Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit

Old July 16th 04, 05:37 PM
Joshua

Default Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit

How do I wire up a 480v Single Phase circuit? I'm familiar with 480V
3P but not single. The machine has a preinstalled 3-wire cord, one of
which is a ground so I'd only be using twom wires.

Also what exactly does poles mean? Like a circuit breaker is either
1-2-3 poles, is that the same as phase? Thanks.
Old July 16th 04, 06:50 PM
TURTLE

"Joshua" wrote in message
om...
How do I wire up a 480v Single Phase circuit? I'm familiar with 480V
3P but not single. The machine has a preinstalled 3-wire cord, one of
which is a ground so I'd only be using twom wires.

Also what exactly does poles mean? Like a circuit breaker is either
1-2-3 poles, is that the same as phase? Thanks.

This is Turtle.

480 volt single phase motors / equipment is very rare to say the least. There is
only one i know of and it is the 480 volt HVAC rooftop systems which have 480
volt condenser fan motors on them. First you have to get 480 volt service to the
building which only comes in 3 phase service and just use two of the hots of the
3 hots for power. If your thinking of running this at your house. the cost is
going to be high to get 480 volt service to your house. The electric company
will supply you with 480 volt service for about $4K atleast and then you have to
be set up to have the switch box for the 480 volt serice.

Now you can look into getting a buck and boost transformer and get 480 volt
service out of your home 220 volt service. That will run you about $2K atleast.

You got me here with what you would have that runs on single phase 480 volt that
could be useful to you. It would be nice to know what it is.

TURTLE

---

Old July 16th 04, 08:41 PM
Chris Lewis

According to HA HA Budys Here :
From: (Joshua)

How do I wire up a 480v Single Phase circuit? I'm familiar with 480V
3P but not single. The machine has a preinstalled 3-wire cord, one of
which is a ground so I'd only be using twom wires.

Also what exactly does poles mean? Like a circuit breaker is either
1-2-3 poles, is that the same as phase? Thanks.

I think "poles" means "hots" in this context. You have two.

"Single phase" 480 is just like single phase 240 residential service, only at a
higher voltage. It's called single phase because the voltage is derived from a
center tapped transformer fed from one single primary.

I've never seen a single phase 480v service. 480 is commercial/industrial in
nature and it's generally supplied as 3 phases.

I think he's just pulling two hots (out of three) from a 480V three phase feed.

At that voltage, I'd normally hire an electrician just to be _damn_ sure I don't
do something dumb.

Most 120V stupidities are survivable. I consider 480V instant death.

[During the ice storm we wired a 600V three phase 200Kw generator. In an
emergency, you gotta do what you gotta do. But you can damn betcha we were
careful, and warned everyone that sticking one's hand into the step-down
transformer was not just dangerous but instant death. They paid attention.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Old July 16th 04, 10:58 PM
volts500

"Joshua" wrote in message
om...
How do I wire up a 480v Single Phase circuit? I'm familiar with 480V
3P but not single. The machine has a preinstalled 3-wire cord, one of
which is a ground so I'd only be using twom wires.

Also what exactly does poles mean? Like a circuit breaker is either
1-2-3 poles, is that the same as phase? Thanks.

480 volt single phase is any two phases line-to-line of a 3 phase 480 volt
system. If you had to ask a simple question like that, it would be in your
best interests (and possibly others) NOT to be messing with it. Call a
qualified Commercial/Industrial electrician.

Old July 17th 04, 12:26 AM
PrecisionMachinisT

"volts500" wrote in message
om...

"Joshua" wrote in message
om...
How do I wire up a 480v Single Phase circuit? I'm familiar with 480V
3P but not single. The machine has a preinstalled 3-wire cord, one of
which is a ground so I'd only be using twom wires.

Also what exactly does poles mean? Like a circuit breaker is either
1-2-3 poles, is that the same as phase? Thanks.

480 volt single phase is any two phases line-to-line of a 3 phase 480 volt
system. If you had to ask a simple question like that, it would be in

your
best interests (and possibly others) NOT to be messing with it. Call a
qualified Commercial/Industrial electrician.

Poor description--two phases ???

--

SVL

Old July 17th 04, 03:03 AM
Chris Lewis

According to PrecisionMachinisT :

"volts500" wrote in message
om...

"Joshua" wrote in message
om...
How do I wire up a 480v Single Phase circuit? I'm familiar with 480V
3P but not single. The machine has a preinstalled 3-wire cord, one of
which is a ground so I'd only be using twom wires.

Also what exactly does poles mean? Like a circuit breaker is either
1-2-3 poles, is that the same as phase? Thanks.

480 volt single phase is any two phases line-to-line of a 3 phase 480 volt
system. If you had to ask a simple question like that, it would be in

your
best interests (and possibly others) NOT to be messing with it. Call a
qualified Commercial/Industrial electrician.

Poor description--two phases ???

Not really. "Two phases from a 3 phase circuit" is a perfectly
reasonable way of saying it. Doesn't make the resulting circuit two
phase tho. It's single phase. Hint: if you were to scope one hot
relative to the other, it's still a simple sine wave.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Old July 17th 04, 03:38 AM
PrecisionMachinisT

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to PrecisionMachinisT :

"volts500" wrote in message
om...

"Joshua" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yes, really....

"Two phases from a three phase circuit" would better describe a circuit
connected to a three phase supply through three wires but having no load
across one of the phases.

Hint: our shop has a single phase service at 400 amps, we buss 170 amps of
this to generate our own three phase power via rotary transformer in order
to supply the machinery.

At any rate, a better description IMO would have been something like " a
two wire service, usually one phase of a three phase supply"

--

SVL

Old July 17th 04, 04:11 AM
PrecisionMachinisT

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Joshua" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hello, Turtle.

You gots me there too--mebbe he found some lights for cheap and is gonna
grow dope or something.....

Now for a small load, a transformer for 220/440 shouldnt be too expensive on
the surplus market though--Ebay, perhaps.....

--

SVL

Old July 17th 04, 06:35 AM
TURTLE

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Joshua" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I have very seldom that a small load on something that uses 480 volts to pull
it. You use 480 volt service to get it on for power of anything using it. other
than that 220 volt service will run a great deal and easler to find power for
it.

Awwwwww E-bay for quality stuff. Not Me.

TURTLE

---