Chris Lewis

Default Disable leg of gang-trip smoke detectors

Situation: Found out that the home builder had put in AC smoke detectors
that weren't gang-trip. I installed new gang-trip ones, and decided to
put another in the detached garage.

Gang-trip 3-wire type (hot, neutral and trigger).

Occasionally, work in the garage (soldering something, starting the lawn
tractor etc) will set off the garage alarm which immediately fires up
the others... Annoys the rest of the family no end.

Suboptimal.

Been thinking of putting a switch into the garage alarm's supply feed.

Ideally, it'd be a normally-closed timer that when "enabled", it'd
disable the garage alarm and gang trip feeding the other alarms until
the timer ran out.

Has anybody else done something like this? Suggestions?

I could put a double-pole switch in (to cut the hot and neutral), or
even a single-pole (just cutting the hot should work), but these
are battery backup units, so I suspect that wouldn't work...

So maybe the best I can do is disable the gang-trip with a switch.
Are there any cheap "normally closed" mechanical timers?
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
John Grabowski

Chris, In a situation such as this I would put a heat detector in the garage
connected to the smoke alarms. That would eliminate the nuisance alarms
from car exhaust and anything else. You would need to use smoke detectors
that have an auxiliary contact such as the ESL brand by GE. The heat
detector would not have an alarm on it, but if you needed one you could also
connect a remote using a smoke detector with a relay in it.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Joseph Meehan

Chris Lewis wrote:
[...]

John is right. Normally only heat type detectors are put in garages for
that very reason and because the typical fire in a garage will quickly
trigger the heat detector.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Chris Lewis

According to John Grabowski :
Chris, In a situation such as this I would put a heat detector in the garage
connected to the smoke alarms. That would eliminate the nuisance alarms
from car exhaust and anything else. You would need to use smoke detectors
that have an auxiliary contact such as the ESL brand by GE. The heat
detector would not have an alarm on it, but if you needed one you could also
connect a remote using a smoke detector with a relay in it.

How compatible are the gang-trip lines on smoke/heat detectors? I've never
seen a unit that claims to have a "standard" interconnect. The ones
I've looked at insist on only ganging with smoke alarms from the same
manufacturer.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Gel

Basically will work with any other manufacturers, but in case of claim
you could face some arguments as manuals will say only interconnect to
same make.

Kidde in US now do sell competitor interconnect kit, and will warranty
performanceith other makes.