Handy Thumb

Default vaseline on toilet bolts

anybody know if putting vaseline on toilet bolts to inhibit rusting works
or if it's a bad idea?

I'm talking about the bolts that attach to the closet ring and also the
ones that connect the tank to the bowl. had one new bolt (less than a
year old) rust so bad I had to cut it off.

TURTLE

"Handy Thumb" wrote in message
anybody know if putting vaseline on toilet bolts to inhibit rusting works
or if it's a bad idea?

I'm talking about the bolts that attach to the closet ring and also the
ones that connect the tank to the bowl. had one new bolt (less than a
year old) rust so bad I had to cut it off.

This is Turtle.

If you want duriablity. Go down to the Auto Parts house and get you some
Stainless Steel nuts & bolts and put them on there. Then in about 50 years or so
change the thing out and reuse the old bolts.

TURTLE

dadiOH

Handy Thumb wrote:
anybody know if putting vaseline on toilet bolts to inhibit rusting
works or if it's a bad idea?

I always do, have never had to cut one.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Joseph Meehan

Handy Thumb wrote:
anybody know if putting vaseline on toilet bolts to inhibit rusting works
or if it's a bad idea?

I'm talking about the bolts that attach to the closet ring and also the
ones that connect the tank to the bowl. had one new bolt (less than a
year old) rust so bad I had to cut it off.

The idea is good, but Vaseline is not really the right material.

Get some anti-seize material from the auto parts store.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Terry

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Handy Thumb wrote:
anybody know if putting vaseline on toilet bolts to inhibit rusting

works
or if it's a bad idea?

I'm talking about the bolts that attach to the closet ring and also the
ones that connect the tank to the bowl. had one new bolt (less than a
year old) rust so bad I had to cut it off.

We use stainless steel bolts and washers. Two ss bolts etc. don't cost much.
Terry.

Childfree Scott

had one new bolt (less than a year old) rust so bad I had to cut it off.

Try using stainless steel hardware instead.
DangerMan

Another suggestion that's worked for me is to fill the plastic caps
that go over the bolts with plumber's putty. This keeps the caps in
place and prevents water from dripping down from above to rot your
bolts.

On 23 Aug 2004 07:32:33 -0700, (Childfree
Scott) wrote:

had one new bolt (less than a year old) rust so bad I had to cut it off.

Try using stainless steel hardware instead.

Joe Bobst

anybody know if putting vaseline on toilet bolts to inhibit rusting works or
if it's a bad idea?

You may find real brass bolts at a good hardware store. Take a magnet with you
when you shop. HTH

Joe

Conase

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Handy Thumb wrote:
anybody know if putting vaseline on toilet bolts to inhibit rusting

works
or if it's a bad idea?

I'm talking about the bolts that attach to the closet ring and also the
ones that connect the tank to the bowl. had one new bolt (less than a
year old) rust so bad I had to cut it off.

We use stainless steel bolts and washers. Two ss bolts etc. don't cost much.
Terry.

I agree with the SS bolts which I intend to use next time'

Brass ones last only about 2 years before SEVERE CORROSION.

Within another year of so , you need to replace to avoid a potential flood.

As a kid I NEVER remember seeing any of these things replaced on toilets back
in the 40s and 50s.

Has the QUALITY of brass changed since the 40s and 50s and is now corroding as
rapidly as it does ???

I went to the plumbing store last time for BRASS bolts figuring it would be
better than Depot or Lowes, he sold me the SAME ITEM at a higher $$$.

I remember seeing plumbers for replacing WASHERS and maybe an occasional drain,
but not for corroded toilet bolts and such.

Today I find pinholes forming little "crusties" on the outside of BRASS valves
for shutoffs, etc.

TIA
Richard J Kinch

Joseph Meehan writes:

The idea is good, but Vaseline is not really the right material.

Get some anti-seize material from the auto parts store.

Yes, the auto parts people add to the petroleum grease (Vaseline) a pretty
silver color.

Richard J Kinch

Conase writes:

Has the QUALITY of brass changed since the 40s and 50s and is now
corroding as rapidly as it does ???

There are many varieties of brass alloys. Imports don't tend to care much
about using appropriate ones.
Childfree Scott

I agree with the SS bolts which I intend to use next time'

Brass ones last only about 2 years before SEVERE CORROSION.

Within another year of so , you need to replace to avoid a potential flood.

As a kid I NEVER remember seeing any of these things replaced on toilets back
in the 40s and 50s.

Has the QUALITY of brass changed since the 40s and 50s and is now corroding as
rapidly as it does ???

I went to the plumbing store last time for BRASS bolts figuring it would be
better than Depot or Lowes, he sold me the SAME ITEM at a higher $$$.

In my vintage 1950 house the solid brass parts have held up well, but
those are only door knobs. The brass plated stuff looks like crap.
Stainless steel is MUCH better. It's not some crappy plating like
brass that wears off, plus it looks much nicer than brass. I used to
work at a waste water treatment plant along a mildly salty river and
they had stainless steel al over the place and it hold up real well
under bad conditions for a very long time!

I'd also grease the stainless steel bolts that you put in.