Peter A

Default Replacing shower with laundry sink

Hey folks,

There's a small shower in my laundry room, and I'm planning to replace this
with a laundry sink. As I usually do, I tore into the destruction phase
before planning out the rest of the job. :-) I've got the shower surround
ready to come out, and I'm working on detaching the drain from the shower
pan.

The water lines should be relatively simple to connect: there are tees on
the hot and cold pipes for the washer that currently feed this shower. The
question is, how can I convert the shower's floor drain to a suitable drain
for the laundry sink?

Thanks,
Peter

Speedy Jim

Peter A wrote:

Hey folks,

There's a small shower in my laundry room, and I'm planning to replace this
with a laundry sink. As I usually do, I tore into the destruction phase
before planning out the rest of the job. :-) I've got the shower surround
ready to come out, and I'm working on detaching the drain from the shower
pan.

The water lines should be relatively simple to connect: there are tees on
the hot and cold pipes for the washer that currently feed this shower. The
question is, how can I convert the shower's floor drain to a suitable drain
for the laundry sink?

Thanks,
Peter

The shower drain should be 2". You'll have to discover what material
the pipe is.

If there is ~1" of pipe sticking above floor, use a Fernco rubber
coupling to reduce to 1 1/2" *tubular* size (that's what the sink
drain will be).
If the pipe winds up being flush, chip out enough floor to get a
coupling on.
The shower should have a trap under floor, so none is required
on the sink.

Jim
Peter A

Speedy Jim wrote in :

The shower drain should be 2". You'll have to discover what material
the pipe is.

If there is ~1" of pipe sticking above floor, use a Fernco rubber
coupling to reduce to 1 1/2" *tubular* size (that's what the sink
drain will be).
If the pipe winds up being flush, chip out enough floor to get a
coupling on.
The shower should have a trap under floor, so none is required
on the sink.

Jim

Thanks for the advice! My job is easier than I thought: after I got the
shower surround and drain out, it finally dawned on me that the whole thing
was built up on a pedestal, about 8" or so. The drain was in the top of
this pedestal, and the pipe runs down and back to a horizontal run that's
all exposed. I don't have to use the existing drain at all, and I
shouldn't have trouble tying into that horizontal run. Thanks again,

Peter

Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
reconstruction of shower stall and bathroom floor Spoon2001 Home Repair 2 March 12th 04 02:13 AM
another leaky shower question Witchy UK diy 6 October 9th 03 05:09 PM