Mark Blum

Default What type of glue to use for ipe?

I recently built a deck for my house out of ipe. I received a great
deal on 1x6 ipe decking ($1.10/lf) and have a considerable amount left
over. I still need to construct the railings and would prefer to glue
up my leftover existing 1" stock into the needed 2" stock instead of
purchasing more wood.

I'd like to know what glue would be the best choice to glue up the
stock. I searched around on Google and found some references to gluing
ipe, but didn't get a good read on what worked best in such an outdoor
application. It seems my options are poly glue, epoxy, and possibly
Titebond III. Having worked with poly glue, I have generally found it a
pain to use and would prefer to avoid it if possible. I have no
experience with epoxy, but it seems as if it might even be more of a
pain than poly. Titebond III looks promising, and would certainly be
the easiest to use considering the large amount of gluing I am facing.
The specs look good, but the website info is unclear on it's suitability
for such applications or woods.

Would Titebond III work fine in such an application? Would it hold up
to the weather being outside year-round? Is polyurethane glue or epoxy
a better choice, even considering the hassle of application? Any
thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Joe Bobst

I searched around on Google and found some references to gluing ipe,

Call the manufacturer's customer service for a truly definitive answer. Your
easiest to use product will be Titebond III, the absolutely most durable a
two part epoxy.

Is polyurethane glue or epoxy
a better choice, even considering the hassle of application?

Don't really understand why you have an aversion to mixing two liquids before
applying to a work piece. Any quality job usually requires some extra effort
which utimately is showcased in the result. HTH

Joe

Ed Angell

I've used the West System epoxy on Ipe and it's pretty good. I wipe the
area to be glued with MEK about 5 minutes prior to bonding, don't over-clamp
or you'll squeeze all the epoxy out of the joint. WS has a broad range of
catalysts for any given temperature,choose one that gives you the best
working time. Stay away from the 5 minute epoxies as they are usually not
waterproof over the long haul. Epoxies can be a PITA, but if your careful
and don't over apply they are the best.

Ed Angell

"Mark Blum" wrote in message
[...]

m Ransley

Dont glue it , if it fails when someone falls on it or through it you
will regret it, not worth the worry or liability.

J. Clarke

wrote:

What the heck is IPE ?????

google "ipe lumber". Also try "lapacho". There are some other trade
names for it but they're ambiguous. You might find
http://www.rain-tree.com/paudarco.htm to be interesting as well.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Glen

This will answer all your questions.
http://ipe-wood.com/tech.html#gen_char

Glen

What the heck is IPE ?????

wrote:

[...]

Alex

Mark Blum wrote in message ...
SNIP....
I'd like to know what glue would be the best choice to glue up the
stock.
END SNIP....

Mark;
Titebond III will work just fine. The only thing you need to
remember is to wipe it down with acetone first to knock back the oils
in the wood. Polyurethane glues also work well. The important part
is the acetone wipe.

Good luck.

Alex Garcia
Paxton Woodcrafters/KC