HerHusband

Default Need to Move a Shed

I have an 8x12 storage shed (2x4 walls, 1/2" plywood) that I need to move
about 150'. It's currently bolted to a concrete slab, and I would like to
pour a new slab at the new location and set the shed up there.

Unfortunately, the route to the new location is a tough one. Fairly rough
ground, a trip AROUND the house, UP a small hill, and finally pushed about
20' BACKWARDS into place.

The common approaches of using poles or pipes as rollers wouldn't work very
well on the rough ground, going around corners, or up a hill (don't want
the shed to roll downhill into the house!).

I don't own a truck, but will be renting a small tractor to do some yard
work in the next few months. I thought that might supply the "muscle" I
need, but I still have to figure out how to move the shed.

It would be nice if I could just attach some wheels to the shed somehow and
tow it where it needs to go. But, big wheels might cost more than the shed?

My only other option is to disassemble the shed into panels and rebuild it
on the new slab. But, that's a lot more work and expense than I would like,
and not a big savings over just building a new shed.

Any tips for my shed relocation?

Thanks,

Anthony
m Ransley

Solid lawnmower type wheels are cheap and you wont need much life out of
them.

HorneTD

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Hire a roll-off tow truck, roll shed on and roll shed off using pipes
and the two trucks winch. The shed is lighter than the cars that they
usually move.
--
Tom Horne
Bill

Maybe an old car axle and wheels from a wrecking yard or rented
refrigerator hand truck(s) on one end of the shed.

Then use tractor to lift up other end and move???

May need to add a few 2 x 4's on lower inside from side to side to give it
more bracing.

"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

PrecisionMachinisT

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Solid lawnmower type wheels are cheap and you wont need much life out of
them.

Doubtful lawnmower wheels would bear the load--perhaps if a dozen or so of
em could be placed to evenly distribute the weight......

Years ago, I attached a similar shed to a simple skid and dragged mine with
a pickup truck--a tractor probly be better...as theyre geared lower but
still you need to have enough traction and weight to overcome the friction
coefficient of the skids.

As an added bonus, I constructed a 2 ft high wooden perimeter wall around
the new slab, and then set the shed on top of it.....took six strong
guys--did this because the existing design had a *really* low ceiling
height--made a big difference.....no more claustrophobia!!!

--

SVL

tweaked

I used one of those tractors they use to lift drywall and other building
materials up high. Can't think of the name, Gradeall? A four-wheel drive
forklift. Had the whole shed 15 ft in the air. Traverses anything and the
arm extends.Very versatile. Shouldn't cost more than $200 for rental.

HerHusband

I used one of those tractors they use to lift drywall and other
building materials up high. Can't think of the name, Gradeall? A
four-wheel drive forklift. Had the whole shed 15 ft in the air.
Traverses anything and the arm extends.Very versatile. Shouldn't cost
more than $200 for rental.

Thanks for the idea!

Since I'm renting a tractor for yard work anyway, I'll probably just try
attaching the shed to some skids and pulling it with the tractor. If that
doesn't work very well, I'll look into the Gradeall idea.

Thanks!

Anthony
mpdsville

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message ...
"m Ransley" wrote in message
Solid lawnmower type wheels are cheap and you wont need much life out of
them.

Doubtful lawnmower wheels would bear the load--perhaps if a dozen or so of
em could be placed to evenly distribute the weight......

Years ago, I attached a similar shed to a simple skid and dragged mine with
a pickup truck--a tractor probly be better...as theyre geared lower but
still you need to have enough traction and weight to overcome the friction
coefficient of the skids.

As an added bonus, I constructed a 2 ft high wooden perimeter wall around
the new slab, and then set the shed on top of it.....took six strong
guys--did this because the existing design had a *really* low ceiling
height--made a big difference.....no more claustrophobia!!!

Yesterday I went to "Central Tractor Supply" And saw 10" pnumatic tires
mounted on rims. 2 for $9.00 (Wheelbarrow size). You mention you're
planning on having a tractor about anyways.. So my suggestion would be:

Get a pair of wheels (similar to what I saw), A pair of BIG lag screws for
axle pins, and a 4x4x 8.5' . Take these three and create a "one time use"
axle. Using a jack or a neighbor, place your axle under the shed a little
back of its center of balance..(Secure the axle to the structure)..
Instant redneck mobile home. An eye screw on the other end of the shed..

2x8's would serve as a ramp off of the platform...

TIPS:
- Empty the shed prior to moving.
- Hope or determine if the shed is rigid/strong enough to hold its
shape when moved BEFORE moving it
- Do NOT relocate structures alone.. Someone to dial 911 is important.

MPDsville
Jimmie

[...]

Reconsider disassembly and moving. It is not a bad as you may think. You
will need your buddies but the roof can be slid off as one assembly followed
by the walls. Is the floor concrete or is it just on a concrete pad. Once
the roof was off as we moved a wall we went ahead and set it up at the new
location on concrete. The old wood floor was discarded. Roof was slid up on
ramps. Brats and beers go a long way in getting things like this done. Serve
the beer after it is done.

mpdsville

HerHusband wrote in message ...
I used one of those tractors they use to lift drywall and other
building materials up high. Can't think of the name, Gradeall? A
four-wheel drive forklift. Had the whole shed 15 ft in the air.
Traverses anything and the arm extends.Very versatile. Shouldn't cost
more than $200 for rental.

Thanks for the idea!

Since I'm renting a tractor for yard work anyway, I'll probably just try
attaching the shed to some skids and pulling it with the tractor. If that
doesn't work very well, I'll look into the Gradeall idea.

Thanks!

Anthony

I live in a wet area. Skids would tear up my ground/lawn. If your
"terra-firma" is good and "firma", then skids sound right. (2x6's or 8s,
flat side DOWN). Consider wheels if terra-non-firma, consider a rental
whatever if you have $ to blow.
Mike D.

Bill

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 15:29:44 -0000, HerHusband
wrote:

[...]

Hey Anthony!
Why don't you just hire a "roll back wrecker" to back up to your shed,
pull it up on the truck and move it to the new position?

Bill

HerHusband

Why don't you just hire a "roll back wrecker" to back up to your shed,
pull it up on the truck and move it to the new position?

Primarily because the route to the new location is directly over our septic
system. The weight of the shed wouldn't be much of a problem, but driving a
big truck like that over the tank and drainfield would be ill advised.

Thanks,

Anthony
Bill

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:10:51 -0000, HerHusband
wrote:

Why don't you just hire a "roll back wrecker" to back up to your shed,
pull it up on the truck and move it to the new position?

Primarily because the route to the new location is directly over our septic
system. The weight of the shed wouldn't be much of a problem, but driving a
big truck like that over the tank and drainfield would be ill advised.

Thanks,

Anthony

well, if thats the case you could get some thick wide timbers that are
like twenty feet long...lay them across the septic area you are
crossing to distribute the weight across a wider section of the yard
and then drive the wrecker across the timbers...

Bill

Jimmie

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Why don't you just hire a "roll back wrecker" to back up to your shed,
pull it up on the truck and move it to the new position?

Primarily because the route to the new location is directly over our

septic
system. The weight of the shed wouldn't be much of a problem, but driving

big truck like that over the tank and drainfield would be ill advised.

Thanks,

Anthony

Drove by a mobile home sales place today and say a big stack of axles and
wheels by the office, Often they take these off after setting up the
trailer. Perhaps you could rent, borrow, or buy a couple of these to move
it with.

Bond

If you lived near Bay City, Michigan you could rent a special
trailer designed for moving small buildings. It has a 12 foot
axle and can be taken apart to be assembled under the jacked up
building. About two years ago the rental cost for 24 hours was
$35.

Woodland Industries
112 S Huron Road
Kawkawlin Township, Michigan
(989) 686-6176

I have no business connection to them. I have bought boat trailer
repair parts from them. Perhaps a rental company near where you
live could buy the plans or a copy of the trailer.

Bond

[...]

Storage Shed Anchoring? Jeff Morris Home Repair 10 July 6th 04 01:26 PM
Shed Electrics Paul UK diy 15 May 22nd 04 12:48 PM
Shed Fixing PoP UK diy 3 April 16th 04 08:02 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM