Posted to alt.home.repair

Default any window air conditioners with "sleeves" still made?

Years ago I used to install Friedrich air conditioners
which were built in two parts. A bunch of competitors
had this option, too.

First was the sleeve, which weighed just a couple of pounds.
This was easy to fasten into place - particularly helpful
if placing the unit at the top of the window.

Once this was properly fastened, then I'd simply pick up
the main part of the unit and slide it in.

Anyway.. while I can still find similar arrangements
for through-the-wall air conditioners, I haven't located
any that are built for windows.

- The window design is a bit more efficient energy wise
as the outdoor "cooling air" that flows over the compressor
comes in through the sides of the unit and out the back.

The "through-the-wall" ones use just the back grill for
both the incoming and outgoing air (there's a baffle
in between) so it doesn't flow as easily and costs
a performance penalty.

Thanks muchly for any pointers

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Jun 2018 01:23:20 -0400, danny burstein
wrote:

[...]

It doesn't work for the top of a double-hung window, but when I lived on
the 5th floor and didn't want to drop my window AC on the people below,
I nailed a shelf to the outside window sill, with a little leg to keep
the shelf close to level. Then I could install the AC and could open
the window later without it falling on the drug addicts next door. (I
lived next door to Teen Challenge, and though they were drug addicts,
they never caused any trouble in the 11 years I was there. Read The
Cross and the Switchblade, by David Wilkerson, or watch the movie.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 1:23:25 AM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
Years ago I used to install Friedrich air conditioners
which were built in two parts. A bunch of competitors
had this option, too.

First was the sleeve, which weighed just a couple of pounds.
This was easy to fasten into place -

Definitely still make them. I bought a 'regular' AC from Wally online and came across quite a few while shopping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2018 7:15 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 1:23:25 AM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
Years ago I used to install Friedrich air conditioners
which were built in two parts. A bunch of competitors
had this option, too.

First was the sleeve, which weighed just a couple of pounds.
This was easy to fasten into place -

Definitely still make them. I bought a 'regular' AC from Wally online and came across quite a few while shopping.

Over the years I've installed a few "made for window" A/C units through
the wall. Just measured the proposed units to ensure that the side
venting would not be blocked by the framing studs. It's a bit more
involved than those units made with the sleeve, but the principle is the
same.

Problem was the units were noisy and crap and just didn't last. Cured
that two years ago with a mini-split system and no looking back. Best
move I even made in the HVAC department.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In m danny burstein writes:

Years ago I used to install Friedrich air conditioners
which were built in two parts. A bunch of competitors
had this option, too.

First was the sleeve, which weighed just a couple of pounds.
This was easy to fasten into place - particularly helpful
if placing the unit at the top of the window.

====== snip ======

Found one. Natch, of course after I installed a standard unit.

Anyway, for future reference this one is super duper cool.
In addition to using a sleeve, it's also got a feature
I've been waiting for in a window unit:

It's a Variable Output Inverter design

In other words, while a standard a/c of, say, 10,000 BTUs
will have the thermostat toggle the compressor _fully on_
and _fully off_ as needed, this one will ramp up
and down. So if, say, you only needed 3,500 BTU's to keep
cool, the traditional ones would be on for a minute, off
for two, on for one, rinse, lather, repeat.

This better design will downshift to the lower number,
keeping the temperature closer, be less noisy, reduce
the power demand when in "on" position, etc.

It's also about 20 percent more efficient than the
older design...

Oh, and much less of a starting surge demand, which
is always nice. Triply so if you're using your own
power supply (backup generator, etc.)

Anyway, it looks like there are only a couple of models
available in the US. More outside...

The one I found is the Lucky Goldstar ("LG") LW1517IVSM
14,000 BTU DUAL Inverter Smart wi-fi Enabled
Window Air Conditioner

http://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/lg-LW1517IVSM

Annoyingly it's in the $450 range, which is about 50 pct more than
a commodity unit would cost. But If I was buying a window
unit now, it's the one I'd get.

Oh... the variable output also comes in handy if you turn
it off for, say, the weekend, and come back to a 95 degree
room. A unit spec'ed for simply maintating a 75 degree temperure
(a 20 degree difference) might only be 4,000 BTU. But that would
take just about forever to bring the room down to what you want.

Since this one has a 14,000 BTU capacity, it'll work at 95 pct
or so of its rating for a half hour, and then throttle back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2018 9:43 PM, danny burstein wrote:

[...]

That is actually cheap in the scheme of things. Back in 1968 i bought a
16,000 Btu AC in a sleeve. I paid $205 back then, but with inflation,
today that would be $1500. That was more than I was making a week.

That price sticks with me for some reason A 6000 BTU room AC was in the
$150 range then. As was a 19" B & W portable TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Ed Pawlowski writes:

Annoyingly it's in the $450 range, which is about 50 pct more than
a commodity unit would cost. But If I was buying a window
unit now, it's the one I'd get.

That is actually cheap in the scheme of things. Back in 1968 i bought a
16,000 Btu AC in a sleeve. I paid $205 back then, but with inflation,
today that would be $1500. That was more than I was making a week.

That price sticks with me for some reason A 6000 BTU room AC was in the
$150 range then. As was a 19" B & W portable TV.

Yeah, air conditioner prices, at least for the mass market
commodity ones, are dramatically lower today than a couple
of decades ago.

I paid $350 for a 10,000 BTU unit back in 1975... Today I can
buy one for $200. That's in "current" dollars both then and
now. Adjusted for inflation, well...

(reasons for the lowerprices left as an exercise to the student)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/17/2018 10:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

That price sticks with me for some reasonÂ* A 6000 BTU room AC was in the
$150 range then.Â* As was a 19" B & W portable TV.

A 19" TV used to be a big one. Now it may be the smallest stores sell.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Theists have good reasons for not believing in every god but their own.
Atheists make no exception for the last one." -- Brett Lemoine
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/17/2018 10:45 PM, danny burstein wrote:

[snip]

I paid $350 for a 10,000 BTU unit back in 1975... Today I can
buy one for $200. That's in "current" dollars both then and
now. Adjusted for inflation, well...

(reasons for the lowerprices left as an exercise to the student)

I see a lot of older (before central A/C was common) that have 240V 20A
receptacles in bedrooms. A/C units must be a lot more efficient,
considering I've seen a room cooled adequately by a unit that used 120V
at less than 5A.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Theists have good reasons for not believing in every god but their own.
Atheists make no exception for the last one." -- Brett Lemoine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/17/2018 11:02 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

The price of the cars seems to be making up for the difference. They
were financed for 3 or maybe 4 years then, now 5 to 7 years seem to be
the norm. I bought a new car a few months back. I could have paid cash
for it by taking it out of my IRA. However as they had 0 % interist for
7 years, I decided to make the monthly payments for it. That will
probabaly save me over $ 5000 or more over that period of time.

I remember when my parents bought a new car (about 1965) and the price
was a little over $2000. $3000 was for a luxury car.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Theists have good reasons for not believing in every god but their own.
Atheists make no exception for the last one." -- Brett Lemoine
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unquestionably Confused posted for all of us...

[...]

+75 I used to have the sleeve units, any time a unit was replaced it had to
be re framed. PIA. I too got a mini and as an add-on I also gives heat.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

danny burstein posted for all of us...

In m danny burstein writes:

[...]

Is it oversized? Less humidity control...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= writes:

danny burstein posted for all of us...

The one I found is the Lucky Goldstar ("LG") LW1517IVSM
14,000 BTU DUAL Inverter Smart wi-fi Enabled
Window Air Conditioner

http://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/lg-LW1517IVSM

Since this one has a 14,000 BTU capacity, it'll work at 95 pct
or so of its rating for a half hour, and then throttle back.

Is it oversized? Less humidity control...

This is the beauty of an inverter based, variable
output, air conditioner. Instead of short cycling
the14,000 BTUs, it throttles down to (for illustration)
just 5,000... and stays on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 1:57:37 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/17/2018 10:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

That price sticks with me for some reasonÂ* A 6000 BTU room AC was in the
$150 range then.Â* As was a 19" B & W portable TV.

A 19" TV used to be a big one. Now it may be the smallest stores sell.

And how much power did those old tube TVs use? The cabinet would get
warm. I measured my 55" one recently, it uses 75W.