Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick wood interior?

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:29:31 +0000 (UTC), Alice Jones
wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

'28 Durante. ; ash ; someone shot it.

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

'28 Durante. ; ash ; someone shot it.

John T.

I would have guessed a model B
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

Looks to me a lot like a 31/32 Chevy Baby Grand, going by the shape,
the between-the rails rear mounted fuel tank, and the double bead at
the top of the body. Being an open body, not a sedan, I'd definitely
say there is a VERY good chance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

'28 Durante. ; ash ; someone shot it.

John T.

You could be right - the Durant Rugby (or as it was known up here,
the "star"would be another possibility -(4 cyl Durant)
It is NOT a Ford or an Essex, for sure -

I guess in 32 they diddn't call the phaeton or touring Chevt a Baby
Grand any more -officially .

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

Ash and Oak were commonly used for automotive body framing - Fischer
Body division of General Motors used wood framing up untill 1937.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

'28 Durante. ; ash ; someone shot it.

John T.

I would have guessed a model B

With all that wood it sure wasn't a Ford.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

What were 'Woodies' made from - station wagons were in the 50's.

We had Wood carrier top that had to have Spar put on it now and then.
I want to say the tailgate also, but not the sides.

Martin

wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

Ash and Oak were commonly used for automotive body framing - Fischer
Body division of General Motors used wood framing up untill 1937.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

Ash and Oak were commonly used for automotive body framing - Fischer
Body division of General Motors used wood framing up untill 1937.

By the fifties woodies were all steel bodys with wood trim. GM's last
wood framed body was 1937. Ford's last real "woodie" was 1951,( Maple
and Birch.) and other than the woodie wagons, Ford was all steel from
1935 on.. Even the '40's Ford woodies were steel framed, with wood
skins and "trim" which was only semi-structural.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

Ash and Oak were commonly used for automotive body framing - Fischer
Body division of General Motors used wood framing up untill 1937.

The Chrysler Town and Country convertible in the forties just had
decorative wood trim on an all steel body, as did Ford's woodies from
'53 on. Very shortly thereafter, even that trim was "fake wood"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?
Ash and Oak were commonly used for automotive body framing - Fischer
Body division of General Motors used wood framing up untill 1937.

The Chrysler Town and Country convertible in the forties just had
decorative wood trim on an all steel body, as did Ford's woodies from
'53 on. Very shortly thereafter, even that trim was "fake wood"

The last exterior wood trim I saw on a car consisted of vinyl decals.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Plastic Monster
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Alice Jones wrote:
Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

69 Mustang, V8, with AC

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Alice Jones was heard to mutter:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

For comparison...
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=39076
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:

Alice Jones was heard to mutter:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

For comparison...
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=39076

So it was *not* a 1928 Durant D-60 4-door Sedan.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 10:18:25 -0400, Casper
wrote:

Alice Jones was heard to mutter:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

For comparison...
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=39076

Note the Durant doesn't have the "double bead" across the back of the
body. That is pretty common on the GM cars of the period - and the
rounded, curved in at the bottom profile was pretty well exclusive to
1932 - '28-30 were a lot straighter, for sure.

It's NOT a Durant - only a 28 Star would be close, and it does not
have a one piece pressed steel bustle - the sides and rear quarters
are separate and have a "bead" vertically on both sides to join them.
This is a pressed steel "bucket" - That, with the double bead around
the top of the beltline, rules our any Durant - and if it's a Chevy
pretty well narrows it down ro a '32 . On closer inspection, it's not
a touring or Phaeton because the door of a phaeton or fordoor would

So whatever it is, it started life as a 2 door, it's a stamped steel
tub, I'd say LIKELY a 32 Chevy 2 door with the roof cut off.
(Assuming it is a North American built vehicle)

Posted to alt.home.repair

For comparison...
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=39076

So it was *not* a 1928 Durant D-60 4-door Sedan.

.. it might have been a modified version.
... people were really radical, way-back-then.
John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Alice Jones was heard to mutter:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

For comparison...
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=39076

As I said - no double bead at the top, and it's a 3 piece body
instead of a preswsed steal tub. Defineitely NOT a Durant of any
stripe.
Almost CERTAINLY a 32 Chevy from all the clues.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

On closer inspection, it's not a touring or Phaeton because the door of a
phaeton or fordoor would go back over the fender

For me, that was clue that it couldn't be the model Casper linked to in
his post.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:45:55 -0600, (Neill
Massello) wrote:

Casper wrote:

Alice Jones was heard to mutter:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

For comparison...
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=39076

So it was *not* a 1928 Durant D-60 4-door Sedan.

Take a look at ANY durant - the closest would be a 28 Star (or
"RUGBY" as it was exported as) but the Durany is a 3 piece tub, not a
stamped steel tub as shown - and the side panel is too long for a 4
door or touring.
I've been around a lot of old cars - and the first thing that came to
mind, with the way the gas tank is mounted, the double "bead" or
"feature line" around the top, the moderate curve to the obviously
stamped steel tub, and the lever shocks peaking through the floor on
the one picture is "32 Chebby". Looked like a Phaeton except the side
panel matches a 2 door body, not a 4.- and all "Chebbies" of that era
did not have a separate roof - so it looks like somebody took off the
roof to make a "topless" two door - not to use the roof elsewheere
because the "riser" which would be left after removing the roof
appears to have been metal-worked out (if indead it WAS a 2dr Chebby)

I'm still wracking my brain to find a better answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Massello) wrote:

Casper wrote:

[...]

H'mmm, you just answered a question I had in my head, I saw a 2dr
Chevy sedan and the tub near as I could see, seemed to fit, and I saw
a sedan where the top was off, but there was a wooden post left
attached to the hub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 2:12:05 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:29:31 +0000 (UTC), Alice Jones

snip

Ash and Oak were commonly used for automotive body framing - Fischer
Body division of General Motors used wood framing up untill 1937.

Errm...1936 chev had an all steel. I had one in HS.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:28:28 -0400, Casper
wrote:

On closer inspection, it's not a touring or Phaeton because the door of a
phaeton or fordoor would go back over the fender claire@snyder

(Neill Massello) was heard to mutter:
For me, that was clue that it couldn't be the model Casper linked to in
his post.

I only posted the link for visual reference to a (any) Durant as
hubops mentioned it.

FWIW, after looking at the back of a few Chevys (got a friend in a car
club with a few Chevys, Fords, etc), can't say I see a resemblance.

I'm not as into cars as some and anyway I prefer British ones.

Looks like Mother Earth is taking all those parts back in the photos.

There is only ONE YEAR of Chevy yhat resembles that body - and it
resembles it very closely. That year is 1932. NOT 1931, and NOT 1933.
Totally different animals. 1932 was a 1 year only "baby Cadillac"

see:
http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/stagi...rofile_Web.jpg
and
http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/c...te-sedan-3.jpg
That one is a deluxe, not a standard. Deluxe is a "6 wheeler" while
the standard only has one spare, on the rear.
It is also a 4 door - so you can see the one referenced by the OP
definitely is NOT a 4 door anything.
Here is another 2 door - not as rough as the one referenced --
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...d1c053f025.jpg
and another
http://dansoldcars.net/100_4056.jpg
http://dansoldcars.net/100_3335.jpg
and another:
http://davidsclassiccars.com/images/...dr-sedan-5.jpg
and another:
http://www.cars-on-line.com/photo/50...hev50237-1.jpg
and another:
http://davidsclassiccars.com/images/...ent-orig-7.jpg
and another:
http://smclassiccars.com/uploads/pos...-hot-rod-5.JPG
Note the "feature lines" at the beltline. and around the bottom of
the "tub" - and the gastank cover.
In all my years working on and playing with old cars I have not seen
ANY other vehicle that so closely matches the "tub" referenced by the
OP. It IS rather unique, when you get right down to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 12:40:12 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 2:12:05 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:29:31 +0000 (UTC), Alice Jones

snip

Ash and Oak were commonly used for automotive body framing - Fischer
Body division of General Motors used wood framing up untill 1937.

Errm...1936 chev had an all steel. I had one in HS.

Nope. 36 still had some wood framing in the doors and doorposts.
Mabee not quite as much as in a '35 - but '1937 saw the first ALL
STEEL Chevy body. 1934 was the first year with an all steel "turret
top" roof (no more slats and chicken-wire), but the doorframes and
doorposts were still steel-wraped wood up untill the 1937 model year.

here is a picture showing how much wood was in a 36 4 door sedan.
http://demiurgiac.com/36wood/'36%20Factory%20wood%20drawings.pdf
and here is a 36 chevy door - - -
http://demiurgiac.com/36wood/'36%20Factory%20wood%20drawings.pdf

Some low production vehicles like sedan deliveries had wood in them up
into the forties.

Take a look at this article:
http://demiurgiac.com/36wood/'36%20Factory%20wood%20drawings.pdf

I know my old Chevies. I had a 28 (Wood wheeled National) and a 35
(master)

"Termite's delight"
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'd say this matches it to a "T"

Looking at what you posted here I'd love to have the body, with a
chassis tag for registration and channel the body by setting it over a
frame and chop the top to about an 8" window, put a Tbird rear seat
(cocktail lounge style) from a late middle 60's in the rear, nice
buckets up front, a built 4 bolt main Chevy 350 with a Paxton blower
with side drafts on it, plus the usual goodies with laughing gas for
special occasions. Done up in chrome with a deep lacquer black cherry
paint job. Make a nice Sunday family drive car, or Friday and
Saturday evening car for cruising and hanging out at a good burger
place.

Even a decent rat rod would be good when your too busy with other
stuff.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote in
:

Looking at what you posted here I'd love to have the body, with a
chassis tag for registration and channel the body by setting it over a
frame and chop the top to about an 8" window, put a Tbird rear seat
(cocktail lounge style) from a late middle 60's in the rear, nice
buckets up front, a built 4 bolt main Chevy 350 with a Paxton blower
with side drafts on it, plus the usual goodies with laughing gas for
special occasions. Done up in chrome with a deep lacquer black cherry
paint job. Make a nice Sunday family drive car, or Friday and
Saturday evening car for cruising and hanging out at a good burger
place.

A Paxton supercharger? Not a 6-71? Granted, the Paxton
will probably work a lot better (and be a lot cheaper), but
the 6-71 has that classic blown hot-rod appearance.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 00:42:44 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

OFWW wrote in
:

Looking at what you posted here I'd love to have the body, with a
chassis tag for registration and channel the body by setting it over a
frame and chop the top to about an 8" window, put a Tbird rear seat
(cocktail lounge style) from a late middle 60's in the rear, nice
buckets up front, a built 4 bolt main Chevy 350 with a Paxton blower
with side drafts on it, plus the usual goodies with laughing gas for
special occasions. Done up in chrome with a deep lacquer black cherry
paint job. Make a nice Sunday family drive car, or Friday and
Saturday evening car for cruising and hanging out at a good burger
place.

A Paxton supercharger? Not a 6-71? Granted, the Paxton
will probably work a lot better (and be a lot cheaper), but
the 6-71 has that classic blown hot-rod appearance.

John

Not very common to see side-drafts on a Paxon or McCulloch
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, learn something every day! I was wondering if there could have been some wood in there.