Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stay in smaller house in nice area OR buy large fixer upper in remote woods

So my husband has experience with fixing up his grandmas house which we live
in now. For years I just didn't like the house 1023sq (2bd, 1 bath, unusable
garage, on a busy street) we have a toddler son and we are also running out of
room to put things. Collection of sheds to put our things. But we live in a
nice small community on the shoreline w/ A+ schools. We found a fixer upper
40min in the deep woods w/9acres it's 4bd 2car garage. It's a big house 3000sq
and cost less than our house now. My husband wants it and to fix it. Getting
an inspection soon. I'm nervous about it living here, there is nothing to do
and the schools are decent. So it's either pay more for our small cramped
house in a desired area or buy bigger cheaper house in remote area

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1130233-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:44:03 GMT, Lindsey
m wrote:

So my husband has experience with fixing up his grandmas house which we live
in now. For years I just didn't like the house 1023sq (2bd, 1 bath, unusable
garage, on a busy street) we have a toddler son and we are also running out of
room to put things. Collection of sheds to put our things. But we live in a
nice small community on the shoreline w/ A+ schools. We found a fixer upper
40min in the deep woods w/9acres it's 4bd 2car garage. It's a big house 3000sq
and cost less than our house now. My husband wants it and to fix it. Getting
an inspection soon. I'm nervous about it living here, there is nothing to do
and the schools are decent. So it's either pay more for our small cramped
house in a desired area or buy bigger cheaper house in remote area

Thanks for sharing.
--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2017 1:44 PM, Lindsey wrote:
[...]

It's a matter of personal preference. I suggest a list of pros and cons
to help your decision making.

I'm often mixed on a decision to move to a more rural area. I hate the
idiots on the road in most urban settings yet I like that fact I can
take a short drive to most retail businesses. Yet, I think I could never
live in a rural area due to the required driving to retail businesses
yet could enjoy the serenity of the area and part of me thinks it would
be great to have a larger home with more space to build a shop and hold
all my toys along with cheaper taxes, mortgage, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:44:03 GMT, Lindsey m wrote:

So my husband has experience with fixing up his grandmas house which we live
in now. For years I just didn't like the house 1023sq (2bd, 1 bath, unusable
garage, on a busy street) we have a toddler son and we are also running out of
room to put things. Collection of sheds to put our things. But we live in a
nice small community on the shoreline w/ A+ schools. We found a fixer upper
40min in the deep woods w/9acres it's 4bd 2car garage. It's a big house 3000sq
and cost less than our house now. My husband wants it and to fix it. Getting
an inspection soon. I'm nervous about it living here, there is nothing to do
and the schools are decent. So it's either pay more for our small cramped
house in a desired area or buy bigger cheaper house in remote area

Is there a question in there? You know this ain't facebook.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 15:40:06 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:44:03 GMT, Lindsey m wrote:

So my husband has experience with fixing up his grandmas house which we live
in now. For years I just didn't like the house 1023sq (2bd, 1 bath, unusable
garage, on a busy street) we have a toddler son and we are also running out of
room to put things. Collection of sheds to put our things. But we live in a
nice small community on the shoreline w/ A+ schools. We found a fixer upper
40min in the deep woods w/9acres it's 4bd 2car garage. It's a big house 3000sq
and cost less than our house now. My husband wants it and to fix it. Getting
an inspection soon. I'm nervous about it living here, there is nothing to do
and the schools are decent. So it's either pay more for our small cramped
house in a desired area or buy bigger cheaper house in remote area

Is there a question in there? You know this ain't facebook.

She was just sharing, like people really care or can influence what
she does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Aw, come on Oren, I know you care as much as I do -- maybe more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Damn , nearly gagged on that one . And I care less than either of you .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Both have good and bad points. Your house is, IMO, bare minimum for a
small family but it can be done and had been done,

Bigger house is nice, but how far is deep in the woods? I don't mind a
drive to get a loaf of bread, when i worked it was 24 miles. For me not
a big deal but not everyone can handle it.

Bigger house = bigger heating bills too so be sure to factor all of
that. If I found it affordable, I'd go for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 12:44:07 PM UTC-5, Lindsey wrote:
So my husband has experience with fixing up his grandmas house which we live
in now. For years I just didn't like the house 1023sq (2bd, 1 bath, unusable
garage, on a busy street) we have a toddler son and we are also running out of
room to put things. Collection of sheds to put our things. But we live in a
nice small community on the shoreline w/ A+ schools. We found a fixer upper
40min in the deep woods w/9acres it's 4bd 2car garage. It's a big house 3000sq
and cost less than our house now. My husband wants it and to fix it. Getting
an inspection soon. I'm nervous about it living here, there is nothing to do
and the schools are decent. So it's either pay more for our small cramped
house in a desired area or buy bigger cheaper house in remote area
--

Do you plan on having more children? I'm one of 9 and I grew up in both a small town and in a rural area on top of a mountain. I was tortured by nuns in the Catholic parochial gulag and by psychos in the government interment camps (public schools). Good schools with good teachers are the most important thing a kid can be exposed to. Stay far away from the thug babysitting services. As you may have heard before,"It's for the children." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Educated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:44:03 GMT, Lindsey
m wrote in

So it's either pay more for our small cramped
house in a desired area or buy bigger cheaper house in remote area

Go for the bigger house in the rural area. It's a better way to raise
kids. We did the same thing 30 years ago and never regretted it.

Don't worry about the schools. If your kids are smart and you are
diligent about their learning, the school won't matter.