Yves

Default 10 year old TV repair

Hi,

My TV set (Zenith) just started displaying strange colors. The image is
still clear, except that, I see 3 vertical bands, one too much red, one too
much green and one too much blue, I know they are the basic colors, what I
don't know, is it easy to fix it.

Does someone here knows is it the tube, magnet or soemthing else.

It seems to me that 10 year isn't that much for a TV set,

Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Yves" wrote in message

It seems to me that 10 year isn't that much for a TV set,

Thanks.

Average is closer to 7 or 8 years.

I don't know what the problems is, but there is a TV newsgroup that may be
of more help to you. As for getting it repaired, that depends on the size
of the TV and the cost of repair. Small TVs can be had for $100.
Ed

DaveG

"Yves" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

My TV set (Zenith) just started displaying strange colors. The image is
still clear, except that, I see 3 vertical bands, one too much red, one

too
much green and one too much blue, I know they are the basic colors, what I
don't know, is it easy to fix it.

Does someone here knows is it the tube, magnet or soemthing else.

It seems to me that 10 year isn't that much for a TV set,

Thanks.

. I seriously doubt the cost of repairing this one would be worth it.

Not for something that old. Time to go TV shopping.

Yves wrote:

Hi,

My TV set (Zenith) just started displaying strange colors. The image is
still clear, except that, I see 3 vertical bands, one too much red, one too
much green and one too much blue, I know they are the basic colors, what I
don't know, is it easy to fix it.

Does someone here knows is it the tube, magnet or soemthing else.

It seems to me that 10 year isn't that much for a TV set,

Thanks.

if its a portable bring it into a shop for an estimate and find out it
will cost you more than a new one... we had a $1200 floor model about
that old and threw it out and went to walmart for a 26 in. phillips
portable and put it in a $2,000 real wood entertainment center.. now the
next time we need a tv we can get a $200 tv from walmart instead of
paying a repair of over $200 to nurse the old one along... 10 yrs. is
max for a TV... its just that from watching it so long you got so use to
the bad picture that you did not see how really bad the picture was for
so long... thats the problem we had... never even knew the BLUE gun was
out on the TV set until we say a new tv in the stores... then realized
that we were watching junk for so long....
Joseph Meehan

Yves wrote:
Hi,

My TV set (Zenith) just started displaying strange colors. The image
is still clear, except that, I see 3 vertical bands, one too much
red, one too much green and one too much blue, I know they are the
basic colors, what I don't know, is it easy to fix it.

Does someone here knows is it the tube, magnet or soemthing else.

It seems to me that 10 year isn't that much for a TV set,

Thanks.

I am not totally clear about the problem, but about the only thing I can
think of that might be descried that way and might be worth fixing would be
if the picture tube needs to be degaussed, and your description does not
exactly fit that one. Other than that, the fix is the same for almost every
other problem, buy a new one. It is cheaper than fixing almost anything
else and will come with a warrantee and likely a better quality TV.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

See if you can find a tv repair place that gives free estimates. I have
2 small tvs that would have cost 450 to replace both, i got them both
fixed for 200 several yrs later they are ok. Im just tried of throwing
things away. But these were tvs that had little use were old and the
repair shop was close. If you have watched it every day for a few hrs,
then it may not be worth it , tubes and components deteriorate wih use.
New tvs are cheap.

Minnie Bannister

If you have to pay someone to fix it, it probably won't be worth it: $50
- $80 per hour for the repair shop to fix the old one vs. $1 per hour
for the Chinese or Korean assembly-line workers that make the new ones.

MB

On 06/06/04 02:20 pm Yves put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

My TV set (Zenith) just started displaying strange colors. The image is
still clear, except that, I see 3 vertical bands, one too much red, one too
much green and one too much blue, I know they are the basic colors, what I
don't know, is it easy to fix it.

Does someone here knows is it the tube, magnet or soemthing else.

It seems to me that 10 year isn't that much for a TV set,

Rudy

My TV set (Zenith) just started displaying strange colors. The image is
still clear, except that, I see 3 vertical bands, one too much red, one

too
much green and one too much blue,

MY 16 yr old JVC went out something like that last month: pink and green
only. I took it to a shop that gave free estimates and he found it was the
'degaussing' circuitry. Fixed it the next day for $ 80 and its fine now.

ameijers

"Rudy" wrote in message
newsbOwc.689355$Ig.283937@pd7tw2no...

My TV set (Zenith) just started displaying strange colors. The image is
still clear, except that, I see 3 vertical bands, one too much red, one

too
much green and one too much blue,

MY 16 yr old JVC went out something like that last month: pink and green
only. I took it to a shop that gave free estimates and he found it was

the
'degaussing' circuitry. Fixed it the next day for $ 80 and its fine now.

Hmm- around here a new generic flat-tube 20" goes for a couple of hundred
bucks. How many years do you think that JVC has left in it?

aem sends....

Curmudgeon

Good advice, but I haven't seen a repair shop that gives free estimates in
15 years! After all, it takes longer to diagnose the problem than it does
to fix it. They gotta charge for that time.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
See if you can find a tv repair place that gives free estimates. I have
2 small tvs that would have cost 450 to replace both, i got them both
fixed for 200 several yrs later they are ok. Im just tried of throwing
things away. But these were tvs that had little use were old and the
repair shop was close. If you have watched it every day for a few hrs,
then it may not be worth it , tubes and components deteriorate wih use.
New tvs are cheap.

Rudy

Hmm- around here a new generic flat-tube 20" goes for a couple of hundred
bucks. How many years do you think that JVC has left in it?

Its a 27" and working fine now for 80 bucks. I try not to support the
"throwitaway" philosophy thats everywhere today.

Rudy

Good advice, but I haven't seen a repair shop that gives free estimates in
15 years!

OK, for 20 bucks, I'll tell you where it is G

do_not_spam_me

"Yves" wrote in message ...

My TV set (Zenith) just started displaying strange colors.
The image is still clear, except that, I see 3 vertical
bands, one too much red, one too much green and one too
much blue, I know they are the basic colors, what I
don't know, is it easy to fix it.

Does someone here knows is it the tube, magnet or soemthing
else.

It seems to me that 10 year isn't that much for a TV set,

I have a Japanese TV over 20 years old that still works fine, and
unless the picture becomes fuzzy, dim, or all one color, indicating a
possible bad picture tube, it can almost always be saved, but whether
it's economical is another matter.

What you describe seems like a purity problem caused by a nearby
magnet. You may want to check a TV repair book to see if there are
any example pictures that are similar. If you have any speakers,
fans, or electric motors nearby, move them away, and the colors should
return to normal, although it may happen gradually each time you turn
on the TV. When you do this after the TV has been left off for over a
minute, the degaussing coil runs for about 2 seconds. Also some older
TVs don't activate the degausser if you turn them on with the remote
rather than the switch on the front, so try using that switch the next
dozen times.

The degaussing circuit can fail and gradually allow the metal screen
just behind the front of the picture tube (shadow mask) to become
magnetized. This circuit is typically controlled by a timer that
shuts off after about 2 seconds when a thermistor heats up, but the
thermistor can run hot enough to cause its solder joints to fail and
prevent the degausser from ever running, especially if the thermistor
is the type that increases in resistance (PTC, Positive Temperature
Coefficient) as it heats up. The thermistor is a common, cheap part
that looks like a disk with 2 leads on it, or it may be housed in a
small plastic container with 2-3 leads (3rd lead is for mechanical
support). A good parts supply will know what you need, and it's
important to get the right type, PTC or NTC (Negative Temperature
Coefficient), which work in opposite ways. The bottom of the circuit
board is often darkened around the thermistor, and just resoldering it
usually restores function. Or you can do without the degausser if
you're willing to occasionally degauss the TV manually. There are
handheld degaussing coils available from TV or electronics parts
supplies, or you can use a handheld bulk tape eraser. But improper
use can cause these devices to burn out (they're meant to run only
10-30 seconds and then cooled for 1-10 minutes) or make the color
worse (must not be turned on or off within 6 feet of TV). You hold
either device at least 6 feet from the TV, turn it on, and then move
it all over the screen in a wiping motion. I wouldn't let a bulk tape
eraser get closer than 3" from the screen because it's powerful that a
powerful one could damage the picture tube's internal metal screen.
Move the degausser at least 6 feet away before turning it off. The TV
can be on or off while you degauss it, but don't substitute a
permanent magnet for a degausser because that too can worsen the
picture.

Somebody suggested that the yoke may have slipped, but that tends to
cause misconvergence, where the red, green, and blue guns don't line
up properly relative to one another and cause slight color fringes
that are especially noticeable around the white lettering of any
on-screen displays (DVD player or VCR). Yokes are held in place by
rubber wedges and glue, and the adjustments are set by movable rings
with magnets in them and by small magnets glued around the yoke or
picture tube. Sometimes those magnets fall off, but if you try gluing
one back you have to orientate them correctly (top or bottom,
direction of rotation) or the picture may worsen. If you can't tell
the original position and orientation, the only way to reinstall the
magnet is with the TV turned on. But never do that because all the
high voltage exposed inside that can kill you, but even if it doesn't
it could cause you to jerk your hand and break the picture tube, which
will then like a small bomb. Flying glass can be as much a hazard as
electrocution, which doesn't downplay the dangers of high voltage.
Work on the TV only while it's unplugged (not merely turned off) and
only if you know how to work with high voltage. www.repairfaq.org has
a great deal of information about TV repair.
Jay Chan

If you have a friend lives in an apartment building, you may want to
ask if he can give his old TV to you. He may be happy to get rid of it
and get one of the fancy flat-panel screen with HDTV and such. Of
course, you need to go there to pick it up. If you feel guilty about
getting a TV for free (I don't), you can help him with something.

Jay Chan
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark" wrote in message
Average is closer to 7 or 8 years.

That can't be right. It's got to be closer to 15+.

I have 3 sets that are at least that old and the only reason I haven't

tossed
them is because they simply work.

Hell, one of the sets I use is pushing 25 years.

I have one t hat lasted less than five years bringing the average back down
quite a bit. There are exceptions and fortunately, you have one of them
One of my sets is 8 years and while it still works, it is in need of repair.
It has been sent to a little used bedroom.

As for the 25 year old set you have, it is probably better built and has
better circuitry than some of the cheapos around today.
Ed

Steve B.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:09:54 -0400, Mark wrote:

That can't be right. It's got to be closer to 15+.

I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know
if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so
many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly
depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your
house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as
televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!

Steve B
Lost-In-Translation

"Steve B." this is not my real [email protected] wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:09:54 -0400, Mark wrote:

That can't be right. It's got to be closer to 15+.

I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know
if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so
many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly
depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your
house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as
televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!

I've had the same monitor now for going on 7 years.

Steve B

Rudy

I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as
televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!

My Sony Multiscan 15SF monitor is 10 yrs old this year.(So is my Sony VCR)
Of course it cost twice what the cheapies did back then. Could get 2 17's
for the same $$ today.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve B." this is not my real [email protected] wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:09:54 -0400, Mark wrote:

That can't be right. It's got to be closer to 15+.

I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know
if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so
many times....

http://allsands.com/Home/appliancelifee_tzm_gn.htm

http://www.cccssacto.org/tips/lifeex.html

Differing opinions between 7 and 12 years.
Ed

Tony Hwang

Rudy wrote:

I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as
televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!

My Sony Multiscan 15SF monitor is 10 yrs old this year.(So is my Sony VCR)
Of course it cost twice what the cheapies did back then. Could get 2 17's
for the same $$ today.

Hi,
Wish my monitors quit(~8 years old) so I can have excuse to buy new ones.
Never had problems with them since I bought it 8 years ago.
Tony

barry martin

Steve:

SB I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know
SB if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so
SB many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly
SB depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your
SB house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as
SB televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!

Something's wrong if you are replacing your monitor every year. I've
been staring at this one for at least five years. The old terminals
at the store are at least 15 years old.

Not sure where to start looking for your problem -- perhaps a ground
loop?

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* How come wine and hard liquor doesn't come in cans, but beer does?
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
Chuck Yerkes

Well, my 1968 Sony Trinitron (mom and dad's first color) died
in 1994. Stupid sony didn't warrantee it. In memory, it was
in perfect shape. In reality, people in red would make the whole
screeen flare red.

So let me toss in 26 years to your numbers.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve B." this is not my real [email protected] wrote in message

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:09:54 -0400, Mark wrote:

That can't be right. It's got to be closer to 15+.

I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know
if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so
many times....

http://allsands.com/Home/appliancelifee_tzm_gn.htm

http://www.cccssacto.org/tips/lifeex.html

Differing opinions between 7 and 12 years.
Ed

PoCambo

From: "Jerry

I"m still running a 35 year old GE in a wood cabinet. Never been serviced
and works perfectly. I just have to use a VCR tuner to get all the cable
channels.
"Chuck Yerkes"

Tvs today are junk if you ask me,i bought a brand new RCA 25" 3 yrs ago and
only watched it like 5 hrs a day and i had to get it fixed last month,couldnt
turn the thing on, took ten minutes to see a picture.

Chuck Yerkes

barry martin wrote:

Steve:

SB I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know
SB if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so
SB many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly
SB depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your
SB house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as
SB televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!

Something's wrong if you are replacing your monitor every year. I've
been staring at this one for at least five years. The old terminals
at the store are at least 15 years old.

Yeah, I just sent a 1992 21" Sun monitor of the GirlF's work because
it pulls a bunch of power and it's a fixed sync - so it's kind of a
pain to make an x86 or Mac work with it.

Not sure where to start looking for your problem -- perhaps a ground
loop?

And I keep all my electronic equipment on a UPS (the computers and such)
or on a tripplite Isolator bar. NYC power is scary to watch on an
oscilliscope. Picked up the Tripplite from a guy who was moving for $10.

All that said, a flat panel (for none graphics designers) saves a ton
on power, and cooling in any sort of pro use (8-10hrs/day) and pays for
itself in a couple years. Having that deskspace back is nice.
barry martin

Hi Chuck!

CY barry martin wrote:
CY
CY Steve:
CY
CY SB I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't kno

CY SB if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it s

CY SB many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly
CY SB depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your
CY SB house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as
CY SB televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!
CY
CY Something's wrong if you are replacing your monitor every year. I've
CY been staring at this one for at least five years. The old terminals
CY at the store are at least 15 years old.

Should have added the store's terminals are not on any sort of surge
protection. OTOH they are IBM.....

CY Not sure where to start looking for your problem -- perhaps a ground
CY loop?
CY
CY And I keep all my electronic equipment on a UPS (the computers and such)
CY or on a tripplite Isolator bar. NYC power is scary to watch on an
CY oscilliscope. Picked up the Tripplite from a guy who was moving for $10.

Great deal!! UPSs are relatively cheap compared to the cost of
replacing damaged equipment. Provide surge protection and brownout/
blackout protection -- not fun to loose a bunch of work because
someone slammed into a pole a few blocks away, or more common here a
squirrel or bird gets too inquisitive with the transformer on the pole
in the back yard.

Also a very good idea to protect the other connections: telephone
and/or cable.

Lots of microsurges hammering at our electronic toys. I haven't
plugged my scope's probes into the outlet in some time but it
definately was not a smooth sinusoidal display!

CY All that said, a flat panel (for none graphics designers) saves a ton
CY on power, and cooling in any sort of pro use (8-10hrs/day) and pays for
CY itself in a couple years. Having that deskspace back is nice.

Plus can push the flat panel back -- as you said, gain deskspace
(there's a desk under all those papers?!) and something about my arms
are getting shorter as I age!

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Hallmark? Happy birthday!
You look great for your age...
Almost Lifelike!
---