Posted to alt.home.repair

Default damage to the undercarriage!

I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 1:56:49 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

Just pump the tires up to 500 PSI like that other poster recommended.
That will solve the tire pressure problem and provide plenty of
undercarriage clearance, preventing damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage?

Run over the kerb most obviously. 4

Other than busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

But can end up a bit ****ed if you run over the kerb at speed.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

See above.

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 04:29:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

No undercarriage could possibly ever be as ****ed as you are, senile Rot!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:56:43 +0300, micky
wrote:

I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".
What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.
What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.
What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?
And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

If you happen to damage the undercarriage - just activate the
collision or comprehensive clause of your insurance -
by hitting a tree or rolling it in the ditch .. or whatever -
- then you'd be fully covered ! No worries !
You're welcome.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Sorry John T to Micky

I have Micky blocked so I did not see the original post.

Hitting something that is laying on the highway like: landscapers toolbox,
mufflers, truck tire treads, rocks, etc.

You could bust a half shaft, ruin a wheel or bearing or bend the tie rods
or...

Micky you are still the same way. You ask a question that you could get a
more accurate answer from another source-like your insurance agent.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

I have never heard them say that. When I buy the insurance they always
tell me, no matter what happens I am covered. You should be since it
is such a rip off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

I have never heard them say that. When I buy the insurance they always
tell me, no matter what happens I am covered. You should be since it
is such a rip off.

That's a good point. I almost never take the insurance and I never read
the fine print, but for what it costs, it really should cover undercarriage
damage too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The insurance definitely doesn't cover the undercarriage. They are
specific and very clear. And there is no limit to how much one can be
charged for damage, though I don't think I did any damage.

One is also not permitted to drive on iirc an unpaved road, and there
are a lot of them here. Today the road started off unpaved but quite
flat, then there were a few ruts caused by water run-off. Then when I
left the park area, it was much worse, where the rain had eventually
washed away all the dirt and only rocks were left. A real challenge to
figure out which side of the road to drive on. I ended up driving 5
miles and almost a mile was just on rocks. It's a amazing the tires
hold up**.

Somehow I didn't know all these rules 2 years ago. Life was better
then. Ignorance is bliss.

It was dark by the time I parked so I haven't looked at even the side of
the car, but I think it's okay.

**I did have a flat last year, but on a very quiet, totally smooth road.
I couldn't figure out how to assemble the lug wrench so it took a longer
time to unbolt and bolt the nuts and after 40 minutes a guy came by when
I was almost done and finished up for me. And I was so tired I let
him.

Last year I also hit a short post, scraped the plastic panel (lower
corner of the front) and I think they only charged me $16***. But I
know from others that they are not always that nice.

***There were 3 charges around $20, and one could have been filling the
gas tank, another could have been my driving on a toll road (the toll
plus the rental company's fee for figuring out who was driving their car
that day.) They didnt' say what any of the charges were for, but the
previous year, another company didn't even send a final invoice until I
asked for one 9 months later. I had forgotten to note how many miles
I'd driven.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The devil is in the details. Now that we know that, the undercarriage
exception is starting to make sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2019 10:56 AM, micky wrote:
I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

In most cases your own car insurance should cover damage to a rental car
if you have collision coverage.

I once rented a car in Hawaii. The rental company insisted I should buy
the "CDW" insurance. I told them my insurance company covered it. They
insisted that I would have to pay them cash before I could leave Hawaii
if any damage occurred. I bought the coverage.

When I immediately called the state attorney generals office from my
hotel, the guy I talked to said "What are they going to do, send a goon
to the bank with you?." He asked me to write his office and the
insurance commissioners office with my complaint.

When I returned the car, I had extra time before the plane, so I hung
around their drop off point, and got 3 other people to sign that they
had also been told the same lies.

After writing them and my own state attorney general when I got home, I
received a letter from Alamo Rent a car with a check for what I had
paid. A couple years later, I received a copy of the new recently passed
rental car insurance regulations from Hawaii in which they increased
regulations of rental companies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:40:56 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 4/15/2019 10:56 AM, micky wrote:
I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".
What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.
What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.
What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?
And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

In most cases your own car insurance should cover damage to a rental car
if you have collision coverage.

Be sure to read all the fine print !
My car insurance only covers rental cars in Canada & USA.
Even the premium credit card coverage has limitations -
example Ireland is excluded as are a few other countries.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2019 1:56 PM, micky wrote:
I rented a car and bought insurance..... Snip!

Generally, you auto insurance will cover a rental. You can call them to
confirm. I would never pay a rental extra insurance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That's an idea, all right, but I don't think it will work. The
insurance will pay for the damage that's not undercarriage (except for
the $500 deductible) but I'll still have to pay for the damage to the
undercarriage. Like I say, it's not covered by insurance.

But you will be in hospital, and your lawyers will be suing the
rental company for renting you an unsafe car - that had
undercarriage damage that caused the accident !
No worries ! You're welcome.
As an added bonus - you will have so much more time -
while in hospital - to post all your ideas here in Home Repair -
... why the little tubes are different colours ; or why they use
left-handed clipboards in Denmark, etc etc
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

I'm sure with your luck you will find out!! DON'T TAKE IT OFF-ROAD
and don't drive over kerbs - or hit big rocks. or drive over
un-identified stuff on the road (like pieces of truck tire)

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

You going to take the chance????
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

He's got a knack for finding things out the easy way (by first hand
experience)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 01:34:32 +0300, micky
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If I bought the CDW and I really believed that, if I did roll over a
boulder that tumbled off a mountain in front of me and I thought they
had undercarriage damage I would have to pay for. I would test the air
bags. Within that "total", I doubt the undercarriage damage would be
listed.
I beat the crap out of rental cars so I usually buy the insurance.
In South Dakota I put about 1300 miles on a 4wd Suburban on Forest
Service roads. (Every road on the Rapid City "green map")
They rented me a 4wd. Did they think I needed that to get from the
airport to Mt. Rushmore?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Write the dang thing off and there is no "undercarriage damage".
Just make sure you do it on a paved road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

What is the undercarriage?

I believe that's what the English refer to as "twig and berries".

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

You don't want to know. Trust me on this.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

Be on the receiving end of a well-placed kick, lose one's footing at an
inopportune moment when climbing over a fence, suffer a bicycle-riding
mishap, **** off a spouse who's fond of knives...

--
Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I did see a 4WD coming off the same road yesterday that I had so much
trouble on the day before yesterday. He was zipping right along, but
otoh I saw him driving on the end of the dirt road, and though dirt,
that part was flat and didn't give me trouble either, but I had to go
slow because I didn't know the road and didn't know what was coming
next. He was probably a local. No rental car company sticker on his
car.

They do rent 4WD's I think, but 98% of the time, I'm on nice paved roads
where a sedan is more comfortable. (The rental company's local
webpage ad shows people riding in a convertible, but it doesn't rent
convertibles here!!)

Way back in 1990, my friend took me for a drive and even though very
close to the city, she showed me a really scenic area with no
civilization showing in the valley below, and I wanted to see the area
and the view again. She doesn't remember what road it was, but I
remember some geographic landmarks. So the road two days ago had a
similar view, but her road was paved and Monday's road was not.

It came out on a paved road so i thought I'd found it. I went back
yesterday and drove as if I'd turned right when I got off the dirt road,
not left. The road was paved but only for a half mile (and a half mile
with no view of the valley). Then it was back to dirt again. So I
backed up, turned around, and did something else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:54:48 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:54:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/15/2019 8:13 PM, wrote:

Be sure to read all the fine print !
My car insurance only covers rental cars in Canada & USA.
Even the premium credit card coverage has limitations -
example Ireland is excluded as are a few other countries.
John T.

In Italy, the rental company told me by law I had to have the insurance.
Different rental companies, different airports so it may be true.

My Ontario autoinsurance covers me anywherre in the USA and CanadaIf I decline the CDW.

One of my credit cards does too IF I pay the ENTIRE cost with that
card AND decline the CDW from the rental company.

There might be some of that here too. I think I remember hearing that,
but it's certainly not on the webpage where you make the original
reservation.

If you don't drcline the CDW neither one can cover a cent. When I was

Wow.

in Austria and in the Canary Islands my insurance covered the CDW. I

My credit card would cover CDW, but only if I rented for less than 31
days. Even then, only for the first month. Even if I changed rental
car companies after a month, they keep track of that, and even if I
changed charge cards, they exclude that (and might keep track of it).
Plus if I went below a month, like the last partial month of rental, I'd
lose my monthly rate.

Plus even if you can do it, the rental company won't accept a printout
of the credit card webpage that says your covered, probably because
there are so many credit card plans (and webpages, and even more so
printouts of webpages, can stay the same while actual plans change).
All the rental companies insist on a letter addressed to the customer
saying he is covered for CDW. I think this has to be a postal letter,
so one has to remember to do this enough days before leaving home, but I
know the credit card companies know what the rental companies want from
them.

DO have "non owned vehicle cpverage"

It certainly gets complicated.
Posted to alt.home.repair