Posted to alt.home.repair

Default nice when something actually works

have to get the lawn mowed today and so
pulled the mower out of the shed, changed
the oil, topped off the gas... started on
first pull.

luckily i do not have to do the mowing
(yet).

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2017 6:49 AM, songbird wrote:
have to get the lawn mowed today and so
pulled the mower out of the shed, changed
the oil, topped off the gas... started on
first pull.

luckily i do not have to do the mowing
(yet).

songbird

I learned years ago, the hard way, that you make sure your mower is OK a
few weeks before needing. Mine would not start one year when I needed
it and backlog was 3 weeks in the mower shop.

Another shop told me it is the same way with snow-throwers and generators.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/24/2017 06:44 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Another shop told me it is the same way with snow-throwers and generators.

Considering generators, I went out of town during a power outage. When I
got back I could tell the outage was over. It was quiet.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The Bible is a book that has been read more and examined less than any
book that ever existed." [The Theological Works of Thomas Paine]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2017 9:17 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/24/2017 06:44 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Another shop told me it is the same way with snow-throwers and
generators.

Considering generators, I went out of town during a power outage. When I
got back I could tell the outage was over. It was quiet.

I would check my generator every few months but we seem to have enough
outages around here that I have to run it every few months. It does get
noisy around here as all my neighbors have them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
songbird wrote:

have to get the lawn mowed today and so
pulled the mower out of the shed, changed
the oil, topped off the gas... started on
first pull.

luckily i do not have to do the mowing
(yet).

I learned years ago, the hard way, that you make sure your mower is OK a
few weeks before needing. Mine would not start one year when I needed
it and backlog was 3 weeks in the mower shop.

she who mows wants to buy a new one.
this one has worked very well for some years
now. it did need a new carb put on it and
that has been all done to it other than new
blades or me sharpening them once in a while.

it does need some work (rusted cables need
to be replaced) but i want to do that service
run after the season is over. that will be
a good time to take it to the shop before we
put it away for the winter.

Another shop told me it is the same way with snow-throwers and generators.

hmm, may rethink timing, but if i take it any
other time then it means we may get stuck without
a mower when we need it. where we stored it for
the winter meant it wasn't coming out very easy
any time. this coming winter i hope we'll have
more room in the garage instead of stuffing it
in the garden shed.

songbird

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:26:14 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Frank wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

My "daily driver" mower is a late forties or early fifties vintage
24 inch self propelled Yazoo Big Wheel style mower (sold by Pro Inc in
Shreveport La) that had a 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 HP Briggs on it when I bought
it back about 1987? I blew it up and put on a 6.5HP Bolton "CHONDA"
engine. I just replaced the spindle bearings for the second time, and
a number of years back I replaced the rusted mild steel sheet metal
deck with stainless steel (now I need to wear shades when I mow!!)

My "backup" mower is a 1957 Lawn King 19 or 20 ich job with a Lauson
engine.

Both started on the second pull this spring. I got the big one out
early because I knew the spindle was getting rough and the blade
needed balancing (likely what took out the bearing) - and I didn't
know how much time I was going to need to get it beetenapart and put
back together.
Likely another couple weeks before I need to cut the grass.

The generator starts on Propane, so I don't need to worry about stale
gas or bunged up carbs. For long term use I connect it to the natural
gas line. (reduced output though)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Frank wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

Best thing is to run dry then like propane there is nothing to go bad.

My snow-thrower recommends running dry or storing with stabilized gas.
First years I ran dry but then stored with stabilized gas but it would
not start. Fine reading of manual says to use gas without ethanol which
is only available in marine supplies as apparently it attacks seals.
Also a friend told me that gas sitting in carburetors of some machines
can evaporate gumming it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Frank wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

I just counted the mowers... 7 of them now, I've got my favorite,
short handle, easy to push, easy to adjust, non clogging. Lawnmowers
and stray puppies, to good to go the junkyard or dog pound? I'm the guy
that takes them in. Now what I'm finding is the new B&S carb's are bad
about the main jet clogging, I don't see a filter or screen like the old
carburetors had. Nothing to prevent the smallest dirt particle from
blocking the jets. Maybe a filter of some kind in the tank? I've fixed
a couple of those already. Good clean non ethanol gas and a shot of
carb cleaner first start of the season helps a lot of balky
mowers/generators/weed trimmers/chainsaws and I suppose snow blowers
get back on their feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

My snow-thrower recommends running dry or storing with stabilized gas.
First years I ran dry but then stored with stabilized gas but it would
not start. Fine reading of manual says to use gas without ethanol which
is only available in marine supplies as apparently it attacks seals.
Also a friend told me that gas sitting in carburetors of some machines
can evaporate gumming it up.

I have a tiller for the garden I run one or two days a year. I always
run it dry. Put in fresh gas with out that ethanol in it. Well, the gas
has been in a can for several months, from the last time I bought gas
for the mower (no snow blowing or anything in the winter months) with
stabil in it.

The tiller will start with one pull. Has done it for the last 10 years.

My 2 cycle leaf blower sits with the gas whever I left it from the fall
to the spring, several months. It takes 2 or 3 pulls to start like it
has from the time it was new. It has the ethanol free gas, stabil and
oil mix in it. Been doing that for over 10 years also.

All the small engines I have get the ethanol free gas with stabil in it
now and sofar no problems.

I did have a 5 kw generator that I used the gas with the ethanol in it
at one time. Every time I wanted to use it, the thing was gummed up and
would not start. I would have to clean all the 'green gook' from the
carborator and it would start with 2 pulls with fresh gas. I now drain
and run it dry and use the ethanol free gas in it.

Have you checked out this sight for the EF gas ?

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/24/2017 12:47 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

The generator starts on Propane, so I don't need to worry about stale
gas or bunged up carbs. For long term use I connect it to the natural
gas line. (reduced output though)

Best thing is to run dry then like propane there is nothing to go bad.

I've been doing that for awhile, for both mover and generator. It stops
cleanly on propane (a second or 2 after I close the valve). With
gasoline it hesitates a lot, and takes up to 2 minutes to quit.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The Bible is a book that has been read more and examined less than any
book that ever existed." [The Theological Works of Thomas Paine]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 06:49:33 -0400, songbird
wrote:

have to get the lawn mowed today and so
pulled the mower out of the shed, changed
the oil, topped off the gas... started on
first pull.

luckily i do not have to do the mowing
(yet).

songbird

I know what you mean about working when you need it. I have 3 pipe
cutters for small pipes. First try -- one broke, another cut the
pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 6:49:48 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
have to get the lawn mowed today and so
pulled the mower out of the shed, changed
the oil, topped off the gas... started on
first pull.

luckily i do not have to do the mowing
(yet).

songbird

After a recent windstorm I needed to cut up some downed limbs. I haven't used the
chainsaw in probably 3 years. I recall that the last time I used it, it ran like crap.

What the heck, let's give it a try. I mixed up some gas, topped off the bar oil and pressed
the primer bubble a few times. 2 pulls later, I'm cutting wood. Smooth and strong.

Color me surprised.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Frank wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

My snowblower has a valve that drains the carb and the line. It's a
YammerHammer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®"
Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:14:09 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 24-Apr-2017, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Color me surprised.

I can't visualize that color? Can you help me with that? Maybe
wrecked cars could be painted this color. The owner picks it up
and says "I'm surprised" You could make bucks off the paint
companies. (g)

Perhaps it's like a train wreck? Or a completely destroyed car/truck on
the interstate. To the point where you're not sure it was a truck vs a
car to begin with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/26/2017 08:13 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

Perhaps it's like a train wreck? Or a completely destroyed car/truck on
the interstate. To the point where you're not sure it was a truck vs a
car to begin with.

There's one place around here, where the highway goes over a hill and
then you have to slow down for a city. I found a cube of metal there
once (it looked like a Borg Cube)
http://www.startrek.com/database_article/borg-cube, but smaller.
Evidence suggested it used to be a small pickup.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If I had power over the Jews, as our princes and cities have, I would
deal severely with their lying mouth." [Martin Luther,"On the Jews and
Their Lies",1543]

nice [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 22nd 08 01:54 AM
nice [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 January 20th 08 02:07 AM
nice [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 20th 08 02:05 AM
WOW-eee, did this come out nice! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 15 January 19th 08 05:13 PM
nice [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 17th 08 01:44 AM