Rev_Scuggins

Default Paint Baseboards Before Carpet?

Hello,

I've finished painting my home interior except for the baseboards. In three
days I'm having new carpet installed. Should I paint the baseboards before
the new carpet is installed?

My plan is to paint the baseboards before the carpet install, then touch up
any scuff marks made by the carpet installers afterwards. My old carpet has
been removed, so I won't have to worry about protecting the floor if I paint
them now. My concern is that the carpet installers may damage the baseboards
to the point where I'd have to completely re-paint them, so I'd be painting
them twice.

Should I wait until the carpet install is complete before painting the
baseboards?

Thanks,
Rev

T.P.

I'd say do it now. There is nothing more tedious and migraine inducing than
taping down to paint and worrying about getting paint on the carpet.
Especially brand new carpet.
"Rev_Scuggins" wrote in message
[...]

Rev_Scuggins

Thanks, T.P.

I think I'll just get this over with. Many, many years ago I worked as a
carpet installer. I honestly can't remember how badly we treated
baseboards....

Hopefully my installers will be gentle and my painting project will finally
be over!

"T.P." wrote in message
[...]

Phisherman

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:31:14 GMT, "Rev_Scuggins"
wrote:

Hello,

I've finished painting my home interior except for the baseboards. In three
days I'm having new carpet installed. Should I paint the baseboards before
the new carpet is installed?

My plan is to paint the baseboards before the carpet install, then touch up
any scuff marks made by the carpet installers afterwards. My old carpet has
been removed, so I won't have to worry about protecting the floor if I paint
them now. My concern is that the carpet installers may damage the baseboards
to the point where I'd have to completely re-paint them, so I'd be painting
them twice.

Should I wait until the carpet install is complete before painting the
baseboards?

Thanks,
Rev

At least prime the baseboard before the installer arrive. It would be
a good idea to lightly sand them too. It is easier to paint before
the carpet install, and better yet to do it a month before. Fresh
paint takes a month to fully cure and harden, especially oil-based
paint which is commonly used for trimwork.

jeffc

"Rev_Scuggins" wrote in message
Hello,

I've finished painting my home interior except for the baseboards. In

three
days I'm having new carpet installed. Should I paint the baseboards before
the new carpet is installed?

My plan is to paint the baseboards before the carpet install, then touch

up
any scuff marks made by the carpet installers afterwards.

That's the right plan!

jeffc

"Trent©" wrote in message
news

And tell the installers there better be NO scuff marks!!

Yes! Obvious, but sometimes it works. You can also deduct 10% if they do
scuff them up. Fair for you, plus they'll never bother fighting 10% even if
they don't agree to it.

jeffc

"Phisherman" wrote in message

At least prime the baseboard before the installer arrive. It would be
a good idea to lightly sand them too. It is easier to paint before
the carpet install, and better yet to do it a month before. Fresh
paint takes a month to fully cure and harden, especially oil-based
paint which is commonly used for trimwork.

No one looks at baseboards close enough where you'd need sanding. And most
interior trim is done with latex now anyway.