A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Home Repair
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

2 x 4's the old ones



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old March 20th 17, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 119
Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 06:40:44 -0500, philo wrote:

Most of the houses in my neighborhood were built in the late 19th or
early 20th century.


Recently someone totally rebuilt a house near here, they stripped it
down to the 2 x 4's and rebuilt...they even put in a new foundation.

At first I wondered why they did not raze it entirely until I realized
the old style 2 x 4's are superior to the ones used today.

They actually measure 2" x 4" and use better wood that today's soft pine.

My question is: what kind of wood was actually used.


In my early 1950s, California, cheap tract house, the framing is rough-sawn redwood. Whether
it's coast redwood, or high-sierra redwood, I don't know. Anyway, nails don't stay nailed very
well, but the bugs have given it a pass.

--
croy
Ads
  #32  
Old March 20th 17, 02:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 309
Default 2 x 4's the old ones


wrote in message
...
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:43:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 03/19/2017 9:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:
...

IDK what they used back then, but 2x4s today are not pine, they are
Douglas Fir.


Only if you're in the western US or Canada (or Japan/China where most
Doug fir is exported to)...the kids in the lumber yards around here
don't even know what "Doug fur" is; some kind of pet, maybe???

Douglas Fir is WAY too valuable to be used for residential framing,
even here in Canada./ What we buy is labled as "SPF" = meaning mixed
softwood - loosely spruce, pine and fir - but the fir is seldom
"douglas Fir" (more likely Balsam in the east and Alpine in the west)
and there is sometimes a bit of tamarac and hemlock mixed in.


Same here in Florida at the borgs. It would be difficult to even find
douglas fir and, if so, it would not be cheap. I have trouble imagining
it - a western wood - winding up in New Jersey when SYP or SFP is much
closer and cheaper/


  #33  
Old March 20th 17, 03:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,686
Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 5:59:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:43:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 03/19/2017 9:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:
...

IDK what they used back then, but 2x4s today are not pine, they are Douglas Fir.


Only if you're in the western US or Canada (or Japan/China where most
Doug fir is exported to)...the kids in the lumber yards around here
don't even know what "Doug fur" is; some kind of pet, maybe???

Douglas Fir is WAY too valuable to be used for residential framing,
even here in Canada./


Maybe true in Canada, but HD and lumberyards in the US are full of
cheap 2x4s made of Douglas Fir.


  #34  
Old March 20th 17, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,686
Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 10:56:49 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message
...
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:43:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 03/19/2017 9:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:
...

IDK what they used back then, but 2x4s today are not pine, they are
Douglas Fir.

Only if you're in the western US or Canada (or Japan/China where most
Doug fir is exported to)...the kids in the lumber yards around here
don't even know what "Doug fur" is; some kind of pet, maybe???

Douglas Fir is WAY too valuable to be used for residential framing,
even here in Canada./ What we buy is labled as "SPF" = meaning mixed
softwood - loosely spruce, pine and fir - but the fir is seldom
"douglas Fir" (more likely Balsam in the east and Alpine in the west)
and there is sometimes a bit of tamarac and hemlock mixed in.


Same here in Florida at the borgs. It would be difficult to even find
douglas fir and, if so, it would not be cheap. I have trouble imagining
it - a western wood - winding up in New Jersey when SYP or SFP is much
closer and cheaper/


Better take that up with Home Depot:


2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. Prime Kiln-Dried Douglas Fir Stud



2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. Prime Kiln-Dried Douglas Fir Stud
5.0 out of 5
(2) Write a Review
Questions & Answers (2)
$3.13 /each



Neptune, NJ store.
  #35  
Old March 20th 17, 03:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,348
Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 08:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 5:59:20 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:43:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 03/19/2017 9:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:
...

IDK what they used back then, but 2x4s today are not pine, they
are Douglas Fir.

Only if you're in the western US or Canada (or Japan/China where
most Doug fir is exported to)...the kids in the lumber yards
around here don't even know what "Doug fur" is; some kind of pet,
maybe???

Douglas Fir is WAY too valuable to be used for residential framing,
even here in Canada./


Maybe true in Canada, but HD and lumberyards in the US are full of
cheap 2x4s made of Douglas Fir.



Only in your town...
  #36  
Old March 20th 17, 03:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,348
Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 08:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 10:56:49 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message
...
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:43:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 03/19/2017 9:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:
...

IDK what they used back then, but 2x4s today are not pine, they
are Douglas Fir.

Only if you're in the western US or Canada (or Japan/China where
most Doug fir is exported to)...the kids in the lumber yards
around here don't even know what "Doug fur" is; some kind of pet,
maybe???
Douglas Fir is WAY too valuable to be used for residential
framing, even here in Canada./ What we buy is labled as "SPF" =
meaning mixed softwood - loosely spruce, pine and fir - but the
fir is seldom "douglas Fir" (more likely Balsam in the east and
Alpine in the west) and there is sometimes a bit of tamarac and
hemlock mixed in.


Same here in Florida at the borgs. It would be difficult to even
find douglas fir and, if so, it would not be cheap. I have trouble
imagining it - a western wood - winding up in New Jersey when SYP
or SFP is much closer and cheaper/


Better take that up with Home Depot:


2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. Prime Kiln-Dried Douglas Fir Stud



2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. Prime Kiln-Dried Douglas Fir Stud
5.0 out of 5
(2) Write a Review
Questions & Answers (2)
$3.13 /each



Neptune, NJ store.


Well then that means every store all across the fruited plains has
them...

****ing pathetic You really show your ass every day..
  #37  
Old March 20th 17, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 309
Default 2 x 4's the old ones


"trader_4" wrote in message
...
On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 10:56:49 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message
...
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:43:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 03/19/2017 9:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:
...

IDK what they used back then, but 2x4s today are not pine, they are
Douglas Fir.

Only if you're in the western US or Canada (or Japan/China where most
Doug fir is exported to)...the kids in the lumber yards around here
don't even know what "Doug fur" is; some kind of pet, maybe???
Douglas Fir is WAY too valuable to be used for residential framing,
even here in Canada./ What we buy is labled as "SPF" = meaning mixed
softwood - loosely spruce, pine and fir - but the fir is seldom
"douglas Fir" (more likely Balsam in the east and Alpine in the west)
and there is sometimes a bit of tamarac and hemlock mixed in.


Same here in Florida at the borgs. It would be difficult to even find
douglas fir and, if so, it would not be cheap. I have trouble imagining
it - a western wood - winding up in New Jersey when SYP or SFP is much
closer and cheaper/


Better take that up with Home Depot:


2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. Prime Kiln-Dried Douglas Fir Stud



2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. Prime Kiln-Dried Douglas Fir Stud
5.0 out of 5
(2) Write a Review
Questions & Answers (2)
$3.13 /each


Neptune, NJ store.


Strange, no douglas fir shows of on that store's page for studs. Yellow
pine, yes but not in stock. The ubiquitous "whitewood" (SFP) yes but no
douglas fir. Got a better link?
http://www.homedepot.com/s/wood%2520stud?NCNI-5


  #38  
Old March 20th 17, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,686
Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 7:09:39 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
...
On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 10:56:49 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message
...
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:43:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 03/19/2017 9:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:
...

IDK what they used back then, but 2x4s today are not pine, they are
Douglas Fir.

Only if you're in the western US or Canada (or Japan/China where most
Doug fir is exported to)...the kids in the lumber yards around here
don't even know what "Doug fur" is; some kind of pet, maybe???
Douglas Fir is WAY too valuable to be used for residential framing,
even here in Canada./ What we buy is labled as "SPF" = meaning mixed
softwood - loosely spruce, pine and fir - but the fir is seldom
"douglas Fir" (more likely Balsam in the east and Alpine in the west)
and there is sometimes a bit of tamarac and hemlock mixed in.

Same here in Florida at the borgs. It would be difficult to even find
douglas fir and, if so, it would not be cheap. I have trouble imagining
it - a western wood - winding up in New Jersey when SYP or SFP is much
closer and cheaper/


Better take that up with Home Depot:


2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. Prime Kiln-Dried Douglas Fir Stud



2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. Prime Kiln-Dried Douglas Fir Stud
5.0 out of 5
(2) Write a Review
Questions & Answers (2)
$3.13 /each


Neptune, NJ store.


Strange, no douglas fir shows of on that store's page for studs. Yellow
pine, yes but not in stock. The ubiquitous "whitewood" (SFP) yes but no
douglas fir. Got a better link?
http://www.homedepot.com/s/wood%2520stud?NCNI-5


They show up as Douglas Fir 2x4s in the Neptune store when I
did the search. That's what I quoted from above. IDK what
more you want.
  #39  
Old March 21st 17, 12:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,662
Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On 03/20/2017 05:09 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Strange, no douglas fir shows of on that store's page for studs. Yellow
pine, yes but not in stock. The ubiquitous "whitewood" (SFP) yes but no
douglas fir. Got a better link?


That's a new (to me) use of 'whitewood'. I've always heard it used for
poplar or any of the hardwoods with no prominent grain or color that you
can doll up to resemble more expensive cabinet woods.
  #40  
Old March 21st 17, 10:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 570
Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 8:47:29 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 03/20/2017 05:09 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Strange, no douglas fir shows of on that store's page for studs. Yellow
pine, yes but not in stock. The ubiquitous "whitewood" (SFP) yes but no
douglas fir. Got a better link?


That's a new (to me) use of 'whitewood'. I've always heard it used for
poplar or any of the hardwoods with no prominent grain or color that you
can doll up to resemble more expensive cabinet woods.


I've seen it on the display of SPF studs at Home Despot.

Cindy Hamilton
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.