barry martin

Default Bathroom Exhaust Fans to

M.C.:

M So I have decided to replace the overhead lights (each bathroom has vanity
M mirror lights) with exhaust fans. I'm trying to save myself the extra work
M of climbing to the roof (it's pretty high, at least for me!) to make holes
M for exhaust vents, replacing shingles, sealing, etc. I have noticed that m

M roof already has 5 exhaust vents for attic ventilation. I don't know if
M they have to be that number by code or if I can spare one and use it as an
M exit for the bathrooms' exhaust fans line (I plan on connecting the fans fo

M both bathrooms to a single exhaust line).

A single exhaust is looking for problems. The one bathroom in use
will exhaust both to the outside and into the unused bathroom. Run
individual exhausts.

As for "using an existing vent", install (two) new ones. Codes vary:
here one city will allow the exhaust tube to exit near a vent, another
requires direct exhaust to the outside. Direct to the outside is
better -- do you want all that steam in your attic? (Why is it
snowing in the attic?!) Even if your locality allows the 'near the
vent' you'd be better off to go over and above code.

M Another alternative I'm considering is connecting the exhaust line to the
M plumbing system vent. I know that sewer gas is a consideration, but the
M connection to the plumbing vent is going to be higher than the fans.

Uh, I don't think so!

As for the roof height, you'll probably be better to hire a handyman
or small-jobs contractor. They'll have the tools, know-how, and
people not afraid to work 20' above the ground. Plus insurance. For
some things it just makes sense to hire someone else to do it.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Must-read books: "The Telltale Heart" by Stefi Scope
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *