Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT USA check in foreign denomination

My friend's grandson is graduating highschool this year and I wanted
to give him a present. But he has 4 siblings and I won't be here for
their graduations.

I also forgot to bring my checkbook for my checking account or my
savings account.

when I get home can I mail them a USA check made out in Danish Crowns?

Or does it have to be dollars and the bank where they cash the check
will convert it to crowns for them.

Is there a financial advantage to me, either way?

I don't think so, but I think it would look nicer and they would
appreciate it if there check mer made out in Crowns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2017 3:41 AM, Micky wrote:
My friend's grandson is graduating highschool this year and I wanted
to give him a present. But he has 4 siblings and I won't be here
for their graduations.

I also forgot to bring my checkbook for my checking account or my
savings account.

when I get home can I mail them a USA check made out in Danish
Crowns?

Or does it have to be dollars and the bank where they cash the check
will convert it to crowns for them.

Is there a financial advantage to me, either way?

I don't think so, but I think it would look nicer and they would
appreciate it if there check mer made out in Crowns.

If you want to cash or deposit a check in a U.S. bank, it must either be
in U.S. currency or first converted to U.S. currency. I don't even know
if a U.S. Bank's check is negotiable if it is written to be in a foreign
currency. Every U.S. Bank or Credit Union's check I've ever seen is
pre-printed both with the "$" at the right side of the second line and
the word "Dollars" at the right side of the third line. That suggests
to me that you cannot write a U.S. checking account check to be payable
in a foreign currency.

The fee for currency conversion is often the sum of a flat rate
charge plus a certain percentage of the U.S. currency value of the
conversion. Therefore, for a small conversion, the fee can come close
to equaling or even exceed the U.S. value of the check. As this is a
gift, don't imposed the inconvenience and expense of either an invalid
check or of currency conversion on the recipient. Find a way of
providing your gift check in U.S. dollars. Also, speaking from personal
knowledge, don't be tempted to purchase shares of stock on a non-U.S.
stock exchange (where they will be registered) as a gift for a U.S.
resident. The recipient will have incredible difficulties if they ever
want to sell those shares!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2017 3:41 AM, Micky wrote:
My friend's grandson is graduating highschool this year and I wanted
to give him a present. But he has 4 siblings and I won't be here for
their graduations.

I also forgot to bring my checkbook for my checking account or my
savings account.

when I get home can I mail them a USA check made out in Danish Crowns?

Or does it have to be dollars and the bank where they cash the check
will convert it to crowns for them.

Is there a financial advantage to me, either way?

I don't think so, but I think it would look nicer and they would
appreciate it if there check mer made out in Crowns.

In the case of the one right now, go to the ATM and get some crowns. I
found the ATM gave me the best exchange rates.

I don't know about checks. At work we do bank transfers and there is a
charge for it. You may want to inquire at a bank there for options,
perhaps a prepaid Visa card would be better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:41:35 +0200, Micky
wrote:

My friend's grandson is graduating highschool this year and I wanted
to give him a present. But he has 4 siblings and I won't be here for
their graduations. I also forgot to bring my checkbook for my checking
account or my savings account.
When I get home can I mail them a USA check made out in Danish Crowns?
Or does it have to be dollars and the bank where they cash the check
will convert it to crowns for them.
Is there a financial advantage to me, either way?
I don't think so, but I think it would look nicer and they would
appreciate it if there check mer made out in Crowns.

If your money resides in an old-fashioned financial institution that
still has nice people, behind the counter - ask them.
When I transferred some gift-money to my three grown children,
I bought "bank drafts" - similar to a certified cheque - my
bank even waived the fee - as a goodwill gesture. $ 7.50
Mine were not a foreign currency but I suspect that would be
possible.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/17 3:41 AM, Micky wrote:
My friend's grandson is graduating highschool this year and I
wanted to give him a present. But he has 4 siblings and I won't be
here for their graduations.

I also forgot to bring my checkbook for my checking account or my
savings account.

when I get home can I mail them a USA check made out in Danish
Crowns?

Or does it have to be dollars and the bank where they cash the
check will convert it to crowns for them.

Is there a financial advantage to me, either way?

I don't think so, but I think it would look nicer and they would
appreciate it if there check mer made out in Crowns.

Most prepaids cannot be used outside the US.

Take a look at this prepaid AAA Visa card.

http://www.aaa.com/AAA/FinancialSvcs...AATrv_FAQs.pdf

This one is used by many parents when a child is traveling with a
group to a foreign country so they can get cash from a local ATM.

See item 2 re establishing a PIN before sending the card to recipient.

Then mail the card, and email or text the PIN
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote in news:dea4dcdt379cuqsei4sk1uc948t5cvpri7
@4ax.com:

My friend's grandson is graduating highschool this year and I wanted
to give him a present. But he has 4 siblings and I won't be here for
their graduations.

I also forgot to bring my checkbook for my checking account or my
savings account.

when I get home can I mail them a USA check made out in Danish Crowns?

Nope. But you can go to the post office, and use dollars to purchase an international postal
money order payable in Danish crowns or whatever other foreign currency you choose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My friend's grandson is graduating highschool this year and I wanted
to give him a present. But he has 4 siblings and I won't be here for
their graduations.
I also forgot to bring my checkbook for my checking account or my
savings account.
when I get home can I mail them a USA check made out in Danish Crowns?

Nope. But you can go to the post office, and use dollars to purchase an international postal
money order payable in Danish crowns or whatever other foreign currency you choose.

A Post Office money order might be a good idea in the USA ..
but might not be the best idea for overseas - link below.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc3_018.htm

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My friend's grandson is graduating highschool this year and I wanted
to give him a present. But he has 4 siblings and I won't be here for
their graduations.
I also forgot to bring my checkbook for my checking account or my
savings account.
when I get home can I mail them a USA check made out in Danish Crowns?

Nope. But you can go to the post office, and use dollars to purchase an international

postal
money order payable in Danish crowns or whatever other foreign currency you choose.

A Post Office money order might be a good idea in the USA ..
but might not be the best idea for overseas - link below.
https://www.usps.com/international/money-transfers.htm

Maybe you should back up and read that again; I guess you missed the word
"INTERNATIONAL".

... and then read some more - maybe even click on the links -
then send the postal money order to Denmark. :-)
... nice play, Shakespeare.
John T.

OT Foreign aid budget to be slashed harry UK diy 4 August 28th 16 07:43 PM
UK foreign aid funds terrorists harry UK diy 0 March 27th 16 05:42 PM
Foreign currency - where to buy, here or there? Lobster UK diy 13 March 6th 14 06:14 PM
Foreign DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 6 February 3rd 14 10:03 AM
Fancy foreign appliances Jerry Home Repair 6 August 7th 07 02:41 PM