Posted to alt.home.repair

Default changing handles to other side of fridge/freezer

My landlady/roommate has a large refrigerator/freezer where, IMO, the
door should ope on the other side.

It's an Amana, maybe 10 years old, or 20?, with a tall, hinged door on
the bottom for the freezer, and a fridge above it.

It's clearly designed to open from either side.

How much time would this take me? I think it takes 2 people to hold
the door in place while attaching the top bracket/hinge, right? For
the fridge. Maybe I can prop the freezer door on a book while I
attach its hinge.

How much extra time will it take since the screws have been sitting
this way for 10 or 20 years?

She hasn't even said anything. It just bothers me because it's
wrong, but it doesn't bother me enough to spend more than 2.5 hours,
and I don't want to tell her I'm going to fix it and then not, and
then it will bother her that it's not fixed when now she doesn't even
know it's broken.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 16:16:41 +0300, Micky wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qisOsSC4Mkc

http://www.myjobshirts.com/view/2384... _job_t_shirt

You're a pip Micky. :-)

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote in news:5k6adch8okdrgicdldlgtv57bakr0l38os@
4ax.com:

My landlady[...] doesn't even know it's broken.

The above is the only important part of your post. It's HER refrigerator. It doesn't bother
HER. It's not your place to unilaterally decide to fix something that she doesn't perceive as
a problem.

Now please go away, and don't come back unless you have some actual home repair
problems.

Just. Go. Away.

plonk

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2017 9:16 AM, Micky wrote:
[...]

But does it bother her? Better make sure before you take the time to
change it.
Last time I changed a door it was about 15 minutes. Not a big job. You
can probably find specific instructions on line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My wife can do it by herself. As Ed says 15 minutes. Take off top
hinge, Lift off door. Swap handle over. Swap over bottom hinge. Set
the door on it and put in the top hinge. The magnetic seal will
usually hold the door until you get the top hinge lined up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-03-24 9:16 AM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Quick easy one person job, basic tools, did it with our GE, as Ed says
15 minutes.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2017 12:47 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2017-03-24 9:16 AM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Following thread because sometimes what to do may not be self evident.
I had a stove handle that needed tightening and I made a mess of it.
Would not be a problem if I checked utube first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/17 9:32 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Micky wrote in news:5k6adch8okdrgicdldlgtv57bakr0l38os@
4ax.com:

My landlady[...] doesn't even know it's broken.

The above is the only important part of your post. It's HER refrigerator. It doesn't bother
HER. It's not your place to unilaterally decide to fix something that she doesn't perceive as
a problem.

Now please go away, and don't come back unless you have some actual home repair
problems.

Just. Go. Away.

plonk

Hard core, Dougie ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 9:35:14 AM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
Micky wrote in news:5k6adch8okdrgicdldlgtv57bakr0l38os@
4ax.com:

My landlady[...] doesn't even know it's broken.

The above is the only important part of your post. It's HER refrigerator. It doesn't bother
HER. It's not your place to unilaterally decide to fix something that she doesn't perceive as
a problem.

Now please go away, and don't come back unless you have some actual home repair
problems.

Just. Go. Away.

plonk

I would assume he'd ask her before doing it. But like his last question,
even if she gives the OK, if it were me, I'd be concerned about being
on the hook if something goes wrong. Like the screws
are rusted, break off, he gets it off, can't get it on the other side,
etc. I guess it comes down to how inconvenient it really is and if
it's worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:50:25 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I am not sure if Amana was Whirlpool when that was built but the
screws are usually in nylon plugs so they come right out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2017 8:16 AM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Change it and if that thing quits working in the next 10 years it will
be you know who's fault.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Swap the hinges but leave the handle on the wrong side -
be sure to video-record the process - and especially the
results when the landlady tries to open it - post to UTube. :-)
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 12:47:54 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

On 2017-03-24 9:16 AM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Except it's Mikey. It'll be 2 weeks before he gets his screw-driver
out and the thread will have 200 entries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 09:41:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Last big trip I needed a flashlight twice, so this time I brought one,
but it's in the car now. I'll get it and look for the model number,
and see what I can find about instructions, especially for the screw
covers.

(Another thing I took on a trip for the first time is a magnifying
glass. I've used it several times already. For one thing those phone
map programs let you use two fingers to make the map bigger and
smaller, but the highway numbers never get bigger.

Addressed to everyone:
I'm going to be here 9 more weeks, so there is plenty of time to do
things. Once I visited friends on Staten Island and while they were
at work, I noticed that their built-in micorwave oven, which matched
their built-in gas oven, which matched the kitchen decor wouldn't
latch and wouldn't run. Because it didn't work at all and because
they weren't there, and because if they could even get another
matching oven, it would cost plenty extra, I didn't ask permission,
and boy was she happy when she noticed it was fixed. That took about
an hour, just sheet metal screws into sheet metal. Much better
than a hostess gift that is eaten or drunk and gone, this lasted them
for years.

More later when I know more

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 13:32:13 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Micky wrote in news:5k6adch8okdrgicdldlgtv57bakr0l38os@
4ax.com:

My landlady[...] doesn't even know it's broken.

The above is the only important part of your post. It's HER refrigerator. It doesn't bother
HER. It's not your place to unilaterally decide to fix something that she doesn't perceive as

I don't have to read my post again to know I didn't say i would
*decide* for her. I'll ask her if she wants it changed.

That she hasn't complained to me after knowing me two weeks doesn't
mean it doesn't annoy her, and even if it doesn't bother her, it will
still be pleasing if it works better.

I suppose you've never done something to please someone that did
please her that she didn't ask for, and that you've never bought
someone something she didnt' already know she'd like. And I suppose
you've never even suggested to someone that she might like something
she hadn't heard of before.

Yes, I suppose that is true. You never have.

a problem.

Now please go away, and don't come back unless you have some actual home repair
problems.

Just. Go. Away.

plonk

I like your plan better. You plonk me and I can post what I want
without your carping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I guess it's like some people (most people. Everyone, I hope) can't
bear to drive by a half-naked baby alone on the highway, I have a hard
time walking by something that's broken that I could fix.

But what she really needs is a new outlet in her bedroom, for when she
uses the heater. It turns out my room and 3 other rooms were added
recently, so they're the ones with new outlets and wired for cable TV
(and some other jack I've never seen before.) But her room goes
back to 1979. So does the rest of the apartment, but it has plenty of
heat. Even her room does if she didn't keep the door closed, and I
think when I leave she'll open it again. ;-)