Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Renting a car?

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:18:44 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 4/26/2017 4:19 AM, David B. wrote:
On 26/04/2017 02:36, Diesel wrote:

I don't like to run any of my vehicles that low on gas for any
length of time because it's hard on the fuel pump to do so.

Would you care to explain the logic behind that statement?

I don't know if he is correct, but a lot of people would agree with
that. The pump is cooled by the gas in the tank and if it gets low the
pump could run hotter.
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/why-fuel-pumps-fail

In saw more in-tank pumps go bad due to clogged up fuel filters, in part
because of rust caused by condensation from tanks always being run low. A
full tank keeps the condensation low. Ethanol adds to the problem by
mixing that rusty water in with the gasoline so the filter catches it and
gets clogged up, causing the pump to have to work harder to deliver the
gas.

BTW, I wrote this before clacking on your link, so, sorry for being
redundant! [g]

On the other hand the ethanol gets the water out right away instead of
allowing it to collect in the bottom of the tank. Condensation is not
as big a deal these days since tanks are not freely vented to air.
They breathe through a carbon filter.

That's true. When the ethanol was first introduced it caused a lot of
problems until most of the water was gone from the tanks. Not only your
vehicles, but the storage tanks at gas stations as well. Evap systems
have helped big too.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26/04/2017 14:25, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/26/2017 4:19 AM, David B. wrote:
On 26/04/2017 02:36, Diesel wrote:

I don't like to run any of my vehicles that low on gas for any
length of time because it's hard on the fuel pump to do so.

Would you care to explain the logic behind that statement?

I don't know if he is correct, but a lot of people would agree with
that. The pump is cooled by the gas in the tank and if it gets low the
pump could run hotter.
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/why-fuel-pumps-fail

I've read much about this topic today, Ed. I've learned a great deal
too. Things have changed a great deal since I was a youngster!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. :-)

--
David B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:53:57 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...

On the other hand the ethanol gets the water out right away instead of
allowing it to collect in the bottom of the tank. Condensation is not
as big a deal these days since tanks are not freely vented to air.
They breathe through a carbon filter.

That's true. When the ethanol was first introduced it caused a lot of
problems until most of the water was gone from the tanks. Not only your
vehicles, but the storage tanks at gas stations as well. Evap systems
have helped big too.

This is a constant argument among boaters. Guys say "I put a tank of
E-10 in my boat and had troubles" but the people who use it all the
time don't have any trouble at all.
The only warning is it did attack some kinds of plastic and you
definitely do not want to store it too long. As long as you buy it and
burn it right away you will be fine.
I am old enough to remember lots of pure gas turning to varnish and
gumming up carbs. It was not a panacea
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

I have a bit of a bitch about my boat motor, but it's not so much the gas
I use, but the fact that it's oil injected. You cant just pull the fuel
line and run the carbs out of gas at the end of the season, so unless you
run it every once in a while in the off season the fuel and oil mixture
gels up regardless of the ethanol. Even the use of stabil doesn't help
much.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski news Wed, 26 Apr 2017 13:25:42 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 4/26/2017 4:19 AM, David B. wrote:
On 26/04/2017 02:36, Diesel wrote:

I don't like to run any of my vehicles that low on gas for any
length of time because it's hard on the fuel pump to do so.

Would you care to explain the logic behind that statement?

I don't know if he is correct, but a lot of people would agree
with that. The pump is cooled by the gas in the tank and if it
gets low the pump could run hotter.
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/why-fuel-pumps-fail

Part of the pump assembly contains a sealed up electric motor that uses
the fuel around it as an external source of coolant. IE: takes heat
away from it. As a result, the electric motor lasts longer. It doesn't
take a rocket scientist to realize electric motors and heat don't go
well together over time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RonNNN
Wed, 26
Apr 2017 14:18:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[...]

Ethanol also eats away the plastic tubing found on the fuel pump, if
the fuel pump is pre-ethanol days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2017 3:22 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the garage
under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people have been killed
from it.

Cite please.

Don't you ever read the news? I've seen at least three reports and a
bunch more it you Google it.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/national/ke...rs-slow-to-act

http://www.wyff4.com/article/police-...deaths/7004692

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...005-story.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2017 4:48 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
On 26-Apr-2017, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the garage
under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people have been
killed
from it.

Cite please.

Don't you ever read the news? I've seen at least three reports and a
bunch more it you Google it.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/national/ke...rs-slow-to-act

http://www.wyff4.com/article/police-...deaths/7004692

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...005-story.html

Yeah, current stuff from 2013... My take is 3 out of how many? Age
demographics. No carbon monoxide detectors. How many of keyed ignitions vs
keyless? Do you have one of these vehicles? It's called accidental or
suicide for a reason. Can't account for everything.

There has been at least 18 deaths so far. My car will make a sound if
you close the door with fob in your pocket out of the car and car
running. Some people leave their keys in the car all the time.

My last 3 cars have been keyless and I've survinved
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/17 3:22 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the garage
under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people have been killed
from it.

Cite please.

No need, it's Darwin at work...

--
If America was a tree, the liberals would root for the termites.
- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 4:27:39 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
Ed Pawlowski news Wed, 26 Apr 2017 13:25:42 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 4/26/2017 4:19 AM, David B. wrote:
On 26/04/2017 02:36, Diesel wrote:

I don't like to run any of my vehicles that low on gas for any
length of time because it's hard on the fuel pump to do so.

Would you care to explain the logic behind that statement?

I don't know if he is correct, but a lot of people would agree
with that. The pump is cooled by the gas in the tank and if it
gets low the pump could run hotter.
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/why-fuel-pumps-fail

Part of the pump assembly contains a sealed up electric motor that uses
the fuel around it as an external source of coolant. IE: takes heat
away from it. As a result, the electric motor lasts longer. It doesn't
take a rocket scientist to realize electric motors and heat don't go
well together over time.

It is true that "Part of the pump assembly contains a sealed up electric
motor that uses the fuel around it as an external source of coolant" but
that doesn't - in and of itself - mean that driving with low fuel is bad
for the pump.

Earlier you said:

"I don't like to run any of my vehicles that low on gas for any length
of time..."

Well. obviously, you can't run them very long because you'll run out
of gas, but that's not my point.

What is your definition of "low"? Do you know at what level of fuel the
cooling ability is reduced to such an extent that it is damaging
the pump? Sure, a full tank can theoretically absorb more heat from
the pump than a 1/4 tank, but does that amount of reduction make a
difference? Does damage start to occur at 1/8 tank? 1/16?

What about the ambient temperature of the fuel? Should you always run
at least a half tank in the summer but a half gallon is enough in the
winter?

My point is that unless you know what is considered "low" for your brand
of pump in your specific gas tank, your statement that "electric motors
and heat don't go well together over time" may well be true but may also
not be relevant in this situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:19:19 +0100, "David B."
wrote:

On 26/04/2017 02:36, Diesel wrote:

I don't like to run any of my vehicles that low on gas for any
length of time because it's hard on the fuel pump to do so.

Would you care to explain the logic behind that statement?

Tank mounted fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel, and at least on some
of the earlier ones, running low on fuel was blamed for shortening the
life of the pumps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Ethanol is sorta half OK when it's warm, but the amount of water it
cam hold in suspension drops precipitously when it cools off, which
can dump the water into the bottom of the tank all at once when it
cools down. Called Phase separation, or Dropout. Go to start the cold
vehicle and the engine gets a slug of water into the pump p- and the
injectors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:22:06 GMT, "Tekkie®"
wrote:

On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the garage
under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people have been killed
from it.

Cite please.

I won't look it up for you, but there were several cases this last
winter blamed on the car not being shut off in the garage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®"
Wed, 26 Apr 2017 20:51:22 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 26-Apr-2017, Diesel wrote:

Part of the pump assembly contains a sealed up electric motor
that uses the fuel around it as an external source of coolant.
IE: takes heat away from it. As a result, the electric motor
lasts longer. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize
electric motors and heat don't go well together over time.

It also means that as the fuel level drops the engine will starve
and stop running. This was also debunked by a pump manufacturer as
seen on MotorWeek on TV.

No, it won't. The pickup is towards the bottom of the tank. Your engine
might die if the pickup can't get the last drop, but, since it's a
pressurized system these days, that shouldn't happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03
Wed, 26
Apr 2017 23:09:45 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[...]

No coolant, sealed electric motor. No way to cool off, runs hotter.
Over time, causing winding insulation failure. As a result, weaker
motor. As a result, weaker fuel delivery. Over time, engine may
continue to start and idle, but, it won't keep running if you try to
put it under load, because the fuel pressure required to do it is no
longer available. You may also notice 'hard starts' as the fuel pump
gets weaker, but, otherwise, your vehicle for the most part, acts
normally.

You may also notice lag/hesitation when you get on the gas going down
the road and wrongly assume you just have bad gas. If you can rule
out the bad gas and other electrical/fuel mixture issues (sensors,
etc) you have the first signs of a fuel pump going down on you.

Eventually leading up to a ******* of a time starting it, idling semi
fine/fine, yet, won't continue running if placed under load. At this
point, fuel pump is almost shot, outright. It'll get worse to the
point where your ride won't even have enough pressure delivery to
start it. If it's not made for ethanol, you've probably got holes in
the tubes on the fuel pump assembly as ethanol loves to eat plastic.
If it is, you've weakened the sealed electric motor to the point
where it can no longer provide adequate fuel pressure to feed your
engines demands.

Been there, done that.

Earlier you said:

"I don't like to run any of my vehicles that low on gas for any
length of time..."

Well. obviously, you can't run them very long because you'll run
out of gas, but that's not my point.

Running them out of gas is another issue your creating for yourself,
yes. Your modern fuel injection system really doesn't like it. So, if
you do ****up and do this, once you put gas in the car again, don't
try to start it right away. Turn the key to on and back off several
times, but, don't try to start the engine just yet. Repeat cycle a
few times first, put gas back into the rest of the fuel system
(pushing out the air you pumped into it when you ran it bone dry),
then crank the motor over. She'll start right up, first try, usually.

If you just put gas in it, you might notice, it requires several
cranks, and/or you have to lay on the starter for a bit to get it to
fire. Why be hard on your starter and battery? Be gentle, lasts
longer this way.

What is your definition of "low"? Do you know at what level of
fuel the cooling ability is reduced to such an extent that it is
damaging the pump? Sure, a full tank can theoretically absorb more
heat from the pump than a 1/4 tank, but does that amount of
reduction make a difference? Does damage start to occur at 1/8
tank? 1/16?

It depends entirely on tank manufacturer. Sadly. So I can't answer
your question that covers every scenario here. So, for me, when I see
the bugger heading towards the bottom, say 1/4th or so, I refuel it.
Btw, depending on fuel tank manufacturer, it held more prior to
reaching the halfway mark on your gauge. Due to the design of the
tank. I know, this sounds crazy to you, but, feel free to fact check
me with your favorite search engine.

What about the ambient temperature of the fuel? Should you always
run at least a half tank in the summer but a half gallon is enough
in the winter?

A half gallon on most vehicles I've seen isn't submerging the fuel
pump, it's barely submerging the pickup module (if even that). Lucky
for people these days though, it's a pressurized fuel system, so you
can still run and won't have to do the wiggle jiggle with the
steering to help the pickup module get more gas. You know, when you
were running out of gas on the older ones.

But, it's always a bad idea to run so low, for the reason stated
already. You're hurting the electrical motor that drives the fuel
pump. It's not getting any help at this point to cool it off. It
prefers to be taking a swim, if you catch my drift.

My point is that unless you know what is considered "low" for your
brand of pump in your specific gas tank, your statement that
"electric motors and heat don't go well together over time" may
well be true but may also not be relevant in this situation.

Nothing to do with brand of pump. Everything to do with fuel level
inside said tank. Submerged pump is a happy pump. Even a partially
submerged one is keeping cooler than one that isn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®"
Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:22:06 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the
garage under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people
have been killed from it.

Cite please.

Use a search engine for 'key fob'. They have a start/stop button. No
key. Although, some actually do have a place for a real key (usually
under the dash) in the event the battery in your key fob is dead OR,
you misplaced the damn thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/26/2017 02:22 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the garage
under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people have been killed
from it.

Cite please.

It would be possible if the engine shuts down automatically when the
transmission is in Park, and restarts when put into gear. I have herd of
that.

I'd still expect some kind of key so someone else doesn't take your car.
A key could be a combination, RF device, of even biometric.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If I had power over the Jews, as our princes and cities have, I would
deal severely with their lying mouth." [Martin Luther,"On the Jews and
Their Lies",1543]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/26/2017 08:13 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

Use a search engine for 'key fob'. They have a start/stop button. No
key. Although, some actually do have a place for a real key (usually
under the dash) in the event the battery in your key fob is dead OR,
you misplaced the damn thing.

So it's a matter of differing definitions of "real". I'd consider the
fob to be a key. Different from an old physical key, but just as real.
The same for some people with an implanted chip. That's a key too.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If I had power over the Jews, as our princes and cities have, I would
deal severely with their lying mouth." [Martin Luther,"On the Jews and
Their Lies",1543]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the garage
under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people have been killed
from it.

Cite please.

It would be possible if the engine shuts down automatically when the
transmission is in Park, and restarts when put into gear. I have herd of
that.

I'd still expect some kind of key so someone else doesn't take your car.
A key could be a combination, RF device, of even biometric.

The fob is an RF device. No fob, no start. Not like anyone can just
hop in and push the start button.

My cr will also open the trunk for me if the car is locked. Just stand
behind it with arms full and it opens when it detects the fob. Very
handy at times.
\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the garage
under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people have been killed
from it.

Cite please.

It would be possible if the engine shuts down automatically when the
transmission is in Park, and restarts when put into gear. I have herd of
that.

I'd still expect some kind of key so someone else doesn't take your car.
A key could be a combination, RF device, of even biometric.

RFID fobs are common - and commonly left in the car in locked
garages. Absentmindedly leaving the fob in the car and not holding the
dtart button for 10 seconds to shut it down lets it run untill the
tank is smpty. Auto start-stop less of a problem as it shuts down
when you walk away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 08:32:28 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 04/26/2017 08:13 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

Use a search engine for 'key fob'. They have a start/stop button. No
key. Although, some actually do have a place for a real key (usually
under the dash) in the event the battery in your key fob is dead OR,
you misplaced the damn thing.

So it's a matter of differing definitions of "real". I'd consider the
fob to be a key. Different from an old physical key, but just as real.
The same for some people with an implanted chip. That's a key too.

it IS a key, but not a KEY. It is required to open or start the car,
but is not physically used or "actively deployed"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the garage
under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people have been killed
from it.

Cite please.

It would be possible if the engine shuts down automatically when the
transmission is in Park, and restarts when put into gear. I have herd of
that.

I'd still expect some kind of key so someone else doesn't take your car.
A key could be a combination, RF device, of even biometric.

RFID fobs are common - and commonly left in the car in locked
garages. Absentmindedly leaving the fob in the car and not holding the
dtart button for 10 seconds to shut it down lets it run untill the
tank is smpty. Auto start-stop less of a problem as it shuts down
when you walk away.

There is a bug in the Cadillac software on ~2011 models that does not
antomatically turn off all the stuff when you walk away with the fob.
We never did figure out exactly what the failing sequence was but it
happened to my father in law a lot. He took it back to the dealer a
dozen times for a "dead battery" problem and even after I figured out
what was happening, there was no joy. They replaced the ECU and some
other parts but I still think it is software.
One day he was here, I put his fob in the refrigerator and went out
and started his car after charging the battery. The battery had died
here. I noticed right away AC blower was running on low and the dash
was lit up.
I think it has to do with the software feature that allows the radio
and windows to be active until you open the drivers door after you
turn the car off but once you finally get things turned off with the
fob present, it works normally until you get back into the failure
loop. With the fob not present, the accessory circuit and starting
circuit stays on no matter what you do. He did have a habit of sitting
in the car for a while screwing with the radio/DIC after he turned the
engine off.
About the time I was zeroing in on duplicating the problem, he traded
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 May 2017 19:46:45 GMT, "Tekkie®" wrote:

On 26-Apr-2017, Diesel wrote:

It also means that as the fuel level drops the engine will starve
and stop running. This was also debunked by a pump manufacturer as
seen on MotorWeek on TV.

No, it won't. The pickup is towards the bottom of the tank. Your engine
might die if the pickup can't get the last drop, but, since it's a
pressurized system these days, that shouldn't happen.

So the fuel is still cooling the pump until it has no more fuel. I stand by
my statements.

eXCEPT ON THOSE WHERE THE PUMP IS NOT ONLY COOLED BY FUEL RUNNING
THROUGH IT, BUT BY THE PUMP BEING FULLY SUBMERGED.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" Wed, 03
May 2017 19:46:45 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 26-Apr-2017, Diesel wrote:

It also means that as the fuel level drops the engine will
starve and stop running. This was also debunked by a pump
manufacturer as seen on MotorWeek on TV.

No, it won't. The pickup is towards the bottom of the tank. Your
engine might die if the pickup can't get the last drop, but,
since it's a pressurized system these days, that shouldn't
happen.

So the fuel is still cooling the pump until it has no more fuel. I
stand by my statements.

Umm, no. The fuel isn't cooling the pump once it's no longer
submerged in it. Further, the fuel pump motor itself isn't getting
much (it's negligible) cooling assistance as it pumps the fuel
through, either.

In fact, the less fuel you have in the tank, the hotter it is inside
the tank; which doesn't help your pump in the least little bit.

The pump is being cooled by your fuel WHILE IT'S SUBMERGED in your
fuel. Once you reach a certain point, the pump MOTOR ITSELF is no
longer submerged. You seem to think the pump itself is literally
resting on the bottom of the tank, but, it's not. The pickup unit is
the closest to the bottom of the tank, but it's not actually resting
on the bottom of the tank, either. Thanks to modern pressurization of
the fuel system it's able to get nearly every last drop without you
having to do the wiggle jiggle as you begin to run out of gas.

Aside from doing long term damage to the sealed electrical motor
which is providing the fuel your engine needs, the pickup unit also
begins to collect trash and tries to pump that to your engine, as
well. Along the way, it can clog the pump assembly, your fuel lines,
your injectors, too. It's really not a very nice way to treat your
ride.

Fortunately, enough people do treat their rides like **** so that a
comfortable living can be made for others who do know WTF they're
doing repairing your stuff.

Renting out a house Bill[_18_] UK diy 42 September 16th 16 06:20 PM
Old wiring and renting bm[_2_] UK diy 7 October 30th 13 05:21 PM
OT - Renting Out Property TheScullster UK diy 31 August 7th 12 01:43 PM
OT Renting a car mm Home Repair 57 May 8th 07 03:47 PM
Looking for a townhouse or renting out yours? amos Home Repair 0 March 19th 07 09:56 AM