New Arty Boy

Default drywall v. skim coat plaster

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:09:50 -0700, Misterbeets wrote
(in article ):

It's obviously not drywall (not as flat), and that's a good thing, since
drywall is the lower cost alternative .
Harder finish reflects more noise, makes for tougher repairs, and isn't
nail-friendly.

Where drywall meets plaster wall, do you tape the corner using plaster or
drywall mud? (Drywall I'm using is green-back gypsum.)

Thanks,
--
DaveC

Drywall mud
Plaster will not stick to drywall

Mark & Shauna

Plaster will most certainly stick to drywall. We have had occasion to
skim coat over drywall many times however it is harder as the drywall
sucks the water out of the mix but it will work fine.

Pertaining to the OP running drywall into skim coat, you do have to use
joint compound only because you cant feather / sand plaster in a
butt/lap situation very well. Even on big jobs plasterers will use
compound to feather out the start/stop points on large walls.

Mark

New Arty Boy wrote:
"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:09:50 -0700, Misterbeets wrote
(in article ):

It's obviously not drywall (not as flat), and that's a good thing, since
drywall is the lower cost alternative .
Harder finish reflects more noise, makes for tougher repairs, and isn't
nail-friendly.

Where drywall meets plaster wall, do you tape the corner using plaster or
drywall mud? (Drywall I'm using is green-back gypsum.)

Thanks,
--
DaveC

Drywall mud
Plaster will not stick to drywall

New Arty Boy

"Mark & Shauna" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Plaster will most certainly stick to drywall. We have had occasion to
skim coat over drywall many times however it is harder as the drywall
sucks the water out of the mix but it will work fine.

the paper on drywall will get moldy if you use plaster.
it is NOT made to absorb water.
smarten the F -up

Pertaining to the OP running drywall into skim coat, you do have to use
joint compound only because you cant feather / sand plaster in a
butt/lap situation very well. Even on big jobs plasterers will use
compound to feather out the start/stop points on large walls.

yah!
and you saw it done once.................... from a distance.
now you are an expert.
shut......up!

New Arty Boy

"kenny blankenship" wrote in message
this is too funny! I am a 20 year veteran of plastering and some of the
things people come up with...........LOL

I noticed YOU did not come up with any answer
Mr 20 year veteran of facial plastering.

Mark & Shauna

Perhaps you could come up with some documentation to back up your
claims, then there would be no dispute to my years in the trade, as well
as the other post.

Put some data where your mouth is...

Mark

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
Plaster Skim Tips Andy Hide UK diy 4 November 12th 03 02:38 PM