Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tuck Pointing or siding

I have a one family 2 story home. The back needs tuck pointing. I have no idea of what is a comfortable price to have it done. Then a friend mentioned to me why not do siding? Now i am torn between the two...never had either done previously. I know location has a lot to do with the price and wouldn't you know it, I live in the most expensive city in the world..NYC ( Brooklyn ). I know I have to pay, but there is a string in me, as I am sure in most of us, that doesn't like to be 'taken' either, mainly through ignorance. I'd like to get a ballpark figure for either and which would be more satisfactory. I believe siding would cover the pointing part. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"novel" wrote in message
I have a one family 2 story home. The back needs tuck pointing. I have no
idea of what is a comfortable price to have it done. Then a friend
mentioned to me why not do siding? Now i am torn between the two...never
had either done previously. I know location has a lot to do with the price
and wouldn't you know it, I live in the most expensive city in the
world..NYC ( Brooklyn ). I know I have to pay, but there is a string in
me, as I am sure in most of us, that doesn't like to be 'taken' either,
mainly through ignorance. I'd like to get a ballpark figure for either and
which would be more satisfactory. I believe siding would cover the
pointing part. Thanks.

Siding over brick. That is disgusting unless the brick is disintegrating,
then siding only hides it while it continues to disintegrate.

Do the same as most people even large corporations, get three or more price
quotes for tuck pointing (and even siding) and then you know the answer and
can make choices. Don't ask for a ballpark, ask for a written price
quotation, and don't ask the internet, only real prices will tell you what
you need. NYC must have dozens of contractors that do this work, look at
jobs they have done. I have seen real neat tuck pointing and I have seen
real sloppy work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:52:37 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"novel" wrote in message
[...]

And if the brick IS deteriorating, a good stucco job may be a better
option than siding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:26:33 AM UTC-5, novel wrote:
I have a one family 2 story home. The back needs tuck pointing. I have no idea of what is a comfortable price to have it done. Then a friend mentioned to me why not do siding? Now i am torn between the two...never had either done previously. I know location has a lot to do with the price and wouldn't you know it, I live in the most expensive city in the world..NYC ( Brooklyn ). I know I have to pay, but there is a string in me, as I am sure in most of us, that doesn't like to be 'taken' either, mainly through ignorance. I'd like to get a ballpark figure for either and which would be more satisfactory. I believe siding would cover the pointing part. Thanks.

What are the other 3 sides of the house, also brick? Would it look funny to just have the back side vinyl siding?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Siding has one big advantage you can add foamboard insulation between the brick and siding... saving big bucks on your heating and cooling bill...

I am 56 when I was around 10 a neighbor sided his brick home, he wanted to save money on property tax. drove by that home last week it still looks good.

although the resale value of a brick home tends to be more

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 1:56:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:26:33 AM UTC-5, novel wrote:

I have a one family 2 story home. The back needs tuck pointing. I have no idea of what is a comfortable price to have it done. Then a friend mentioned to me why not do siding? Now i am torn between the two...never had either done previously. I know location has a lot to do with the price and wouldn't you know it, I live in the most expensive city in the world..NYC ( Brooklyn ). I know I have to pay, but there is a string in me, as I am sure in most of us, that doesn't like to be 'taken' either, mainly through ignorance. I'd like to get a ballpark figure for either and which would be more satisfactory. I believe siding would cover the pointing part. Thanks.

What are the other 3 sides of the house, also brick? Would it look funny to just have the back side vinyl siding?

You would thing so, but here in NJ I see builders putting up new $600K+ houses
with brick fronts and vinyl siding on the rest. Looks dumb and cheap to me.
But it could be worse. My grandfather had an all brick ranch house. When
he sold it, the new owner put up an addition that was white vinyl siding on
all three sides, including the front facing the street. Now that sure looked
like hell.

Tuck pointing a chimney... BlinnPR Home Repair 0 April 25th 08 01:34 AM
Carpet - tuck or no tuck? Actor123 Home Repair 13 July 7th 07 11:05 PM
tuck point sealant cj Home Repair 2 December 10th 05 12:48 PM
Thin Mortar for Tuck Pointing [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 11:56 PM
Tuck-Pointing a Fireplace Pulling from House [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 1st 05 08:37 PM