Posted to alt.home.repair

Default single band resistor??

A friend is trying to identify a device on a circuit board. It is
identified as a resistor (R34) and looks like a resistor, but only has
one band. If that band was black I;d say it was a "zero ohm_ reistor
- aka a "jumper" but this is a single blue band at the one end. Looks
like about a 1/2 watt.

There are actually 2 of them on the board.
It is the probe board from an Amprobe ACD14 Plus which has gone out of
calibration. No schematics are available -and apparently no parts
either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Jun 2018 23:09:23 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

A friend is trying to identify a device on a circuit board. It is
identified as a resistor (R34) and looks like a resistor, but only has
one band. If that band was black I;d say it was a "zero ohm_ reistor
- aka a "jumper" but this is a single blue band at the one end. Looks
like about a 1/2 watt.

There are actually 2 of them on the board.
It is the probe board from an Amprobe ACD14 Plus which has gone out of
calibration. No schematics are available -and apparently no parts
either.

sci.electronics.repair

As to parts, you can grind up walnut shells and mix it with some copper
dust and press it into the shape of a resistor. I have no idea what its
value will turn out to be, but it's a good activity for a rainy weekend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 11:09:29 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
A friend is trying to identify a device on a circuit board. It is
identified as a resistor (R34) and looks like a resistor, but only has
one band. If that band was black I;d say it was a "zero ohm_ reistor
- aka a "jumper" but this is a single blue band at the one end. Looks
like about a 1/2 watt.

There are actually 2 of them on the board.
It is the probe board from an Amprobe ACD14 Plus which has gone out of
calibration. No schematics are available -and apparently no parts
either.

Any signs from the traces on the board that it's in series with the current leads? It may be some proprietary high precision, low ohm resistance to generate a voltage to measure the current?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend is trying to identify a device on a circuit board. It is
identified as a resistor (R34) and looks like a resistor, but only has
one band. If that band was black I;d say it was a "zero ohm_ reistor
- aka a "jumper" but this is a single blue band at the one end. Looks
like about a 1/2 watt.

There are actually 2 of them on the board.
It is the probe board from an Amprobe ACD14 Plus which has gone out of
calibration. No schematics are available -and apparently no parts
either.

- google search only I'm not versed in electronics
- is it related to a zener diode - see link - and poorly labeled ?
.. click on the thumbnail photo to enlarge

https://www.electronicspoint.com/thr...i-melf.244149/

John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Mabee it;s green.

See it at
www.snyder.on.ca/pages/mystery.htm

The band looks green to me. Off hand I would say it is a 5 ohm resistor
and looks like it could be some sort of wire wound. It may even be a
1/2 ohm resistor. There seems to be 2 of them. Has he tried measuring
them ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 10:45:27 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Mabee it;s green.

See it at
www.snyder.on.ca/pages/mystery.htm

The band looks green to me. Off hand I would say it is a 5 ohm resistor
and looks like it could be some sort of wire wound. It may even be a
1/2 ohm resistor. There seems to be 2 of them. Has he tried measuring
them ?

They are also right at the input terminal of that current measuring
probe, which is the question I raised earlier. Clare won't see it,
he ignores me, so his loss. I suggested that they might be special
precision resistors that convert the current to voltage for measurement.
Now that we have a pic, I agree they look like they could be wirewound.
Another question, what's the point here? Just curiousity? Did he
measure the resistance? I'd expect it's very low.

Another thing, there is a gold band resistor in between. I wonder
if those two are low ohm wirewound, maybe all three are in parallel
and the gold band one is hand selected at assembly to adjust and set
the exact resistance for the combo of all three?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 10:09:29 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
A friend is trying to identify a device on a circuit board. It is
identified as a resistor (R34) and looks like a resistor, but only has
one band. If that band was black I;d say it was a "zero ohm_ reistor
- aka a "jumper" but this is a single blue band at the one end. Looks
like about a 1/2 watt.

There are actually 2 of them on the board.
It is the probe board from an Amprobe ACD14 Plus which has gone out of
calibration. No schematics are available -and apparently no parts
either.

Isn't there any schematic that can be looked at????