Posted to alt.home.repair

Default vibrating pipes when any source is shut off.

A little over a year ago I installed a new; pressure regulator, and in-line
pressure gauges, before and after the regulator, an anti-siphon valve, and two
ball valves, one before the water meter and one after. All installed in the
3/4 main line coming into the house. The main problem I had for installing all
this was that after checking my water pressure in house, it was at an alarming
115 lbs! When I flushed the toilet as part of pressure testing, the pressure
would spike to 150 lbs. once the toilet filled and shut off, then slowly
return to 115. Yes, there was always a 'thud' when this happened. What
promoted me to finally check the pressure was my pressure release valve on the
water heater either hissed, as it dripped water, or would (usually in the
middle of the night) blow off. After two flooded basements, I piped it thru
the wall to the outside. It still continued to blow off. Plus, I had changed
my kitchen faucet twice, my bathroom sink faucet twice, replaced all the
components in the toilet twice, and the valves in my shower 4 or 5 times. Now
the dual water faucet at the washing machine was dripping, and I finally had
to install a new water heater.! This is an old house, my guess is built in
the 50s, and it looks like most of the plumbing and electrical upgrades and
repairs done through the years were 'half assed'. There were no shut offs at
the meter, and the old style that was farther down the 3/4 main line didn't
completely cut-off the water when I tried to. Of course each supply line had
it's own, but these too were ancient, and had green or white build up, and
ended up leaking once turned off and/or on. Dear Lord. I had the water company
turn off the water at the curb, and installed the items listed above. I was
most concerned about a main shut off both before and after the meter in case
it had a leak, then of course the extremely high pressure in the system. After
I installed all that in the 3/4 main, I installed the new water heater and
added an expansion tank, along with new ball valves (all 1/2"). Adjusted the
pressure valve to 54 lbs., and all seems well. You can definitely notice the
difference. The gauge after the regulator shows the 54 lbs. of pressure to the
system. However, the gauge installed Before the regulator does not register at
all. I suspect it is faulty and will have to contact the manufacturer. I had
installed it to monitor the 'street pressure' coming into the house through
the meter. I had added the anti-siphon valve after reading where it should be,
and is required by, most towns today, along with an expansion tank for the
water heater. (none was originally installed). Shortly after all this work I
developed a vibrating noise in the pipes. Seems to be mostly in the 3/4" main
line, and happens after a water source; toilet, shower, washing machine,
kitchen or bath sink is used, then shut off. Not a banging noise, but a steady
vibrating noise heard through the floor joists. I installed new/more clamps,
it helped some, but this condition still exists. No, the system has no air
hammers that I can find in it. Probably not considering all the amateur shabby
work I see done. Does anyone know, or think, it might have to do with the
anti-siphon valve, bad gauge, or the regulator itself? all were new. All were
Sharkbite components including the ball valves at the meter. The only thing I
did not do that, I was told later that I should have, was remove the plastic
inserts in the ball valves that are there if Pex is used. Could that even be
the culprit?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...f-1127360-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 6:14:08 PM UTC-4, Ricky J. wrote:

Have you called tech support at the manufacturer of the pressure
regulator? It would seem that is the device that has to throttle
the water and my first suspicion would be that as it's slowly
closing to limit the pressure, that's what's causing the vibration.
Was it from a reputable manufacturer or Chinese junk? Where is
the vibration located? Near the regulator? Even if it's not near
it, I would think it could still be the culprit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 09:06:19 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 6:14:08 PM UTC-4, Ricky J. wrote:

Have you called tech support at the manufacturer of the pressure
regulator? It would seem that is the device that has to throttle
the water and my first suspicion would be that as it's slowly
closing to limit the pressure, that's what's causing the vibration.
Was it from a reputable manufacturer or Chinese junk? Where is
the vibration located? Near the regulator? Even if it's not near
it, I would think it could still be the culprit.

Locating the vibrations is a good first step into finding the problem.
A mechanic or medical stethoscope is a handy tool. Perhaps a pipe
strap has loosened. Narrow the area more specifically to where the
noise is.

I have a PEX hot water line in the kitchen that "ticks" when hot water
is called; pipe expanding I guess. Not enough bother for me to go
into the wall under the sink to find out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You need to be beaten to death with a baseball bat. Get the **** out of my country
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ricky J., Ricky J. wrote:
Thanks for your reply Trader_4. No, I didn't think to call the regulator's
tech support, but I have to concerning the one non-operating pressure gauge.
Same manufacturer, (Sharkbite) so I can address both at once. The vibration
does seem to be concentrated in the 3/4" main line, where the pressure
regulator is installed, not elsewhere in the 1/2" system. Thanks again for the
insight.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...f-1127360-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, Ricky J. wrote:
Trader$thanks for your help. It ended up being the pressure regulator. I went
back to the website I ordered this Sharbite regulator through, and sure enough
there were several customers who bought the same unit and had the same
complaint. I can't believe I didn't see them before I ordered it. Sharkbite
suggested turning the pressure screw one full turn to increase the pressure
and that should eliminate the noise. So, I did. It did lessen the vibrating,
but not enough so, I turned it another full turn up. The vibration is now
maybe a 5 second span versus the good 30 second span it was. I can live with
this until I can replace the regulator. Thanks again for your help.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...f-1127360-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ricky J., Ricky J. wrote:
UPDATE: 'Vibrating Pipes When Any Source is Shut Off'. Upon the suggestion of
Trader_4, I checked into the water pressure regulator. I went back onto Home
Depot's website where I ordered this Sharkbite regulator through to check out
the reviews, and sure enough, there were several customers that bought the
same unit and had the same complaint. Unfortunately these reviews were posted
after I had already bought and installed mine. In the beginning I had no
problem, it developed later on. Anyway, Sharkbite had suggest that the
adjusting screw be turned one full turn up or down, and that should eliminate
the noise. So, I went up. It did lessen it, but the vibration was still there.
So, I turned it another full turn up. The vibration is faint, and only lasts
maybe 5 seconds compared to the original 30 second span it did before. I can
live with this until I replace the regulator. I notice at the gauge the line
pressure rose from just past 50 lbs. to 70 lbs. I will have to increase the
air pressure in the water heater's expansion tank to match. Thanks again to
Trader_4 for giving me a direction to go in.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...f-1127360-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would sure go back to Home Depot and make them very aware of your problems with their merchandise. HD might be willing to work with you to return the unit to the manufacturer in exchange for a new one, if you are willing to gamble the new one will not develop a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 10:35:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I would sure go back to Home Depot and make them very aware of your problems with their merchandise. HD might be willing to work with you to return the unit to the manufacturer in exchange for a new one, if you are willing to gamble the new one will not develop a problem.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd complain to HD, show them those
other reviews with the same problem, and tell them he either wants
another one without the problem or a refund. No reason one should
have to put up with this. From googling, looks like this is a $65+
device and you'd expect it to work coming from HD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wot was the question?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2017 2:33 PM, Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law wrote:

You need to be beaten to death with a baseball bat. Get the **** out of my country

OMGAWD! HOW RUDE!