Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Renting a car?

OT Renting a car.

I can count the number of times I've rented a car on two hands,
probalby one hand, and I have two questions.

1) The tires have not reached the supposed "must replace" level,
where the the tread is the same height as set of rubber bands that go
from one side of the tread to the other (I'm sure there's a name for
this), but the tread is only about twice that deep.

Somewhere I got the idea that major car rental companies replaced the
tires will before this level**. Am I wrong about that? **(and
that's one source of used tires).

To be fair, it's not going to rain much this month and iiuc that's
when one really needs deep tread, but I could be wrong about that
too????

2) This time I'm confused.

The day I picked it up on March 9 3/9 they put a charge in for
2400, the 1600 rental plus 800 possible damage. But didn't actually
collect any money.
Then on 4/6, same amount, 2400, also not collected.
Then on 4/14, $636, which is one month's rent, but not collected**.
Then on 4/21, $636, and finally they collected that amount -- the
bank actually paid them -- a month and 12 days after I picked up the
car.

Is this normal behaviour for a car rental place? If not typical, is
there a good reason to do all this? I would expect the first 2400 to
be a hold, so there would be no need for the second, and I'd expect
the monthly charge to be made on the 9th day of the next month, since
I picked the car up on the 9th. (But not the 14th or the 21st.)

**Actually I was sure that the previous charge had been paid =- that
was only a month and 5 days after I picked up the car, but maybe they
reversed that charge and charged it again 7 days later?

They also emailed me at about 30 days to call them and tell them my
mileage, but when she looked it up, she decided I didn't have to tell
them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:37:12 +0300
Micky wrote:

[...]

ask the rental company

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:37:12 +0300, Micky wrote:

1) The tires have not reached the supposed "must replace" level,
where the the tread is the same height as set of rubber bands that go
from one side of the tread to the other (I'm sure there's a name for
this), but the tread is only about twice that deep.

Somewhere I got the idea that major car rental companies replaced the
tires will before this level**. Am I wrong about that? **(and
that's one source of used tires).

I doubt companies like Hertz keep cars long enough to wear out tires.
They generally replace them on a 2 year cycle or when they get into
the 40-50k miles range. Rental cars do not usually rack up that many
miles. My next door neighbor is the lot manager for Hertz headquarters
and he just got a 2015 Chrysler 300 with 20k miles from the used car
operation. ($14k)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:36:54 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/22/2017 12:27 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:37:12 +0300, Micky wrote:

1) The tires have not reached the supposed "must replace" level,
where the the tread is the same height as set of rubber bands that go
from one side of the tread to the other (I'm sure there's a name for
this), but the tread is only about twice that deep.

Somewhere I got the idea that major car rental companies replaced the
tires will before this level**. Am I wrong about that? **(and
that's one source of used tires).

I doubt companies like Hertz keep cars long enough to wear out tires.
They generally replace them on a 2 year cycle or when they get into
the 40-50k miles range. Rental cars do not usually rack up that many
miles. My next door neighbor is the lot manager for Hertz headquarters
and he just got a 2015 Chrysler 300 with 20k miles from the used car
operation. ($14k)

Last car I rented, a Toyota Camry, showed tire pressures ranging over 10
lbs difference. One needed air but it did not tell which one so I had
to check all of them.

Reminds me of time I bought a new Subaru and after putting over 1,000
miles on it found all tires inflated 10 lbs above recommendation. When
I asked dealer why he said they came like that so they would not need
inflation in his remote lot. Now they inflate tires a few lbs higher
than recommended because of those damn pressure lights.

I always inflate my tires a little over recommended because they
handle better that way and the tires last longer. They don't ride
quite as cushy.

On my truck, with oversized tires, getting the pressure right is
tricky. It's a little Ford Ranger that came with 14" "scooter wheels"
and now has 235/70 16s on it that look like they actually fit the
wheel wells.26PSI seams about right when the truck is empty, and with
50 20 liter bags of top soil (basically full to the top of the box)
the springs wend down a couple inches this morning, but the tires
looked perfectly happy and it rides like a dream!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:27:33 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:37:12 +0300, Micky wrote:

1) The tires have not reached the supposed "must replace" level,
where the the tread is the same height as set of rubber bands that go
from one side of the tread to the other (I'm sure there's a name for
this), but the tread is only about twice that deep.

Somewhere I got the idea that major car rental companies replaced the
tires will before this level**. Am I wrong about that? **(and
that's one source of used tires).

I doubt companies like Hertz keep cars long enough to wear out tires.

It's Budget. I guess the name alone implies they keep them longer.
I ignored the owers manual because it's too long to read and it's in a
foreign language, but I will look at it to see what year car it is.

They used to emboss the year of American cars on tail light lenses,
and that was great, but I don't think they do it anymore.

They generally replace them on a 2 year cycle or when they get into
the 40-50k miles range.

This car doesn't have any miles on it. Only km, whatever that is.

..... My friend tells me you can convert km to miles, so when I'm in
the car, I'll write down what the number is.

Rental cars do not usually rack up that many
miles. My next door neighbor is the lot manager for Hertz headquarters
and he just got a 2015 Chrysler 300 with 20k miles from the used car
operation. ($14k)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Those mandated pressure gauges where light comes on and something reads
low are a PITA. Cost my wife $200 on her Subaru to replace a faulty
one. I'd have probably put a piece of tape over the light. My brother
worked for a dealer that could not find a fault when a warning light
turned on so the dealer just removed the sensor.

New cars with service warnings take a dealer to turn off. PITA if you
change your own oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Ugh. Terrible.

This Kia Piccanto, requires your foot on the brake to go into
reverse. Probably a good idea. Also to go into Park.

So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 21:40:32 +0300
Micky wrote:

So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

You would rather throw it into park while it is rolling?

WTF????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 12:40 PM, Micky wrote:
So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

How the hell do they let you out alone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:

So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

You would rather throw it into park while it is rolling?

WTF????

Hey, it's a rental. Micky doesn't care if the park pawls wind up on the
bottom of the transmission case. People like him are the best argument
why you shouldn't but rental vehicles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 20:12:14 +0300, Micky wrote:

This car doesn't have any miles on it. Only km, whatever that is.

40KM is 25 miles, work it out from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 19:16:06 GMT, "Tekkie®"
wrote:

On 22-Apr-2017, Micky wrote:

This Kia Piccanto, requires your foot on the brake to go into
reverse. Probably a good idea. Also to go into Park.

So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

I believe all cars are like this now-but I'm not putting money on it.
I guess you don't use the PARKING brake either...

Sometimes I do, if the situation calls for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:

So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

You would rather throw it into park while it is rolling?

WTF????

Hey, it's a rental. Micky doesn't care if the park pawls wind up on the
bottom of the transmission case.

Not so. Of course I care. And I normally wouldn't stop the car
without putting in Park either, but for some reason I've done that 2
or more times in the last month with this car, and 2 of those times it
started to roll

I'd rather be able to put it into park without having first to get
myself into the drivers seat, while it's continuiing to roll, pick up
speed, and hit another car or person.

And I presume you'd prefer that too if you weren't in Internet dump
mode.

People like him are the best argument

What crap. I take very good care of the car, probably better than you
treat rentals. If you can't see why it's better the way I want it, I
hope it's only because you're in Intenet dump/jerk mode, which is a
terrible place to be btw. .

why you shouldn't but rental vehicles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 02:52 PM, Micky wrote:
Not so. Of course I care. And I normally wouldn't stop the car
without putting in Park either, but for some reason I've done that 2
or more times in the last month with this car, and 2 of those times it
started to roll

Perhaps you should see your physician. Next you'll be leaving it in D
and jumping out.

I'd rather be able to put it into park without having first to get
myself into the drivers seat, while it's continuiing to roll, pick up
speed, and hit another car or person.

And I presume you'd prefer that too if you weren't in Internet dump
mode.

I'd prefer to put it in park before exiting.

What crap. I take very good care of the car, probably better than you
treat rentals. If you can't see why it's better the way I want it, I
hope it's only because you're in Intenet dump/jerk mode, which is a
terrible place to be btw. .

Learn to drive. I'm always in dump mode.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank "frank news Apr 2017 17:57:05 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

New cars with service warnings take a dealer to turn off. PITA if
you change your own oil.

Not exactly. You can acquire the scanner and do it yourself. It may not
be worth the cost, but, you can do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2017 2:40 PM, Micky wrote:

So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

Why not just put it in P when you stop? I always did it that way and
never had a car roll away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2017 11:37 AM, Micky wrote:
OT Renting a car.

I can count the number of times I've rented a car on two hands,
probalby one hand, and I have two questions.

1) The tires have not reached the supposed "must replace" level,
where the the tread is the same height as set of rubber bands that go
from one side of the tread to the other (I'm sure there's a name for
this), but the tread is only about twice that deep.

Somewhere I got the idea that major car rental companies replaced the
tires will before this level**. Am I wrong about that? **(and
that's one source of used tires).

To be fair, it's not going to rain much this month and iiuc that's
when one really needs deep tread, but I could be wrong about that
too????

Wear bars serve a purpose. Tires are legal until they wear to that
point. Nokian tires actually have measurement nubs that tell you how
much tread is left. Does not seem cost effective to replace until you
are close to the wear bars,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2017 1:12 PM, Micky wrote:

They used to emboss the year of American cars on tail light lenses,
and that was great, but I don't think they do it anymore.

Really? Never saw that on any of my cars, first one being a '53 Mercury.

This car doesn't have any miles on it. Only km, whatever that is.

.... My friend tells me you can convert km to miles, so when I'm in
the car, I'll write down what the number is.

Multiply by .62 to get miles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2017 5:13 PM, Diesel wrote:
Frank "frank news Apr 2017 17:57:05 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

New cars with service warnings take a dealer to turn off. PITA if
you change your own oil.

Not exactly. You can acquire the scanner and do it yourself. It may not
be worth the cost, but, you can do it.

With new car, synthetic oil, retired and driving less, I quit changing
my own oil. Had to take my 1 yr. old car in for first oil change last
month. All the lights had come on, oil, tires, whatever. When I went
to leave, one light came on and I went back in to get a guy to shut it
off. Think he had to walk counter clockwise around the car reciting the
Hail Mary in French while pushing the open door on the key 10 times.
Seriously it must have taken him 5 minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

As does virtually every automatic transmission sold in North America
since at leat the late eighties. (mabee not into reverse, on some -
but definitely into Park - and out of park too.

So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

You are SUPPOSED to use the parking brake, and also put it in park
before shutting it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 19:01:01 GMT, "Tekkie®"
wrote:

On 22-Apr-2017, wrote:

I always inflate my tires a little over recommended because they
handle better that way and the tires last longer. They don't ride
quite as cushy.

On my truck, with oversized tires, getting the pressure right is
tricky. It's a little Ford Ranger that came with 14" "scooter wheels"
and now has 235/70 16s on it that look like they actually fit the
wheel wells.26PSI seams about right when the truck is empty, and with
50 20 liter bags of top soil (basically full to the top of the box)
the springs wend down a couple inches this morning, but the tires
looked perfectly happy and it rides like a dream!!!

Clare, did you see that Ford is going to make the Ranger again? I tried to
get a used one but nothing out there. I don't even know if I fit in it.

I also have my tires slightly overinflated. A tread depth indicator is a
help. I don't need a cushy ride either.

Yes, the new Ranger will be a bit bigger - basically the size the
F150 started out as or just a bit smaller - like a Canyon. I lucked
into my Ranger 5 years ago. Looked like it just left the showroom
floor with 307000Km on it. Paid $1500 for it including cap and
bed-liner with a bad clutch release cyl. I replaced the whole clutch.
It needed a windsheild - got an OEM one installed for under $300.

Still has original rear brakes and headlight bulbs,(along with
virtually everything else except front brakes and U-Joints.)

see it at:
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...dex.php?n=2183
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 22-Apr-2017, Micky wrote:

This Kia Piccanto, requires your foot on the brake to go into
reverse. Probably a good idea. Also to go into Park.

So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

I believe all cars are like this now-but I'm not putting money on it.
I guess you don't use the PARKING brake either...

Sometimes I do, if the situation calls for it.

Parking in Neutral ALWAYS calls for it - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:

[...]

Much better than being in total idiot mode - which sadly seems to be
your permanent residence, Mikey.
It's hard to believe you've reached your current age without some
serious occurrence!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:46:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/22/2017 2:40 PM, Micky wrote:

So when I turn the car off while it's in Neutral, and I get out of the
car, and it starts rolling, I have to get back in the car while it's
rolling to put my foot on the brake to shift into Park!

Why not just put it in P when you stop? I always did it that way and
never had a car roll away.

You ask Mikey WHY???
After the questions he's been asking this last week??? Must be
something in the Danish water - mabee Akvavit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:58:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

The Hakapelitta tires even have numbers on them that tell how many mm
of tread are left!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 19:08:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/22/2017 1:12 PM, Micky wrote:

They used to emboss the year of American cars on tail light lenses,
and that was great, but I don't think they do it anymore.

Really? Never saw that on any of my cars, first one being a '53 Mercury.

Actually on a 53 Merc it was there.

This car doesn't have any miles on it. Only km, whatever that is.

.... My friend tells me you can convert km to miles, so when I'm in
the car, I'll write down what the number is.

Multiply by .62 to get miles.

Mikey is very well read, it appears - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 19:15:34 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/22/2017 5:13 PM, Diesel wrote:
Frank "frank news Apr 2017 17:57:05 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

New cars with service warnings take a dealer to turn off. PITA if
you change your own oil.

Not exactly. You can acquire the scanner and do it yourself. It may not
be worth the cost, but, you can do it.

With new car, synthetic oil, retired and driving less, I quit changing
my own oil. Had to take my 1 yr. old car in for first oil change last
month. All the lights had come on, oil, tires, whatever. When I went
to leave, one light came on and I went back in to get a guy to shut it
off. Think he had to walk counter clockwise around the car reciting the
Hail Mary in French while pushing the open door on the key 10 times.
Seriously it must have taken him 5 minutes.

Way back in the seventies Toyota had a switch in the Odometer that
tripped turning on the "service engine soon" light. It was a SPDT
switch, and there was another one on the side of the steering column
above the brake pedal that you had to flip to shut it off. If you
flipped it 100 miles before the required oil change, it came on in 100
miles - -. That only lasted a few years before they deleted it,
thankfully.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 7:08:10 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/22/2017 1:12 PM, Micky wrote:

They used to emboss the year of American cars on tail light lenses,
and that was great, but I don't think they do it anymore.

Really? Never saw that on any of my cars, first one being a '53 Mercury.

Really. If you don't believe Micky (not that anyone would blame you)
ask this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CM10GD-.../dp/B00G5R4E9A

I remember it well.

This car doesn't have any miles on it. Only km, whatever that is.

.... My friend tells me you can convert km to miles, so when I'm in
the car, I'll write down what the number is.

Multiply by .62 to get miles.

The scary part of his post was: "Only km, whatever that is."

He needed someone to tell him that you can convert km to miles. Holy
crap!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 4:53:26 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 16:15:06 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 20:12:14 +0300, Micky wrote:

This car doesn't have any miles on it. Only km, whatever that is.

40KM is 25 miles, work it out from there.

Okay. It may take me a couple days.

I'm guessing it'll take you a lifetime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 17:57:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

It's getting to the point that NOTHING surprises me with him any more
- - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 9:04:24 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/22/2017 8:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/22/2017 06:08 PM, wrote:
You are SUPPOSED to use the parking brake, and also put it in park
before shutting it off.

Most of the time... I tend not to use the parking brake in the winter.
Bad memories.

Or after driving in rain when the temperature dropped at night. BTDT

My Genesis has a feature called "Auto Hold". when you stop, the brakes
will stay so you can take your foot off the brake pedal. When you put
it in Park, it electronically sets the parking brake.

The Auto Hold feature is really nice in traffic. Comes off very smooth
when you press the gas pedal.

I had a 86 Subaru with a Hill Holder Clutch. On a incline of at least (I forget
how many) degrees, you would depress the brake and the clutch. You could then
release the brake and it would stay on until the clutch was high enough to engage the tranny and begin to move the car forward. No more rolling backward
or stalling and a lot less wear on the clutch.

If I recall correctly, they did with a ball inside the master cylinder
that would roll backward and seal something. I forget what made it release
once the vehicle had started moving, since you were often still on a hill.

I recently saw a commercial where some new vehicle had that feature. I'm sure
it's computer controlled now, not mechanical like back in the 80's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It does seem to be getting worse. Maybe we are witnessing a downward
spiral.

Renting out a house Bill[_18_] UK diy 42 September 16th 16 05:20 PM
Old wiring and renting bm[_2_] UK diy 7 October 30th 13 04:21 PM
OT - Renting Out Property TheScullster UK diy 31 August 7th 12 12:43 PM
OT Renting a car mm Home Repair 57 May 8th 07 02:47 PM
Looking for a townhouse or renting out yours? amos Home Repair 0 March 19th 07 08:56 AM