jp232

Default Shimming a Pre Hung Interior Door Questions

Hello

I am going to be installing some prehung interior doors. I've read
several articles about the procedure but leave me with a few
questions. If anyone has good knowledge of my questions I would
appreciate a tip/comment.

1) How many area's, on the hinge and striker side, should shims be
installed? Should there be 3, 5 or how many shims on each side.

2) Shim location placement. Where should the shims be located?
Should there be shims at each hinge(3 hinges total) and striker
plate?(with the remainder of the shims staggered)

Thank you for taking the time to read my post...and replying if so
inclined.

dadiOH

jp232 wrote:
Hello

I am going to be installing some prehung interior doors. I've read
several articles about the procedure but leave me with a few
questions. If anyone has good knowledge of my questions I would
appreciate a tip/comment.

1) How many area's, on the hinge and striker side, should shims be
installed? Should there be 3, 5 or how many shims on each side.

Enough so that both jambs are parallel to each other and perpendicular to
the wall and floor. The top need to be perpendicular to the wall and to the
jambs. All needs to be rigid and well secured.
_______________________

2) Shim location placement. Where should the shims be located?
Should there be shims at each hinge(3 hinges total) and striker
plate?(with the remainder of the shims staggered)

Some people fasten through the shims...that's about all you can do if you
nail. I prefer using screws. Stout ones. I place two pairs of shims close
together so that I can screw between the pairs so that I can later tweak
things by slightly tightening or loosening the screw.

You should certainly fasten above and below hinges and striker plate. As
indicated above, you have to put the others so as to get the jambs set
properly...exactly where varies because the jambs themselves vary.

Final thought: installing doors isn't easy - it requires experience and
skill so take your time and get them right.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...