should be
fine. You will need a drill, bits, screwdrivers and helper to help lift.

All the units I have seen hang on a metal ledger strip (or two) that you
attach to the wall and two screws secure the unit to the mounting plates.
Just make sure you hit at least two studs when you mount the ledger strip.
This might mean drilling a couple of holes in the mounting bracket.

Buy the unit, take it home and really read the instructions, or at least
look at the pictures ) before you start.

Just curious, what killed an 8 year old one?

Colbyt

jeff

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message news:QvKWc.15$RQ4.13@trnddc09...
Hi,

I need to replace my 8-year-old Maytag over-the-stove microwave.

I can get a new Maytag at Home Depot at a good price,

but they don't
install.

Is this something I can do

Usually yes, esp since an old one is there now....but we -really-
don't know your skill level....most OTR microwaves come with detailed
instructions!
http://www.applianceaid.com/otr1.html
An example of an install.

or should I seek a professional, and if
so, how much can I expect to pay?

In my area, $75-100 ( Canadian ) is common.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/