Russell W. Patterson

Default meter main

Hi:

Building new house and my electrician wants to put in a meter main.
Problem is we can't find one bigger than 200A (square D model
cqrb200). Does anyone make a 400A?

thanks,
russ

Russell W. Patterson wrote:
: Hi:

: Building new house and my electrician wants to put in a meter main.
: Problem is we can't find one bigger than 200A (square D model
: cqrb200). Does anyone make a 400A?

: thanks,
: russ
:

Why not use 2 200A panels?
PrecisionMachinisT

"Russell W. Patterson" wrote in message
om...
Hi:

Building new house and my electrician wants to put in a meter main.
Problem is we can't find one bigger than 200A (square D model
cqrb200). Does anyone make a 400A?

What is generally done in this case anymore is dual mains are run from the
utility secondary and "current transformer" metering equipment installed,
the mains then feeding into a pair of 200 Amp panels......

IMO, you are putting the horse behind the wagon......suggest contact your
utility or local permitting authority for more information on "CT" service
if your electrician is not familiar with it, as requirements do vary
considerably in different areas.

--

SVL

John Grabowski

The Square D model # CU12L400N is rated for an underground service and has a
list price of $2309.00. The actual price will vary by distributor. I'm not
sure what other manufacturers have in their catalogs, but check with several
electrical supply houses.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"Russell W. Patterson" wrote in message
om...
Hi:

Building new house and my electrician wants to put in a meter main.
Problem is we can't find one bigger than 200A (square D model
cqrb200). Does anyone make a 400A?

thanks,
russ

HorneTD

Russell W. Patterson wrote:

Hi:

Building new house and my electrician wants to put in a meter main.
Problem is we can't find one bigger than 200A (square D model
cqrb200). Does anyone make a 400A?

thanks,
russ

Square D makes a 400 amp meter mains assembly in underground supply
configuration.
http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Ele...ns/QU/3320.pdf

A more cost effective solution would be to install a four hundred ampere
meter assembly that is fitted with double barreled lugs to supply two
sets of two hundred ampere service entrance conductors to supply two 200
ampere main breaker panels. The only caution is that since the load is
split into two separate sets of conductors some AHJs will insist that
each set be rated for 200 amperes in accordance with the regular
ampacity tables rather than the table that applies only to main feeders
for single phase dwelling services.
--
Tom H