Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Now , about Linux Mint ...

Bud Frede
Wed, 26 Apr 2017
11:05:15 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

CentOS is the code from RHEL with various logos and brand names
stripped out and then compiled. It's free (as in beer as well as
in freedom).

Yes. I really like CentOS for server work. Rock solid. Of
course, that goes without saying, since it's 'sister' is RHEL. g

RHEL is the product that RH sells support for. Support in this
case includes patches and updates, as well as extra documentation
and things like that.

Understood.

IIRC, a desktop license for RHEL is only $49/yr., and you get some
support (I don't remember if it's e-mail-only or what) plus access
to their extra documentation and knowledge base and I'm thinking
it includes access to some private forums too.

I don't like subscriptions though. I understand their purpose, but, I
don't like them, personally.

What I was saying about my workplace is that I'd like to use RHEL
for production systems, and then depending on how the support
contract is written, use CentOS for dev systems or temporary test
beds, etc.

I understand your POV concerning that too.

I've never gotten into the Raspberry...What makes it so
interesting to you?

Part of it is size. I just think it's amazing and really cool that
we can pack so much computing power into such a tiny space.

Aha! It appeals to the geek in you. I get it.

A typical RPi system is also all solid-state, with no moving
parts. You don't even need a fan in many (if not most) cases. So
you can just mount the whole thing on the wall in a closet or your
basement, or on a shelf somewhere. It means I can put a powerful
computer in a lot of places I couldn't before.

What's the write/read lifespan of the solid state memory components?

Then we get to the uses of such a system, and I admit that I
haven't fully explored those. I've looked into setting up
streaming audio and video, and doing home theater type of stuff.
I've also looked into home automation a bit.

Same. But, not with raspberry.

One thing that I'm going to do early on is setup a wall-mounted
touchscreen monitor with an RPi mounted on it in the kitchen so my
wife and I can look at recipes or even watch videos or whatever
while we're in the kitchen. I suppose we could do the same thing
with an Android tablet, but this could have a much larger screen
and I feel I'd have more control over what software is installed
and what's running, who it's communicating with, etc.

Hmm. Interesting. I'm not sure about the more control aspect though.
But, I'm not well versed on them either.

I understand. To each his/her own. I really don't care for the
GUIs present on Vista onwards, I really like XP's GUI...And wish
MS didn't **** it up...Alas.

I feel that the Windows UI reached its zenith in Win 2K. The
whole Luna look of XP just seemed to be a bad case of Mac OS X
envy.

Oh, I forgot to clarify. I don't use Luna. My XP install looks like
Win2k as well. [g] I grew up writing code on computers that required
you to write good code and not be wasteful with system resources,
because, you really didn't have them to waste. Despite the fact
'modern' systems do, the old school way in me hasn't changed.

I do admit that XP had some good features that Win 2K didn't. They
applied enough of a band-aid onto "DLL hell" that it no longer
caused so much hassle for most people. They also added restore
points, so you stood a chance of being able to roll-back something
that hosed the system.

The only thing I liked about the restore points was the registry hive
was copied over into them. So, I could get it back in the event of
registry hive corruption. Made for 'corrupted' system error messages
a lot easier to fix, vs win2k without a viable backup of the files
which make the hive. ERUNT fixed that, but, if the user didn't (a)
have it or use it, it might be reload time. And, that's always a
****er. It's not the OS/drivers so much, it's the ****ing non
portable apps and registration key data you have to hunt down.
Annoying as hell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bud Frede
Thu, 27 Apr 2017
10:18:27 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Diesel writes:

Bud Frede
Wed, 26 Apr
2017 11:05:15 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

IIRC, a desktop license for RHEL is only $49/yr., and you get
some support (I don't remember if it's e-mail-only or what) plus
access to their extra documentation and knowledge base and I'm
thinking it includes access to some private forums too.

I don't like subscriptions though. I understand their purpose,
but, I don't like them, personally.

I'm ok with subscriptions for support, and not so ok with
subscriptions that force you to pay every year or the product
stops working.

Since RH makes CentOS available for free, I think it's reasonable
for them to sell support - if that's something you want.

It's probably better to pay for support than the method that more
traditional software companies use to keep money flowing in; keep
producing new versions. If they have to keep cranking out new
versions with new features to keep the revenue stream going,
they're not going to spend time fixing bugs or reducing other
technical debt, and they'll keep adding features whether people
really use them or not.

I think that's the whole problem with all of Microsoft's software.
The priority was shipping new versions, and they never fixed old
bugs. Whatever sort of works so the sales creatures can claim X
number of features, and just **** it out onto the market. Who
cares if it's crappy and full of bugs? We'll fix the worst
problems after release, and then it's time for the next version.
In fact, leaving bugs in the current version gives you things to
promise will be fixed in the next version.

Microsoft isn't alone in this respect. Sadly, many software companies
have opted to go this route, too. Malwarebytes being a very good
example. It's as if they took a section of Microsofts own playbook
and are using it, to the letter.

It's regular flash memory. I've seen micro SD cards used and also
USB thumb drives. It's not soldered on the board or anything like
that.

Ah. Replaceable then. That's a good thing.

[snip]

I'll check those links out at a later date. Thanks!