Bruce E. Harang II

Default Replacing attic insulation

I have a house that was built in the 1950's and looks like it has the
original fiberglass insulation in the attic. I would like to take out the
old and install new insulation but the joists are only 2x6's and the
recommended R-value for Connecticut is R-48 in the attic. I did not know if
I could toe-nail another 2x6 on top of the originals to get me up to 11" so
I can use some R-38. What other options do I have? I want to keep the
storage space up there so blown insulation is not an option. This project
was going to wait until this fall but while installing some recessed lights
in the kitchen I pulled back some of the insulation in the attic and found
quite a few termites or flying ants. Now when the exterminator gets here I
want to pull all the insulation out of the attic so I can have the problem
eradicated without question. So it looks like I need a solution to my
insulation problem now instead of this fall. I also noticed that the 3/8"
drywall in the ceiling below the attic has a 1/2" black, fiber-like material
backing it. Is this a form of insulation and if so how would I figure out
it's R-value?

Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks,
Bruce

Joseph Meehan

Bruce E. Harang II wrote:
I have a house that was built in the 1950's and looks like it has the
original fiberglass insulation in the attic. I would like to take out
the old and install new insulation

Why remove the original fiberglass insulation? What do you want to
replace it with. It does not wear out.

but the joists are only 2x6's and
the recommended R-value for Connecticut is R-48 in the attic. I did
not know if I could toe-nail another 2x6 on top of the originals to
get me up to 11"

You could build a 2x6 platform over the existing structure and add
another 6 inches. I might suggest blown in as that tends to seal air leaks
better.

so I can use some R-38. What other options do I
have? I want to keep the storage space up there so blown insulation
is not an option. This project was going to wait until this fall but
while installing some recessed lights in the kitchen I pulled back
some of the insulation in the attic and found quite a few termites or
flying ants. Now when the exterminator gets here I want to pull all
the insulation out of the attic so I can have the problem eradicated
without question.

If you get a good exterminator, I doubt if you will need to pull up the
insulation. Let the exterminator decide. Make sure you get a good one with
references and licensees and insurance. Then make sure he insures your job.
The treatment for termites greatly depends on the type and the area you are
in.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

11" will get you to r 38.5 apx. Leave the old its a mess to work in it.
also figure in a settling % maybe 10%

Bruce E. Harang II

I was planning to remove the old insulation because it is compressed almost
flat as well as missing in some areas. If it's better to leave the old stuff
in I can do that but I am not worried about messy or hard work if the right
way is to remove the old and install all new insulation.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Bruce E. Harang II wrote:
[...]

Joseph Meehan

Bruce E. Harang II wrote:
I was planning to remove the old insulation because it is compressed
almost flat as well as missing in some areas. If it's better to leave
the old stuff in I can do that but I am not worried about messy or
hard work if the right way is to remove the old and install all new
insulation.

Fiberglass compressed almost flat????? How did that happen? Was
something stored on top of it?

In any case, I suggest leaving it and filling above it. If you have 10"
of fiberglass and compress it to 5" you will get about half the insulation
value as it had at 10" So just leave it and blow in additional above.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

xrongor

afaik insulation must be rated at its 'after settling' r factor. when its
new its a little higher and it settles out to its rated value.

randy

"m Ransley" wrote in message
11" will get you to r 38.5 apx. Leave the old its a mess to work in it.
also figure in a settling % maybe 10%

m Ransley

Attic insulation is rated full fluff not after settle, thats a HO
problem, I put in r 110 but in reality its R 90. It is rated at "its
Maximum potential " not how it settles or can be screwed up, by
compression.

bill

[...]

Termites do not live in your attic.
(They nest in the ground and your house is just a convenient lunch
counter.)

Treatments are outside your house, where the termites live.

On the other hand, if you have carpeter ants ... that's another
story, but the exterminator will tell you what you have.