Claudia

Default Home Gas Water Heater

since I have a 14 yr old water heater that is refusing to die in a manner
that will allow the home warranty to replace it - I have to replace it,
rather than risk inopportune failure.

So I am being told that the Bradford White Defender is the "be all and end
all". But being the cynical person I am - have come here to FOAK to get 2
cents.

50 Gal, gas fired. it is for a 1200 sq ft condo, with 2 baths, only 1
person living here now, can't conceive of EVER more than 2.

Location is a non-issue - in the garage. haven't run out of hot water on
current unit, sediment not withstanding.

so weigh in please.
__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

Claudia

Default Home Gas Water Heater / Tankless

when I asked a couple of weeks ago about tankless, there was only a lukewarm
yuk yuk response. the bid I have to install a new tankless is $1500
minimum + 800 for the unit. so far looking at $700 for the Bradford White
Defender.

Altho I am inclined to the tankless, here in Ventura County the supply
houses and the plumbers are really cold to them. So I had kinda taken it
off the list of options. Now I see that someone else asked today about WH.
__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori
"Claudia" wrote in message
since I have a 14 yr old water heater that is refusing to die in a manner
that will allow the home warranty to replace it - I have to replace it,
rather than risk inopportune failure.

So I am being told that the Bradford White Defender is the "be all and end
all". But being the cynical person I am - have come here to FOAK to get 2
cents.

50 Gal, gas fired. it is for a 1200 sq ft condo, with 2 baths, only 1
person living here now, can't conceive of EVER more than 2.

Location is a non-issue - in the garage. haven't run out of hot water on
current unit, sediment not withstanding.

so weigh in please.
__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

m Ransley

I have a Bosch and wont go back to tank. I payed 6$ last month or gas
that includes cooking and dryer. My electric water heater was 30$, But I
have learned to conserve. Tankless last longer and do not go down in
efficiency with age

Claudia wrote:

since I have a 14 yr old water heater that is refusing to die in a manner
that will allow the home warranty to replace it - I have to replace it,
rather than risk inopportune failure.

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT TO DIE? :-)

Nick

Tom Baker

"Claudia" wrote in message ...
since I have a 14 yr old water heater that is refusing to die in a manner
that will allow the home warranty to replace it - I have to replace it,
rather than risk inopportune failure.

So I am being told that the Bradford White Defender is the "be all and end
all". But being the cynical person I am - have come here to FOAK to get 2
cents.

50 Gal, gas fired. it is for a 1200 sq ft condo, with 2 baths, only 1
person living here now, can't conceive of EVER more than 2.

Location is a non-issue - in the garage. haven't run out of hot water on
current unit, sediment not withstanding.

so weigh in please.
__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

So, have you done a search of this news group?
Tankless water heaters are discussed regularly.
Consumers Reports may have a recent article.
East cooper Habitat for Humanity uses tankless in all its units.
I should think your situation would be appropriate for tankless.
TB

HA HA Budys Here

From: "Claudia"

since I have a 14 yr old water heater that is refusing to die in a manner
that will allow the home warranty to replace it - I have to replace it,
rather than risk inopportune failure.

So I am being told that the Bradford White Defender is the "be all and end
all". But being the cynical person I am - have come here to FOAK to get 2
cents.

50 Gal, gas fired. it is for a 1200 sq ft condo, with 2 baths, only 1
person living here now, can't conceive of EVER more than 2.

Location is a non-issue - in the garage. haven't run out of hot water on
current unit, sediment not withstanding.

so weigh in please.
__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

14 years old and this standard, nothing special, run-of-the-mill WH has served
you flawlessly and w/o complaint. (Minus the complaint that it's given you no
reason to complain.)

Standard WH's are pretty simple, haven't changed much since the 50's. Don't
feel slighted because WH's don't come out with a newer, better model each year,
or because they aren't "new and improved" semi-annually like laundry
detergents.

A 40 or 50 gallon WH, standard or high-recovery will serve you well for another
14 years. At a cost of less then 300.00 (Oftentimes on sale for around 150.00)
and a typical installation cost of about the same, (Which a reasonably
competant DIY-er can do for nothing) that's less than 50 bucks a year for an
appliance one rarely even has to think about.

My coffee percolator costs more than that per year.

Greg O

"Claudia" wrote in message
when I asked a couple of weeks ago about tankless, there was only a

lukewarm
yuk yuk response. the bid I have to install a new tankless is $1500
minimum + 800 for the unit. so far looking at $700 for the Bradford White
Defender.

Altho I am inclined to the tankless, here in Ventura County the supply
houses and the plumbers are really cold to them. So I had kinda taken it
off the list of options. Now I see that someone else asked today about

WH.

Sounds fine to me. Often the more "high tech" the equipment is, the more
money you will spend on repairs over it's life. Stay with a natural draft,
good old standard water heater. It will probably cost you $0 in repairs over
it's life.

I have a customer that has a home where all he can put in is a power vented
heater. We replaced the heater 4 years ago for $1200. Last year the fancy
electronic controlled gas valve died. This year the venter motor decided to
get noisey. The ventor motor comes only as an assembly, price to replace
with labor, $500! He decided he can live with the noise as long as it runs,
then he will replace the heater!

I have a natural draft water heater in my home, 12 years old now. Other than
to flush the sediment every year or two, I have not touched it.

A side on your home warranty. Are you getting your money's worth? If you
took the money you pay in premiums it probably would more than cover any
repairs you need. Also most warranty companies are tough to collect from as
you are finding out. Too much fine print and exclusions in the contract.
If I had to pay someone to repair my HVAC equipment, water heater, and large
appliances, over the 12 years it would have cost me maybe $200. I can't get
insurance that cheap.
Greg

Jeff Cochran

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 05:18:19 GMT, "Claudia"
wrote:

since I have a 14 yr old water heater that is refusing to die in a manner
that will allow the home warranty to replace it - I have to replace it,
rather than risk inopportune failure.

You said it's in the garage, what would be an "inopportune failure"?
If it leaks on the garage floor, is that an issue? If so, you can add
a device that will shut the water off if the water heater leaks.

My point is, if it's working and hasn't died, why replace it?

Jeff
ClaudCar

because there are boxes and a washer in the garage. And as we all know - WH
only fail when one is: 1) out of town; 2) NEEDing a HOT shower; 3) stuff is
strewn on the garage floor for a project or sorting. I believe those are
corrollaries of Murphy's Law. :-0

Actually, the main reason is that I dislike having 50 gals of water
continuously being reheated and standing around, the waste of natural gas.
the tank (as found out from neighbor's heater (same age & complex) failure),
the tank has over 50 lbs of sediment in it. he had just bought unit and did
his routine (for him) annual heater maintenance - and the clean out valve
refused to close or drain the unit - just dribbled.
______________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus
wrote:

since I have a 14 yr old water heater that is refusing to die in a manner
that will allow the home warranty to replace it - I have to replace it,
rather than risk inopportune failure.

You said it's in the garage, what would be an "inopportune failure"?
If it leaks on the garage floor, is that an issue? If so, you can add
a device that will shut the water off if the water heater leaks.

My point is, if it's working and hasn't died, why replace it?

Jeff

ClaudCar

Default Home Gas Water Heater - Follow-Up

have done research on Takagi Tankless and this is what I have found out.
The Bosch units available at Lowe's or HD are the old Takagi TK1s, that
Takagi is no longer making. Older technology, not as well suited for US.

Talked to a plumber who is totally excited and hot (hehe) on the unit. The
others I had talked to, were less than enthusiastic about HAVING to install
them. Even tho it is a trek from his shop to my residence, he is willing to
either do it or find someone who is out my way that he would trust to
install in his own home.
______________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus

m Ransley

Bosch makes their smaller unit 117000 btu which is fine for 1 person.
They have pilotless, battery ignition or mini hydro generator ignition.

The larger unit is a Takagi 188000 btu ? which is for 2 showers running
at once.

Both may require a larger gas line.

I have the 117000 Bosch battery ignition it works great..

Will it vent to a chimney, you dont want to buy the blower kit extra,
if you need a blower order it that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 10, 2004 10:48:19 AM UTC+5:30, Claudia wrote:
since I have a 14 yr old water heater that is refusing to die in a manner
that will allow the home warranty to replace it - I have to replace it,
rather than risk inopportune failure.

So I am being told that the Bradford White Defender is the "be all and end
all". But being the cynical person I am - have come here to FOAK to get 2
cents.

50 Gal, gas fired. it is for a 1200 sq ft condo, with 2 baths, only 1
person living here now, can't conceive of EVER more than 2.

Location is a non-issue - in the garage. haven't run out of hot water on
current unit, sediment not withstanding.

so weigh in please.
__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

Water heaters are a must for cold climates.There are various types of devices as with the market which can be purchased for household uses.One of the very first points to consider when buying the heaters is their energy efficiency feature.Most of the water heater models consume high amounts of power which can drastically increase the electricity bills.So it is imperative that such of appliance get chosen which doesn’t put undue burden on the utility bills of the household.

Using the opportunities for online shopping in India, it is possible to get some of the best bargains on the topmost brands.Go through the catalogs and look at the various types of heaters available.That way, it’ll be possible to pick and choose based on individual preferences, family requirements and budget availability.On the Internet medium it is possible to come across brands and models which may not be present in your local markets.This increases the playing field for getting the ideal product for the money you spend.

Here are some of the types of http://www.naaptol.com/buy/home_-_ki...r_heaters.html water heaters to choose from.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 9:23*am, wrote:
[...]

Here are some of the types ofhttp://www.naaptol.com/buy/home_-_kitchen_appliances/heaters/water_he...water heaters to choose from.

this discussion started in aug 2004, google is so efficent, just think
if the OP replaced their water heater at that time it may be time to
replace it again

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM