Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 8:38:08 AM UTC-7, philo wrote:
On 03/19/2017 09:59 AM, Fast Eddie wrote:
snip

Yep, the Georgia Dome in downtown Atlanta which was completed 25 years
ago in 1992 will be demolished this year.

Magnificent stadium, seats 70,000+, largest cable-supported fabric
stadium roof in the county, all seats with unobstructed view of the
field. Most Atlantans love the facility. Former home of the Atlanta
Falcons.

But Falcons owner Arthur Blank arm-twisted the local politicians into
building him a nice new tax payer financed stadium under threat of
moving the team to the burbs- as the Atlanta Braves just did, abandoning
Turner Field, downtown site of the 1996 Olympics stadium.

The Georgia Dome is being replaced by Mercedes-Benz Stadium, under
construction right next door.

It's really nuts.

I can recall when all of these buildings were constructed and now they
are tearing them down. Still almost new.

I recall thousand year old buildings in Europe so it's odd to see this.

I still recall the "temporary" tax for our new ballpark became a
permanent .1% hike.

Also: Here in Milwaukee as I suspect elsewhere, new construction is
occurring at a pace I've never seen before yet there are hundreds of
store-fronts vacant.

I talked to a fiend of mine yesterday who owns a bookshop in a rental
space. Our city which should encourage business did everything they
could to deny him a ten year occupancy permit. He had to go to court to
obtain one as long at 14 other permits and paid inspections.

He said now that he knows the city will at least allow him to be there
for a while, he'll spend the money to make minor improvements such as
more lighting.

If he thought he was going to be kicked out after a year he would not bother

The worst part is finding enough that were the same size. Great lumber but rough cut varies sizes sometimes grossly. I tore down an old country school planning to use the framing lumber in an addition. I gave up after I spent one afternoon sorting to get enouth matching 2x4 for one 18' wall. Did use rough cuts salvaged from the schoolf for the floor joists - had to trim or shim the end of most of them to get a flat floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 03:48:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 8:47:29 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 03/20/2017 05:09 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Strange, no douglas fir shows of on that store's page for studs. Yellow
pine, yes but not in stock. The ubiquitous "whitewood" (SFP) yes but no
douglas fir. Got a better link?

That's a new (to me) use of 'whitewood'. I've always heard it used for
poplar or any of the hardwoods with no prominent grain or color that you
can doll up to resemble more expensive cabinet woods.

I've seen it on the display of SPF studs at Home Despot.

Cindy Hamilton

Half the droids at Home Despot know nothing of their products.