Posted to alt.home.repair

Default thinking if getting Trex deck

Excuse me for posting something on topic but I've got a project guy from
Lowes coming over tomorrow to give me an estimate on getting existing
deck replaced by a Trex one.

Know these things are pricey but have talked to friends and have good
ball park idea.

Just wondered what important questions I should ask and what is it like
dealing with Lowes on a project like this.

Also know that Trex comes in three grades and early decks did not
weather as well and heard they are now vinyl clad for good sun
resistance. Wonder if cheapest grade holds up as well as best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 14:53:38 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Excuse me for posting something on topic but I've got a project guy from
Lowes coming over tomorrow to give me an estimate on getting existing
deck replaced by a Trex one.

Know these things are pricey but have talked to friends and have good
ball park idea.

Just wondered what important questions I should ask and what is it like
dealing with Lowes on a project like this.

I'd want to know the qualifications of the contractor/installer. Is
the person factory/manufacturer trained or a fly by night outfit.

A real estate agent I know ordered a glue down vinyl flooring and the
guy came with a tape down type. Not what was ordered. It was late in
the game so she accepted it for the condo to go on the market. It
worked out in the end, but wasn't what she ordered.

Also know that Trex comes in three grades and early decks did not
weather as well and heard they are now vinyl clad for good sun
resistance. Wonder if cheapest grade holds up as well as best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2017 2:53 PM, Frank wrote:
Excuse me for posting something on topic but I've got a project guy from
Lowes coming over tomorrow to give me an estimate on getting existing
deck replaced by a Trex one.

Know these things are pricey but have talked to friends and have good
ball park idea.

Just wondered what important questions I should ask and what is it like
dealing with Lowes on a project like this.

Also know that Trex comes in three grades and early decks did not
weather as well and heard they are now vinyl clad for good sun
resistance. Wonder if cheapest grade holds up as well as best.

Both Lowes and Home Depot are a crap shoot with contractors. Some good,
some much less so. I'd rather find a good local guy with
recommendations from neighbors. You can ask at the local lumberyard.

My neighbor put down Trex and he likes it. I used good wood and prefer
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2017 3:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I suspect you are right about the contractors. It is not rocket science
and I might be able to do it myself if I were 20 years younger.
Wondered if doing it through Lowes might mitigate any problem with
contractor they use. We have a fundamental distrust of contractors.
Two friends with new Trex decks like them but both had reservations
about the their contractors.

A building permit will be required and inspection by the county. They
have updated the code and my current deck while perfectly stable would
not comply. I had basically replaced it a board at a time and added
twice the supports needed so I feel safe but appearance and staining
upkeep is getting to be a chore.

I just want something maintenance free for the next 10 years which could
be a lifetime warranty for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 14:53:38 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Excuse me for posting something on topic but I've got a project guy from
Lowes coming over tomorrow to give me an estimate on getting existing
deck replaced by a Trex one.

Know these things are pricey but have talked to friends and have good
ball park idea.

Just wondered what important questions I should ask and what is it like
dealing with Lowes on a project like this.

Also know that Trex comes in three grades and early decks did not
weather as well and heard they are now vinyl clad for good sun
resistance. Wonder if cheapest grade holds up as well as best.

Definitely go for the "clad" trex. It's awsome. I have my front
porch/deck done with it and am seriously considering doing my 12X12
rear deck. The current PT SYP deck boards are deteriorating badly. On
my front porch I used Blue-Seal over the joists to protect them from
trapped water causing rot - did it 6 or 7 years ago. The only thing is
you need your joists a bit closer together than with 2X lumber - more
like with 5/4 cedar. The unclad Trex is a bit harder to keep looking
nice - can be stained - but why bother with the hassle - just spend
the extra and enjoy it. Mine is TREX Transcend if I remember
correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 12:13:13 -0700, Oren wrote:

[...]

Use the "slotted" trex for everything except the outer perimeter and
use their screw-down hidden clips. The perimeter uses some sunken
screws and (I didn't but would the next time) a few tubes of PL Glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2017 4:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

Transcend is the highest grade and Select the lowest. I do not know if
all today are cladded. I did see a Select board at Lowes but had no
other there to compare with and there was nobody there to talk to. That
is the reason I went there. Friend had told me I could see example of
their different products. I just made arrangement with sales clerk for
their man to come out tomorrow afternoon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2017 3:56 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
On 25-Apr-2017, Frank "frank wrote:

Transcend is the highest grade and Select the lowest. I do not know if
all today are cladded. I did see a Select board at Lowes but had no
other there to compare with and there was nobody there to talk to. That
is the reason I went there. Friend had told me I could see example of
their different products. I just made arrangement with sales clerk for
their man to come out tomorrow afternoon.

What is the lifetime of the "cladding"? Your future needs/wants may affect
your decision.

I won't offer an opinion on the contractor because it is a crap shoot.
Remember gets a spiff off the contractor for the referral so that affects
the price. Does that give you peace of mind in job quality or problems? IDK

I believe he said 20 year warranty flat to 10 years and then prorated.
In our late 70's that makes it a lifetime warranty.

We still have some kinks to work out but I like what he said. They use
only one decking contractor to do all their work but I will only have to
deal with Lowes and they will guarantee the work. The two friends that
had new Trex decks installed were happy with the result but could not
recommend the contractors. There are dozens of contractors in this area
recommended by the Trex site but I'd be working through them and some
you look up do not even have a business location and work out of their
house. It would be a crap shoot to deal with them.

Just as expensive as the Trex the new county code requires construction
to survive a nuclear blast. Support posts cannot rest on patio as they
do now but concrete footers must be put in. To secure to the house
would require breaking through drywall ceiling of my family room to
bolt. Longer stair steps require complete redesign. Need for building
permit and inspection at stages stretch a 2-3 day job to over 2 weeks.

Wife was not home during visit and he will have to return to see if we
can work something out. I tried to ditch the stairs because there was a
problem with stairs detaching but wife wants them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:56:50 GMT, "Tekkie®"
wrote:

On 25-Apr-2017, Frank "frank wrote:

Transcend is the highest grade and Select the lowest. I do not know if
all today are cladded. I did see a Select board at Lowes but had no
other there to compare with and there was nobody there to talk to. That
is the reason I went there. Friend had told me I could see example of
their different products. I just made arrangement with sales clerk for
their man to come out tomorrow afternoon.

What is the lifetime of the "cladding"? Your future needs/wants may affect
your decision.

I won't offer an opinion on the contractor because it is a crap shoot.
Remember gets a spiff off the contractor for the referral so that affects
the price. Does that give you peace of mind in job quality or problems? IDK

They have a 25 year waranty, and the way the "cladding" is applied I
can't see it coming off. It's molded on.

I wouldn't waste my money on the unclad trex as it has had flaking and
mold issues - which the transcend does not have.
It DOES need to be properly installed. (like any other decking)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/26/2017 07:19 PM, Frank wrote:

Just as expensive as the Trex the new county code requires
construction to survive a nuclear blast. Support posts cannot rest on
patio as they do now but concrete footers must be put in. To secure to
the house would require breaking through drywall ceiling of my family
room to bolt. Longer stair steps require complete redesign. Need for
building permit and inspection at stages stretch a 2-3 day job to over
2 weeks.

Wife was not home during visit and he will have to return to see if we
can work something out. I tried to ditch the stairs because there was
a problem with stairs detaching but wife wants them.

Beware! The residential construction business has more drunken
half-assed jack-leg hacks than any other industry.

The American Wood Council has a free guide on the proper way to build a
deck:

http://www.awc.org/codes-standards/publications/dca6

Make sure the McLowesDepot drunks you hire follow the guide and don't
pay them unless they do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think it is all clad. Exposed to elements it should be OK in sunlight
but like other plastics can suffer erosion or wearing away by things
that abraid it. Think of plastic automobile lenses.

I was unsure of the full warranty but told all grades have the same and
all appear to be cladded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When I bought mine there was Transcend with cladding and the basic
without.
It does appear all 3, Transcend, Enhance, and Select have the sealed
surface today, but without actually seeing it I cannot say foe sure.
If so, the spotting and spalling problems should be ancient history