Rich

Default Cast iron pipe

What is the best way to cut 6" cast iron sewage pipe?
Would a sawzall tackle this pipe or would an electric abrasive cutter be
better for the job?

Speedy Jim

Rich wrote:

What is the best way to cut 6" cast iron sewage pipe?
Would a sawzall tackle this pipe or would an electric abrasive cutter be
better for the job?

Rent a "snap-cutter" for CI pipe.
If that's not practical for a one-time, I would go for the abrasive
saw blade. Depends if you can get the saw all the way around.
Sawzall works with a good blade *sometimes*. CI is quite variable;
some will cut like butter, others are extra hard and eats blades

Or....do like the old timers: gently make a groove all the way
around the pipe with a chisel, then break it apart:-)

If you use an abrasive saw, wear a good dust mask.

Jim

Yep

It has a chain and wheels where the rolling links would be these score
the pipe but you don't ahve to go all the way around like a tubing
cutter you only have to go back and forth a few degrees and then
tighten some more and repeat until you hear SNAP, you won't miss the
snap, so wear two pair of underware that day and make the oldest pair
the first you put on!! LOL
Good luck, Rich

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Rich wrote:

What is the best way to cut 6" cast iron sewage pipe?
Would a sawzall tackle this pipe or would an electric abrasive
cutter be
better for the job?

Rent a "snap-cutter" for CI pipe.
If that's not practical for a one-time, I would go for the abrasive
saw blade. Depends if you can get the saw all the way around.
Sawzall works with a good blade *sometimes*. CI is quite variable;
some will cut like butter, others are extra hard and eats blades

Or....do like the old timers: gently make a groove all the way
around the pipe with a chisel, then break it apart:-)

If you use an abrasive saw, wear a good dust mask.

Jim

Colbyt

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...
Rich wrote:

What is the best way to cut 6" cast iron sewage pipe?
Would a sawzall tackle this pipe or would an electric abrasive cutter be
better for the job?

Rent a "snap-cutter" for CI pipe.
If that's not practical for a one-time, I would go for the abrasive
saw blade. Depends if you can get the saw all the way around.
Sawzall works with a good blade *sometimes*. CI is quite variable;
some will cut like butter, others are extra hard and eats blades

The last time I went to the rental centers for a snap cutter they looked at
me like I was crazy.

Modern sawsall blade technology has made this item a non stock in my area.

Go to a plumbing supply house and buy the right blade for your sawsall.

I think it has 6 teeth per inch. It is not carbide or ceramic. Looks like a
coarse wood blade but it does the job.

Colbyt

Greg

I used a diamond blade in my 4" Makita grinder. It was more than the 2 or 3
carbide blades you will burn up but it survived for other things and I didn't
smell up the house.
xrongor

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Rich wrote:

What is the best way to cut 6" cast iron sewage pipe?
Would a sawzall tackle this pipe or would an electric abrasive cutter

be
better for the job?

Rent a "snap-cutter" for CI pipe.
If that's not practical for a one-time, I would go for the abrasive
saw blade. Depends if you can get the saw all the way around.
Sawzall works with a good blade *sometimes*. CI is quite variable;
some will cut like butter, others are extra hard and eats blades

The last time I went to the rental centers for a snap cutter they looked

at
me like I was crazy.

next time ask for a ratchet pipe cutter. not that they will have it, but i
think that is a more common name.

randy