Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Win XP & 7 -- technically "home repair"

I say technically because any time I need to escape doing any home repairs, I slip into the special brain center where all the latest 15-year old computers and software are buzzing away.

Anyways.... this old computer has Win2000 on it and I have to keep it for running one proprietary program.

I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7, that would like to load on the same computer, so that I can boot to any one of them without screwing up the other two.

Any pointers on where to look or super E-Z advice to follow?

Snuffy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:22:11 -0700, "Newgene McMensa"
newgene.mcmensaREMOVEREMOVEgmail.com wrote:

I say technically because any time I need to escape doing any home repairs,
I slip into the special brain center where all the latest 15-year old computers
and software are buzzing away.
Anyways.... this old computer has Win2000 on it and I have to keep it for running
one proprietary program.
I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7, that would like to load on
the same computer, so that I can boot to any one of them without screwing up the other two.
Any pointers on where to look or super E-Z advice to follow?
Snuffy

https://www.howtogeek.com/214477/how...ns-of-windows/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:22:11 -0700, "Newgene McMensa"
newgene.mcmensaREMOVEREMOVEgmail.com wrote:

I say technically because any time I need to escape doing any home repairs,
I slip into the special brain center where all the latest 15-year old computers
and software are buzzing away.
Anyways.... this old computer has Win2000 on it and I have to keep it for running
one proprietary program.
I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7, that would like to load on
the same computer, so that I can boot to any one of them without screwing up the other two.
Any pointers on where to look or super E-Z advice to follow?
Snuffy

https://www.howtogeek.com/214477/how...ns-of-windows/

Thanks! Will give it a try and post the results. Very much appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:22:11 -0700, "Newgene McMensa"
newgene.mcmensaREMOVEREMOVEgmail.com wrote:

I say technically because any time I need to escape doing any home repairs, I slip into the special brain center where all the latest 15-year old computers and software are buzzing away.

Anyways.... this old computer has Win2000 on it and I have to keep it for running one proprietary program.

I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7, that would like to load on the same computer, so that I can boot to any one of them without screwing up the other two.

Any pointers on where to look or super E-Z advice to follow?

Snuffy

You can go the dual boot route but if you are using IDE drives you can
also put 2 pin headers on the master slave jumper pins and use a DPDT
switch to swap C: and D:. I did that for years before dual boot was a
thing.
The advantage is the drives are totally independent of each other and
will work stand alone.
I am curious to see if you can still get through XP authorization. I
have heard MS is not doing it anymore but I don't know for sure that
it is true. The first of the year I did some and the only trick at
that time was you needed to load SP3 and IE8 first. I do still get
updates on my Office 2007 on my XP machines so it sort of works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:22:11 -0700, "Newgene McMensa"
newgene.mcmensaREMOVEREMOVEgmail.com wrote:

I say technically because any time I need to escape doing any home repairs, I slip into the special brain center where all the latest 15-year old computers and software are buzzing away.

Anyways.... this old computer has Win2000 on it and I have to keep it for running one proprietary program.

I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7, that would like to load on the same computer, so that I can boot to any one of them without screwing up the other two.

Any pointers on where to look or super E-Z advice to follow?

Snuffy

I have a financial program I wrote back in the days of MS-DOS
(actually CP/M, but you aren't old enough for that). It worked through
Win-7, but not Win-10.

I downloaded VirtualBox (which is free), created a "container",
installed XP in that container. Works great. My software runs, as does
my favorite old game.

VirtualBox allows multiple containers which can be loaded with almost
any operating systems.

Only problem I've had is that only one of my USB drives is
recognizable by the XP system. It is the only one formatted as ExFAT,
so I suspect that is the reason.

-dan z-

--
Someone who thinks logically provides
a nice contrast to the real world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:22:11 -0700, Newgene McMensa wrote:

I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7.

What do you mean by 'new'? OEM versions of Windows XP & 7 still need to be
activated on-line with Microsoft. Usually, the MS server will refuse to
allow it if the hardware config does not match that of the previous
activation for that licence.

You might have success if the licence was never activated, is that what you
mean by 'new'? If so, there might be other problems; sometimes MS provided
OEMs with 'tinkered' versions of the OEM install that would only work on a
host with a specific configuration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mqduffy001
@bell.net says...

I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7.

What do you mean by 'new'? OEM versions of Windows XP & 7 still need to be
activated on-line with Microsoft. Usually, the MS server will refuse to
allow it if the hardware config does not match that of the previous
activation for that licence.

You might have success if the licence was never activated, is that what you
mean by 'new'? If so, there might be other problems; sometimes MS provided
OEMs with 'tinkered' versions of the OEM install that would only work on a
host with a specific configuration.

Yes, unless the OEM version is for a computer like it was made for,
there could be lots of problems. A number of years back I had a
computer to loose a hard drive. I put in an OEM disc by another company
and it did not load correctly. I finally found a disc with the general
XP operating system and used my COA (whatever) to activate it and all
was well.

With the used computers on ebay going for $ 100 or less and a licensed
versionof windows on it, I would just get another comuter.

One thing I did find out is there seem to be many on ebay that are
selling the 'password, coa or whatever) for a few dollars for many of
the Windows systems. I have an old copy of Windows Office and tried to
use it on a new Win 10 computer. It loads, but not everything runs.
When I bought that laptop I was told it would not run an older version
of Office. I thought this was nuts as I had the old version running on
another win 10 computer that was upgraded from the win 7. I opted for a
newer version of Office and sent off less than $ 10 to ebay. A few
hours later I got an email with the password and a link to Microsoft
where I could download the office program. It has been working fine for
the last 6 months. I first thought it may be a scam, but thought I
would give it a try for the price.

The way I understand it , now Microsoft wants you to rent the new office
every year. No more than I do, the old office 95 does it all for me.
Much more and I will just go to the free versions similar to Office
like Open Office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 11:41:36 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , mqduffy001
@bell.net says...

[...]

I don't think he;s going to find a PC on Ebay with three different
OS's installed and ready to boot.

[...]

Another bigger problem is that the new versions of those programs have
so much added, such complexity, that they are unusable, while if you
still have the old versions, you know how they work and can use them.
For example I recently went to use Word starter, a version that's about
6 years old that came with the PC. It's so freaking loaded with "features"
that I literally could not figure out how to change from double spacing
to single spacing. And double for whatever reason was the default, which
is really dumb too. I wonder what percent of users actually use most of
that new stuff? I can see an admin that's doing complex documents daily,
it's great for them. But they really need a "simplify" button on the
new versions of office, so that you can do basic tasks easily, without
all the complexity, all the buttons, all the menus, all the features
that you don't need and can't take the time to figure out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 10:28:29 -0400, Mike_Duffy
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:22:11 -0700, Newgene McMensa wrote:

I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7.

What do you mean by 'new'? OEM versions of Windows XP & 7 still need to be
activated on-line with Microsoft. Usually, the MS server will refuse to
allow it if the hardware config does not match that of the previous
activation for that licence.

From what I have seen, at least for XP, MS has stopped doing hardware
verification. I did 2 in december with the same code within hours of
each other. (accidentally but it still worked)
Posted to alt.home.repair

With the used computers on ebay going for $ 100 or less and a licensed
versionof windows on it, I would just get another comuter.

I don't think he;s going to find a PC on Ebay with three different
OS's installed and ready to boot.

Keep the old laptop and its old operating system Win 2000 ?
to use exclusively with the one old program that requires it ...
hardware failure might be near anyway and messing around with
partitions and dual-boot conflicts etc might prove regretful
Buy a much newer used laptop for everything else - that was my
first thought also.
My Lenovo T500 was $ 140. 2 years ago - works great.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:22:11 -0700, Newgene McMensa wrote:

I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7.

What do you mean by 'new'? OEM versions of Windows XP & 7 still need to be
activated on-line with Microsoft. Usually, the MS server will refuse to
allow it if the hardware config does not match that of the previous
activation for that licence.

You might have success if the licence was never activated, is that what you
mean by 'new'? If so, there might be other problems; sometimes MS provided
OEMs with 'tinkered' versions of the OEM install that would only work on a
host with a specific configuration.

He got generic "oem" windows, not "preinstall".

From windows XP SP1 on, there were virtually no "tinkered" oem
packages - the "tinkered" stuf fwas virtually all pre-install "images"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Newgene McMensa" newgene.mcmensaREMOVEREMOVEgmail.com wrote in message ...
I say technically because any time I need to escape doing any home repairs, I slip into the special brain center where all the latest 15-year old computers and software are buzzing away.

Anyways.... this old computer has Win2000 on it and I have to keep it for running one proprietary program.

I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7, that would like to load on the same computer, so that I can boot to any one of them without screwing up the other two.

Any pointers on where to look or super E-Z advice to follow?

Snuffy

=======

Thank all of you fine folks for the advice and bringing back memories of what tinkering around with old systems can lead to. Best for me is to leave this system alone, and pick up another old PC with XP or 7. That's exactly what I did 23 years ago when I bought my first post-TI 99/4A and Commodore computer -- picked up a "state of the art" system with a huge 1GB hard drive, Win 95, Autocad 13, Office, etc. Seems like it was around $600 from college student.

Time flies, doesn't it.