PH

Default any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain?

My water treatment equipment and hot water heater are at the opposite
end of the basement from the sump, which seem to be hooked to a French
drain. There is about an inch of blue styrofoam all around the
perimeter of the basement; when I busted a few chunks of it out I saw
crushed rock underneath.

I'm thinking about somehow setting up a system to drain the equipment
to the crushed rock below the floor. This would save a bunch of
shop-vaccing water off the floor when I have to break fittings for
maintenance, or if something breaks.

Any problems with such an approach?

Thanks,
Pete.
Speedy Jim

PH wrote:

My water treatment equipment and hot water heater are at the opposite
end of the basement from the sump, which seem to be hooked to a French
drain. There is about an inch of blue styrofoam all around the
perimeter of the basement; when I busted a few chunks of it out I saw
crushed rock underneath.

I'm thinking about somehow setting up a system to drain the equipment
to the crushed rock below the floor. This would save a bunch of
shop-vaccing water off the floor when I have to break fittings for
maintenance, or if something breaks.

Any problems with such an approach?

Thanks,
Pete.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.
Sounds like the "French drain" was installed at a later date
as a means of "waterproofing" the basement. The system should
handle a generous quantity of water.

Jim
m Ransley

Default any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as aba...

Does it go to a sump pump in the basement or downhill somewhere .